Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New Steeda Tune is just simply AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/11, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the brenspeed tune. Third time driving with this tune this evening, been home an hour and my adrenalin is still jacked up... Repeating myself but, violent. Long curvy blackmarks through 1st, 2nd and a bunch of 3rd (until I lost my nerve), garage stinks like burnt rubber, had to tell the wife that it's paint burnin off the exhaust, she just gave me "that" look.
Old 2/8/11, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Very promising reviews!!

How much does the cai have to do with it? I seem to recall that the stock intake was much improved on the 5.0 and that an aftermarket cai wasn't that important.... Not true?
Old 2/8/11, 07:44 PM

I purchased as a package from brenspeed and I know they considered the steeda cai and my exhaust in the programming. The steeda cai has a lot of warnings that say to not use it without a tune as it will cause a lean condition and can damage engine due to the increase in air flow, and more air means more hp. I think the steeda cai makes pretty specific hp increase claims.
Old 2/8/11, 07:54 PM

Mrgtx, I was concerned when I bought the package that I was buying somebodies good marketing and I was skeptical that it would be much different than stock... As soon as I pulled onto the asphalt and pushed a little the difference from stock was not only noticeable it was dramatic, completely different car, you would not be disappointed.
Old 2/9/11, 04:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune is good for 10-15 rwhp same with the CAI. Most are seeing around 25rwhp with both. The tune gives you the most bang though as it can cut off as much as .7 on your 1/4 time were the CAI takes off around .1.
Old 2/9/11, 05:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well... here it is and they claim "up to 44 horse power."
I would love to believe this but obvioulsy this claim could mean a 1 horse power bump or even a horse power loss and still be valid.

Regardless, it sounds like you guys are happy with this CAI and tune and that means a lot more than their power claims.

It's not cheap but it looks a lot nicer than my old JLT intake from my '09....and it better for almost 2x the price.
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...ang-5.0-L.html
Old 2/9/11, 07:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Well... here it is and they claim "up to 44 horse power."
I would love to believe this but obvioulsy this claim could mean a 1 horse power bump or even a horse power loss and still be valid.

Regardless, it sounds like you guys are happy with this CAI and tune and that means a lot more than their power claims.

It's not cheap but it looks a lot nicer than my old JLT intake from my '09....and it better for almost 2x the price.
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...ang-5.0-L.html
That is going from 87 stock to 93 tuned. If you go from 93 to 93 you are looking at a 25 rwhp gain on avg. All the CAI give you about the same gain but it looks like the Airaid gives you the most torque.
Old 2/9/11, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
That is going from 87 stock to 93 tuned. If you go from 93 to 93 you are looking at a 25 rwhp gain on avg. All the CAI give you about the same gain but it looks like the Airaid gives you the most torque.
That sounds fairly realistic but it's unfair since the car requires premium in stock form. Can an oil brand claim a 100% performance increase versus not running any oil at all?

Kidding aside, does anyone know if the parameter in the tune related to the CAI just a matter of "stock" or "aftermarket" or is it specific to their unit?

Basically...I'm wondering if you had a different aftermarket CAI, would the Steeda tune puke on you because it wasn't their's.

I like Steeda's parts from what I have seen... but as a guy who financed his car, I have a hard time dropping $400 on a part when a $250 part does the same thing. I'd rather put that $150 against my loan and be one tiny bit closer to owning it outright.
Old 2/9/11, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

That sounds fairly realistic but it's unfair since the car requires premium in stock form.

Kidding aside, does anyone know if the parameter in the tune related to the CAI just a matter of "stock" or "aftermarket" or is it specific to their unit?

Basically...I'm wondering if you had a different aftermarket CAI, would the Steeda tune puke on you because it wasn't their's.
The car doesn't "require" 93 octane unless you want the most performance available. Likely it was delivered with 87 (mine was) where, according to ford, the car makes 10 less horsepower. (402 vs 412 on 97). Timing is automatically adjusted to deal with octane.

The Steeda CAI tune is specific to their intake. The Tube diameter is larger and different fueling parameters must be adjusted to compensate for that. Since air flows slower through a larger tube (basic physics), the MAF signal is reduced (fueling is leaned out) and this must be compensated for.
There are several CAI's on the market using larger MAF tubes. You NEED to use the proper tune for those to avoid running lean. Steeda may have a tune available for the stock airbox and No-tune CAI's but you'll have to ask them.

Their CAI/Tune combination is excellent...

Old 2/9/11, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
The car doesn't "require" 93 octane unless you want the most performance available. Likely it was delivered with 87 (mine was) where, according to ford, the car makes 10 less horsepower. (402 vs 412 on 97). Timing is automatically adjusted to deal with octane.

The Steeda CAI tune is specific to their intake. The Tube diameter is larger and different fueling parameters must be adjusted to compensate for that. Since air flows slower through a larger tube (basic physics), the MAF signal is reduced (fueling is leaned out) and this must be compensated for.
There are several CAI's on the market using larger MAF tubes. You NEED to use the proper tune for those to avoid running lean. Steeda may have a tune available for the stock airbox and No-tune CAI's but you'll have to ask them.

Their CAI/Tune combination is excellent...

Thanks, Modshack... great information.

I just took a look and it seems that all of the CAIs have gone up. Even the JLT intake is within $40 of the VASTLY better looking Steeda unit.
Old 2/9/11, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by davs
hey gus, which website can i purchase a steeda CAI and tune for a 2011 5.0 Automatic?
thanks
We have updated tunes for automatics also. Your best bet is to call me and mention you are a forum member. You will get better pricing than off our website.
Old 2/9/11, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
No, we have posted plenty of 93 vs 93 tests since the original 87 vs 93 test, which was also in 4th gear, not 5th.

Here is a recent one, 38 peak hp with points with up to 42hp. Just a couple of hp shy of the 44 we advertise. 93 vs 93, 5th gear.

Old 2/9/11, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

That sounds fairly realistic but it's unfair since the car requires premium in stock form.
Actually no it doesnt. The car is designed to run on 87 octane. Ford's press releases talk about the adaptive knock strategy in this vehicle. Rated horsepower goes down around 10 horsepower or so on 87 octane.

In fact, every car that has come here straight from Ford or a Ford dealer has 87 octane as delivered.
Old 2/9/11, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Actually no it doesnt. The car is designed to run on 87 octane. Ford's press releases talk about the adaptive knock strategy in this vehicle. Rated horsepower goes down around 10 horsepower or so on 87 octane.

In fact, every car that has come here straight from Ford or a Ford dealer has 87 octane as delivered.
OK...you're right on that but my point stands that claiming any increase over the -10hp 87 octane performance numbers would be misleading since most folks assume that this is compared to the as-advertised 412hp.

...but that's apparently NOT what you guys are doing and the dyno is pretty darned impressive!
Old 2/9/11, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

PM me your processor code, tuner serial number, and anything you have done besides the cold air. I'll get you the update myself.
Just did , thx for the great service Gus.
Old 2/10/11, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Just did , thx for the great service Gus.
Got it, I forgot to mention I need your email address too, PM me that and I'll shoot the update out to you.
Old 2/10/11, 01:12 PM
GT Member

Gus is a great guy to work with and their parts, service, and tunes are outstanding.
Old 2/10/11, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Got it, I forgot to mention I need your email address too, PM me that and I'll shoot the update out to you.
Are you guys planning any tunes for the Boss? If so, is the plan to tune the stock (non Trackey) setup or the Trackey setup, or both? Also, any plans for a Boss tri-ax? I have a Boss on order, in case you didn't guess.

Thanks!

Alex
Old 2/11/11, 08:03 AM
Cobra Member

Got it, tune file sent!
Old 2/11/11, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
Are you guys planning any tunes for the Boss? If so, is the plan to tune the stock (non Trackey) setup or the Trackey setup, or both? Also, any plans for a Boss tri-ax? I have a Boss on order, in case you didn't guess.

Thanks!

Alex
Yes, we are looking forward to working with the Boss. Don't have much additional information yet.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 2/11/11 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: New Steeda Tune is just simply AWESOME!