Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

No Tux Black - STILL - WTF?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/11, 11:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Tux Black - STILL - WTF?!?!?!

Tuxedo Black is back, and offered on darn near every Ford and Lincoln across the line up - except Mustang! What gives? Even Roush is spraying his Mustang's in "Black Diamond". Come on Ford, a Tux Black Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Edge, Flex, Explorer, F150, Taurus, Expedition, MKZ, MKT, MKX, & Navigator - you're killing us here!!!!!!!
Old 11/12/11, 11:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hear ya, but tell you the truth I have had my car next to a tux black truck and I liked mine better
Old 11/13/11, 04:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Taurus is TB, and I really don't think it would 'go' on the Mustang. Too busy. It looks amazing when clean, but that usually lasts about 12-1/2 minutes.
Old 11/13/11, 05:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with the others, it is not a mustang color. My Edge was a TB and yes it was nice but again doesn't belong on a mustang.
Old 11/13/11, 07:19 AM

As I noted in another thread, my dealer told me the factory in Japan that made the Tuxedo Back paint was wiped out in the tsunami and won't be back on line. They have several orders for TB vehicles and its a real problem. Apparently some people feel strongly about that particular color.

If the color has such a strong demand I would hope Ford would be able to source another vendor to get that color back in the supply chain to keep the customers coming. Maybe one of the customer service reps can follow up on this.

B-man
Old 11/13/11, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with you guys. TB is a nice color but it doesn't belong on the mustang
Old 11/13/11, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Why not have acouple shades of different colors offered? If you want regular black then ok, if you want TB then thats fine too. And they should bring alot of colors back. Like Alloy gray!!
Old 11/13/11, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boveman
As I noted in another thread, my dealer told me the factory in Japan that made the Tuxedo Back paint was wiped out in the tsunami and won't be back on line. They have several orders for TB vehicles and its a real problem. Apparently some people feel strongly about that particular color.

If the color has such a strong demand I would hope Ford would be able to source another vendor to get that color back in the supply chain to keep the customers coming. Maybe one of the customer service reps can follow up on this.

B-man

If Ford CAN'T get TB for Mustangs why can it get it for other vehicles?!?!?!
Old 11/13/11, 02:54 PM

I guess I didn't get the point across--TB is not available right now for any vehicle line. The paint factory in Japan was wiped out and will not be back on line.

B-man
Old 11/13/11, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess I didn't get the point across--TB is not available right now for any vehicle line. The paint factory in Japan was wiped out and will not be back on line.

B-man
Just asking here but, why does it say tux black on other models if it's not available?
Old 11/13/11, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

I would hope Ford would be able to source another vendor to get that color back in the supply chain to keep the customers coming. Maybe one of the customer service reps can follow up on this.
Certain ingredients for certain pigments can only be found in certain parts of the world. It's not as easy as having a different factory in a different part of the world producing it. All auto manufacturers are hurting when it comes to certain pigments.
Old 11/13/11, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My wife's Edge is TB and it's not black compared to my Mustang. I don't care for it.

Last edited by TheReaper; 11/13/11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11/13/11, 11:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Oh this is easily explained. I had the discussion with a GM of a Ford store. It's just numbers.

Mustang was/is? being made in the *same building* as the Mazda 6. In 2005-2008?, on that 6, you could get a Copper color. (in other words, Bronze, or Emberglo, substitutes! Which is what I wanted) But not on the Mustang! WTF FORD?!?

Well, it turns out, it's all about demographics on what would sell. Believe it or not, it's NOT about what WE want, it's about what can SELL ON THE LOT AFTER SITTING. See, the dealers have to sell the cars, and they actually buy them from Ford... so they have to make sure what they get doesn't sit around, and nothing but 'conformity' sells to everyone who just walks in. Special orders don't count.

With that in mind, in effect, you wind up with 5 shades of grey, two being white and black outright, then 3 shades of grey/silver; two shades of red, and two shades of blue. That's it. Anything else is weird, and isn't meant to stick about, i.e., a 'yearly' change, and is definitely meant to be more special... because it's just NOT gonna sell everywhere. No matter how awesome that color is... it's not a big seller to *everyone*. Everyone loves black, white, red... but not everyone loves orange, grabber green, and sadly, Emberglo.

So, if there's a black, then the other black is redundant. There will be only one black. Not two. No matter how awesome the pearly black is, the plain solid black is the one they're going with, so you lose on that.

Welcome to the Walmart version of car sales. Enjoy.

In '67 you could have something like 21 colors? with 8 whole interior colors (some two tone!) in 2 major interior designs, with or without leather. Now you get 10 colors with 3 major colors with maybe optional seat leathers as accents.

The difference? You ordered your cars, and you waited for them. Now, the cars are waiting for you, so buy it today and SAVE!

/I get it, but it still sucks.
Old 11/13/11, 11:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
TB wasn't available for several months, but is now available to order again. Ford only has so many paint booths so they can't just offer ever color people want. They must have decided that TB wouldn't be as popular as regular black.
Old 11/14/11, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You make a lot of good points, Houtex. We are living in a different era than 1967. People have become remarkably conservative when it comes to color. I've worked in a carpet store since the late 1970's. We used to stock carpet in just about every color. The last 20 years, about 90% of the carpet we sell is beige or tan. Grey would be considered "wild". It's not because we don't like colors. We're all sick to death of beige but customers are afraid of color. It's like a switch was flipped in the 1980's and people are afraid of standing out.

Anybody have any theories on why this happened? The death of Elvis Presley, perhaps? The introduction of Diet Coke? Rock Hudson coming out of the closet?
Old 11/14/11, 10:12 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd really like to see a black tri-coat, similar to the Black Diamond color that Cadillac has.
Old 11/14/11, 10:44 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
You make a lot of good points, Houtex. We are living in a different era than 1967. People have become remarkably conservative when it comes to color. I've worked in a carpet store since the late 1970's. We used to stock carpet in just about every color. The last 20 years, about 90% of the carpet we sell is beige or tan. Grey would be considered "wild". It's not because we don't like colors. We're all sick to death of beige but customers are afraid of color. It's like a switch was flipped in the 1980's and people are afraid of standing out.

Anybody have any theories on why this happened? The death of Elvis Presley, perhaps? The introduction of Diet Coke? Rock Hudson coming out of the closet?
As a home builder I've found its a easier to put the color on the walls than it is to have colorful carpet. You can change your mind later and its a heck of a lot easier to repaint the wall than re-carpet the house. So the neutral beiges allow people to change the wall palette easier because more colors go with the neutral carpet.

That's if they even have carpet nowadays. In 90% of our custom homes the customers only want it in the bedrooms.

20 years ago it went in all the bedrooms, living areas, dining room, and heck it was even in the master bathroom!
Old 11/14/11, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
As a home builder I've found its a easier to put the color on the walls than it is to have colorful carpet. You can change your mind later and its a heck of a lot easier to repaint the wall than re-carpet the house.
In my part of the country (upper midwest) new homes usually don't have "colored" paint on the walls. If a house is built on spec, the walls are all eggshell. If a house is being built for a particular customer, I hear that the contractors will often complain if the customer wants different paints in different rooms.

It goes for the outsides of the houses, too. Steel siding comes in a number of colors, but drive down some streets and you would think white is the only color available.
Old 11/15/11, 10:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW

Nothing so interesting as these. It's more of the idea of "buy it NOW NOW NOW", so you get stuff that sells now now now. The dealerships themselves really drove the manufacturers into the corner we're in... and that was done by the will of the people (tm). Basically, they go in now and they want a car NOW. Not later. Most people drive into a dealership, kick tires, but pretty much, when they go in, they're leavin' with a car. That's how the dealership wants it, and that's how the manufacturer wants it. Ergo, milquetoast, easily sold colors.

Same with the carpet, btw, a newly redone house is just easier to deal with with neutral colors... namely, tan/beige. It's bright and airy, without being blinding, and makes the house look bigger. It also allows imagination when thinking about bedroom arrangements, for example. Selling becomes easier than with, oh, a nice Cerulian blue carpet, which people *will* request be taken out and swapped for... tan.