2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Objective Comments on CorvetteForum.com

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/10 | 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Corvette owners are a classy group of people. :-)

(Ignore my SN...)
I'd have to agree. Funny thing is my dad is a Corvette man. He still has his '68 Corvette Vert, 327 Stringray. That thing is an absolutely magnification machine. And somehow I grew up to be a Ford man... funny how that happens.
Old 4/17/10 | 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
If that had been written over at Camaro5 I would have immediately responded with, "Yes, Corvette owners, by and large, no longer work at McDonald's and have completed the 8th grade."

Just because I'm an asshat like that.

Old 4/17/10 | 09:42 PM
GT Member

I've also been on the Corvette forum for over 4 years, since I got my C6 vert. Traded a '03 Mustang GT vert for it, and now I'm trading the C6 on an '11 GT vert. Love the Vette, but after a few years, you really start seeing the disadvantages of a car like that. Had a '57 vette when I was a kid, but now that I'm an old fart, I have to say the Mustang appeals to me more. I live in a rural area, and you can't even clear a dead possum with the chin spoiler on a C6. You scrape on almost every inclined driveway, and are constantly wondering when you are shopping if you can fit your purchase in the car. And I know how nice the new Stang is, but it will still be easier to sleep in a motel not having to worry about the C6 in the parking lot. The car is a magnet to curious hands.

I could afford to get another C6, but I'd rather save 20 large and enjoy the more civilized comforts of the Stang compared to the Vette. Hell of a lot easier getting in and out of, too, especially if you are 6'3" with arthritis in your knees.

Last, but sure not least, for the last 4 years I have really missed the sound of my V8 Stang....the Vette doesn't hold a candle to the Stang sound. And now with 412 HP, I doubt I'll be missing much in performance.
Old 4/18/10 | 07:05 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

I have to agree about the people on that Corvette forum. They seem to be a nice and mellow group of people.
Old 4/18/10 | 05:50 PM
V6 Member

They are cool because no matter how nice the 5.0 is they know their vettes are classics that no Mustang can compare to quite frankly. Even the gt500 IMO. I love my stang and would actually take it over a vette for myself but the vette is an awsome car (crappy interior and all).
Old 4/18/10 | 05:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ttiguy
They are cool because no matter how nice the 5.0 is they know their vettes are classics that no Mustang can compare to quite frankly. Even the gt500 IMO. I love my stang and would actually take it over a vette for myself but the vette is an awsome car (crappy interior and all).
You are sure right about the crappy interior. Only 23,000 miles, and the leather looks like 100K miles (with a hole in the driver's side). Didn't look that great when it was new, either.

Another big problem with owning one is service. Unless you go to a huge dealership, you might as well be bringing a Ferrari into their service department. Several times I was told "Yes, it would be covered under warranty, but we can't fix it". That never happened to me with any of the many Mustangs I owned.
Old 4/18/10 | 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I always wanted to have a vette ever since I started driving. Now that its getting close to when I can actually get the ca I want, the stang has almost as much power and is more livable as a DD. Its nice to have dreams, but the almighty dollar is pretty darn important.
Old 4/18/10 | 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CG205
I live in a rural area, and you can't even clear a dead possum with the chin spoiler on a C6. You scrape on almost every inclined driveway, and are constantly wondering when you are shopping if you can fit your purchase in the car.
Right on. Enthusiasts often ask why the Mustang rides so high and lowering it is popular, but I for one appreciate it's ability to clear dead possums. I've seen low riding cars plowing McDonalds cups across parking lots, and it's not a cool thing IMO. There are benefits to having a decent ground clearance. And to having a reasonable trunk as well.

All this is lost on the young, but when they get older, they will start to realize there is more value to a Mustang than just it's performance potential. When a kid is finally on the way and talk begins to stir about trading the Mustang in on a nice family minivan, some of you may find that a backseat with LATCH and a reasonable trunk are suddenly very nice features to have that may just spare you a minivan neutering.
Old 4/18/10 | 06:55 PM
eci
Banned

You can put more in a C6 then you can a Mustang, unless it's a fox hatch. Just sayin'.
Old 4/18/10 | 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
You can put more in a C6 then you can a Mustang, unless it's a fox hatch. Just sayin'.
Please elaborate.
Old 4/18/10 | 09:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
I traded my '03 GT vert for a C6 vert, and I'll guarandamntee you that more will fit in the Stang....especially in the back seat. On a trip, anything more than overnight in the C6, and you'll be looking for laundramat unless you wear nothing but shorts and T-shirts.
Old 4/18/10 | 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a friend that is a c5 owner and also a friend who is a c3 owner. They are both very nice people who like mustangs as well. There are a holes in every group of people no matter what including mustangs but there are also very nice peeps in all groups who appreciate everything. If I had money to burn I would buy a vette but I dont.
Old 4/18/10 | 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gentlemen,

Proof Mature dialog is alive and well on C5.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...80#post1734980

Nuff said!

Greg
Old 4/18/10 | 11:49 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
Gentlemen,

Nuff said!

Greg
Nuff said indeed!
Old 4/19/10 | 01:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
Gentlemen,

Nuff said!

Greg
I think the point of that thread is that the girls are TRYING to tell the Camaro buyers that they are *****! They can't tell them, so by showing the *****...well, you get the picture
Old 4/20/10 | 04:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Most, if not all, Corvette drivers I've met and interacted with have been very nice, reasonable, levelheaded people. Perhaps it is these traits that allow them to be successful enough to buy a Corvette in the first place? Who knows. In any case, they strike me (even beyond that thread) as people who know a good car when they see it.

I've always considered the purchase of a new Corvette to be the attainment of the American Dream - you know you've made it when you drive a new C6 off the lot. One day...
Old 4/20/10 | 12:51 PM
GT Member

[quote=I've always considered the purchase of a new Corvette to be the attainment of the American Dream - you know you've made it when you drive a new C6 off the lot. One day...[/quote]

You nailed it ! I'll never forget how that felt. But after a few years, reality sets in. You no longer get that rush when you wash it, put the top down, and see your reflection in the store windows as you pass by. Then you start to appreciate other things in life, and get back to that great Stang convertible you had before, and how you were able to take your granddaughter along in the back seat when you and your wife took a drive. I can't wait for my new GT to arrive so we can do that once more.
Old 4/20/10 | 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CG205
You nailed it ! I'll never forget how that felt. But after a few years, reality sets in. You no longer get that rush when you wash it, put the top down, and see your reflection in the store windows as you pass by. Then you start to appreciate other things in life, and get back to that great Stang convertible you had before, and how you were able to take your granddaughter along in the back seat when you and your wife took a drive. I can't wait for my new GT to arrive so we can do that once more.
Dreams can't last forever...