Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso)

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/14, 06:33 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso)

So I placed an order for a passenger side JLT oil separator last week. Once ordered, I heard and did more research and found out that the JLTs now seem to not be "as good" as once thought. Can someone explain to me why it is now not as good as it was once regarded to be? I swear for a couple years now, I always read that folks liked their JLTs. Did that change? Why? What happened?

So I know that Bob's oil separator is another brand that seems to be getting some high regard. I'm curious as to why? Moroso is as good too?

The "fate" part of this thread, has to do with the vendor sending me the WRONG part. The driver side was sent to me instead. So, I was able to return it today and awaiting my refund. Therefore, I have the luxury and liberty of placing another order.

So which one should I get? And why???

Here's pics of the "wrong" oil separator. Funny how things work out huh?
Attached Thumbnails Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso)-image-1287256376.jpg   Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso)-image-2455662073.jpg  
Old 6/12/14, 06:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I have a JLT passenger side oil separator, and it's been collecting a decent amount of oil since I installed. I have heard the Bob's seems to be a bit more effective, but have no personal experience with it. I can say that after ~1000 street miles I got about a tablespoon, and I also collected about a tablespoon after ~120 track miles recently.
Old 6/12/14, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From all the research I have done, the JLT just doesn't collect as much. Some people say half, some less than half. Bob's is widely regarded as the best, with the Moroso seeming to be a quality piece as well. I don't have the technical reasons why. I initially wrote off the idea of the JLT because it lacked a bracket. Even though the lines are very stiff, I didn't feel comfortable with it just hanging there. I liked the look of Moroso and have used Moroso stuff in the past and liked the quality, so that's what I went with.

Sorry I can't speak to personal experience yet, just from the research I did.
Old 6/12/14, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GT500 Oil Separator Shootout: http://youtu.be/k2akU6d_onw

Check out this video.
Old 6/12/14, 08:23 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by dave07
2013 GT500 Oil Separator Shootout: http://youtu.be/k2akU6d_onw Check out this video.
I saw that before too! Did you read the comments? The actual owners of both bobs and jlt were arguing on the comments section about pushing vs drawing air. Lol. Funny
Old 6/13/14, 12:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Zto5,
I have an extra JLT (black) passenger side separator you can have for the cost of shipping. Fits 2011-14 mustang GT. Check your PM's
Old 6/13/14, 01:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
After researching these for a while I chose the Bob's unit (Bigger, effective, choice of mount, competitive price). Since you are now supercharged, you might consider getting a driver's side unit as well.

I remember seeing a firewall mounted unit that was plumbed for both passenger and driver sides, but I don't recall who makes it or how effective it was. Anyone?
Old 6/13/14, 01:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
After researching these for a while I chose the Bob's unit (Bigger, effective, choice of mount, competitive price). Since you are now supercharged, you might consider getting a driver's side unit as well. I remember seeing a firewall mounted unit that was plumbed for both passenger and driver sides, but I don't recall who makes it or how effective it was. Anyone?
I believe Bob's makes that one...
Old 6/13/14, 04:45 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by silverstate777
Zto5, I have an extra JLT (black) passenger side separator you can have for the cost of shipping. Fits 2011-14 mustang GT. Check your PM's
John thank you for the offer. Can I ponder it? May I ask why you are selling?

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
After researching these for a while I chose the Bob's unit (Bigger, effective, choice of mount, competitive price). Since you are now supercharged, you might consider getting a driver's side unit as well. I remember seeing a firewall mounted unit that was plumbed for both passenger and driver sides, but I don't recall who makes it or how effective it was. Anyone?
Yeah that's what I heard, that the bob is the best. How much truth there is to that, I'm not sure. As for the driver side option, it's my understanding that even if supercharged, the driver side still puts out little to no oil.

Any dark side (supercharged) members on here that are running a driver side oil separator that can chime or attest to the presence or absence of oil in their catch cans???
Old 6/13/14, 05:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
That separator shootout video was cool ... really makes you wonder what the hell the Shelby marketing people are thinking. They could've at least had JLT make the stuff for them, not go with an even worse design
I would've loved for that shootout to have included a Billet Technology can and a Moroso unit
Old 6/13/14, 05:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
John thank you for the offer. Can I ponder it? May I ask why you are selling?
Sure, take your time. Since the Roush blower upgrade, my old JLT no longer fits. Now it just needs a new home.

File photo:

Name:  JLTfilephoto_2_zpscecfd8a0.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  262.0 KB

My Roush:

Name:  20140611_071508_resized-PBCopy_zps4976282a.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  152.4 KB
Old 6/13/14, 06:45 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
That separator shootout video was cool ... really makes you wonder what the hell the Shelby marketing people are thinking. They could've at least had JLT make the stuff for them, not go with an even worse design I would've loved for that shootout to have included a Billet Technology can and a Moroso unit
Yeah do you have a billet technology one already, gabe? And what's all the hype about Moroso? Where to buy?

Originally Posted by silverstate777
Sure, take your time. Since the Roush blower upgrade, my old JLT no longer fits. Now it just needs a new home. File photo: My Roush:
The roush looks mean! And as far as your jlt unit, looks good in black! Did it capture a lot of oil during its tenure with you?
Old 6/13/14, 07:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah do you have a billet technology one already, gabe? And what's all the hype about Moroso? Where to buy?
Still waiting on the BT piece to be delivered.

Had one on my '07 Charger 5.7 and it caught a good amount and kept the back of the throttle body nice and clean

Name:  2009_6-14_BT-blk-can-fittings-5.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  116.9 KB

This was the level in there after 1500 miles on that engine:

Name:  2008_2-14_catch_can_1500mi-4.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  53.1 KB

And they also have clear bottoms available so you can easily tell when it's time to empty it:

Name:  2009_12-2_BT-clear-can1.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 6/13/14, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

The roush looks mean! And as far as your jlt unit, looks good in black! Did it capture a lot of oil during its tenure with you?
Thanks. I originally installed the JLT with just 24 original miles on the clock. After the first 2,000 (break-in) miles, it was 1/3 full when I removed it. No telling how it would have performed in the long run, as it was too short lived.
Old 6/13/14, 07:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have been researching the same thing for my new GT. I emailed Billet Tech and they do not have one for a Mustang. They are about 3 hours away from me and asked me if I would like to come there and they would make one and install it. I am seriously considering that and told them they there are some people interested in one for a Mustang. Before ordering my GT I really wanted a Challenger and have been on their forums for a while and on those forums they really like the Billet tech.

I have read for months on this and I'm tired of reading just want the best I can get.

I pulled the Hose on the passenger side lat night. I have 350 miles and there is still no oil residue in the tube or the fitting. I did notice there is a pin in the hose connector in the valve cover HUM?
Old 6/13/14, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Still waiting on the BT piece to be delivered.

Had one on my '07 Charger 5.7 and it caught a good amount and kept the back of the throttle body nice and clean

This was the level in there after 1500 miles on that engine:

And they also have clear bottoms available so you can easily tell when it's time to empty it:

Gabe What did you order? I would rather not drive to the other side of the state?
Old 6/13/14, 07:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Gabe What did you order? I would rather not drive to the other side of the state?
Haven't ordered anything yet.
Sent them pics of the engine bay and waiting for the piece to show up.
I work with them on test-fitting ...
Old 6/13/14, 07:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you have a good chunk of time to read this thread

Some really great installs on this thread, enjoy!

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=880.0
Old 6/13/14, 08:40 AM
I Have No Life

Still waiting on the BT piece to be delivered. Had one on my '07 Charger 5.7 and it caught a good amount and kept the back of the throttle body nice and clean This was the level in there after 1500 miles on that engine: And they also have clear bottoms available so you can easily tell when it's time to empty it:
Thanks for the information Gabe…

So I have a general dumb question for all you smart folks out there regarding this oil separator and how it works.

If the catch can is catching a quarter or third that much oil in the can, does that mean the engine is actually burning or losing that much oil in that many miles? I assume that some people don't dump the oil back in to the engine and that they actually throw it away correct?
Old 6/13/14, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the information Gabe…

So I have a general dumb question for all you smart folks out there regarding this oil separator and how it works.

If the catch can is catching a quarter or third that much oil in the can, does that mean the engine is actually burning or losing that much oil in that many miles? I assume that some people don't dump the oil back in to the engine and that they actually throw it away correct?
No. That's not engine oil.
It's the moisture being filtered out of the oily air circulating through the engine.
And no, it's not something you'd pour into your oil.
It's a thinner fluid than oil, it's a byproduct of the combustion process that gets suspended in the air in the engine

Quick Reply: Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso)