Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New Axleback

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/15, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, first and foremost I must say I've been researching all the exhausts for over 6 months for my 14 Gt. Considering I came from a 10gt it's been tough to find one that sounds as good. I just loved the deep 4.6 sound and it's definitely been lacking in my new 5.0. I wasn't planning on buying a 14 until I saw the new 15s and knowing they probably wouldn't be returning to the retro anytime soon I came into this buy assuming I'd be keeping this car for a long time if not forever. So long story short, money was no object with my exhaust.
There were a couple things that were a must with my axle back. First and foremost I needed zero drone. Second of all, I wanted a deep non tinny sound while still having some volume up top. I looked corsa and borla specifically for these traits mainly the extreme and s type but the corsa was too trebley and the borla sounded more like a trolling motor. GT 500s were considered but were too tinny sounding down low and just didn't sound right up top. Plus they were a little too quiet for my taste. Coming from pype bombs I wanted an old school mustang sound but needed to drop all drone. I thought that maybe Roush would be my answer but the more I heard it the more I was able to pick it apart. Down low it sounded "ok" but up top it was really raspy. I would've probably still considered it if it wasn't for the snap, crackle, and pop. It just sounds so cheap and reminds me of an old Buick beater.
So alas a new axle back stating zero drone, and deep but loud sound. Of course the axle back that answered my prayers only had one video I could find on YouTube whichI was also extremely low quality. But, that video, combined with the zero drone claim, and this very forum post caused me to take the plunge. Needless to say it's absolutely perfect.
I've heard just about every axle back exhaust on the 5.0 (in person) and this is by far the best idle. It has a deep and very loud thump to it, and really reminds me of having cams combined with headers (maybe that's why they're named LTH?). I am shocked how perfect it is. I hate bassani and magnaflow because of how fake it sounded, but this borderline sounds like I have hot rod cams. Cold start is much louder than stock but not **** off your neighbors at 6:00 am loud.
The up top sound reminds me very much of the Bullitt movie. In other words, old school. I think it's much deeper than the Gt500 but with the volume closer to the extremes (but not quite as loud). It's also extremely linear, in that it's not like all of a sudden it's ear bleeding loud but at the same time it's not that tractor loud all the time sound. You can be a sleeper but easily give it a tad more throttle and everyone around you will take notice.
Best of all, this has been 100% certified drone free by yours truly. I have a ear for it too, not even my girlfriend noticed other ones but to me the slightest bit of resonance is like leaning against a bass speaker.
It's much louder than stock, not as loud as Roush, doesn't sound tinny, has no pop/crackle, doesn't sound like a trolling motor under water, has zero drone, and has the ability to grow with you down the line (long tubes, catlless). This being my third mustang, it by far sounds the best. With zero concern with price I'm glad I went this route and if having a second chance, would even pay double to take the same route.
Old 4/24/15, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Aviator--Thanks for the detailed review. Can you post a video/sound clip?

Last edited by smike308; 4/24/15 at 12:19 PM.
Old 4/27/15, 02:15 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Aviator1539
So, first and foremost I must say I've been researching all the exhausts for over 6 months for my 14 Gt. Considering I came from a 10gt it's been tough to find one that sounds as good. I just loved the deep 4.6 sound and it's definitely been lacking in my new 5.0. I wasn't planning on buying a 14 until I saw the new 15s and knowing they probably wouldn't be returning to the retro anytime soon I came into this buy assuming I'd be keeping this car for a long time if not forever. So long story short, money was no object with my exhaust.
There were a couple things that were a must with my axle back. First and foremost I needed zero drone. Second of all, I wanted a deep non tinny sound while still having some volume up top. I looked corsa and borla specifically for these traits mainly the extreme and s type but the corsa was too trebley and the borla sounded more like a trolling motor. GT 500s were considered but were too tinny sounding down low and just didn't sound right up top. Plus they were a little too quiet for my taste. Coming from pype bombs I wanted an old school mustang sound but needed to drop all drone. I thought that maybe Roush would be my answer but the more I heard it the more I was able to pick it apart. Down low it sounded "ok" but up top it was really raspy. I would've probably still considered it if it wasn't for the snap, crackle, and pop. It just sounds so cheap and reminds me of an old Buick beater.
So alas a new axle back stating zero drone, and deep but loud sound. Of course the axle back that answered my prayers only had one video I could find on YouTube whichI was also extremely low quality. But, that video, combined with the zero drone claim, and this very forum post caused me to take the plunge. Needless to say it's absolutely perfect.
I've heard just about every axle back exhaust on the 5.0 (in person) and this is by far the best idle. It has a deep and very loud thump to it, and really reminds me of having cams combined with headers (maybe that's why they're named LTH?). I am shocked how perfect it is. I hate bassani and magnaflow because of how fake it sounded, but this borderline sounds like I have hot rod cams. Cold start is much louder than stock but not **** off your neighbors at 6:00 am loud.
The up top sound reminds me very much of the Bullitt movie. In other words, old school. I think it's much deeper than the Gt500 but with the volume closer to the extremes (but not quite as loud). It's also extremely linear, in that it's not like all of a sudden it's ear bleeding loud but at the same time it's not that tractor loud all the time sound. You can be a sleeper but easily give it a tad more throttle and everyone around you will take notice.
Best of all, this has been 100% certified drone free by yours truly. I have a ear for it too, not even my girlfriend noticed other ones but to me the slightest bit of resonance is like leaning against a bass speaker.
It's much louder than stock, not as loud as Roush, doesn't sound tinny, has no pop/crackle, doesn't sound like a trolling motor under water, has zero drone, and has the ability to grow with you down the line (long tubes, catlless). This being my third mustang, it by far sounds the best. With zero concern with price I'm glad I went this route and if having a second chance, would even pay double to take the same route.
Thanks for the review. All your comments seem spot on, as I've owned or heard in person all the exhausts you mention. I have the Corsa Extremes, and not sure I agree with "Trebley". As you know, likes/dislikes about sound are also very opinionated. I respect yours, and therefore I might have to listen to these LTH's in person. But that being said, and not having heard the LTH's yet, the Corsas are the best sounding exhaust, esp paired with an x pipe, OTA (res-less), intake, and blower.
Old 4/27/15, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
OP,

Just my opinion but if the dudes selling those cans are serious, they should be able to offer you a soundbite of their hardware without you having to shell for the privy of hearing them or your car (and possibly hating it) or wait for somebody else to post a soundclip of them. They wanna sell...they best figure out how to market and sell. AM should insist on sound clips as a part of selling their hardware...but thats just me...

John
Old 4/28/15, 08:30 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Gt500's without resonators still reigns in bang for your buck and sound. Borla S-types is the best out there but you pay for it. The gt500 -resonators is a very close second.
I agree, borla S is the best sound but you gotta pay! I never really heard roush exhaust in person until I got my car. It came with roush exhaust on it and I am more than pleased with the sound!
Old 4/28/15, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Horspla
OP,

Just my opinion but if the dudes selling those cans are serious, they should be able to offer you a soundbite of their hardware without you having to shell for the privy of hearing them or your car (and possibly hating it) or wait for somebody else to post a soundclip of them. They wanna sell...they best figure out how to market and sell. AM should insist on sound clips as a part of selling their hardware...but thats just me...

John
John, I agree with you. It's sad that AM let everyone down. The guy from AM even said, "Keep your eyes peeled on the site, I can almost guarantee that some videos will be uploaded soon" Ha, they're too busy making videos for the 2015 owners and they can't even make a video for us to hear the LTH exhaust... and that was 2 months ago
Old 4/28/15, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I agree, borla S is the best sound but you gotta pay! I never really heard roush exhaust in person until I got my car. It came with roush exhaust on it and I am more than pleased with the sound!
So many choices... I have to say the Borla "S" axlebacks alone, are my favorite mod so far. Worth every penny to me. Now if I can just figure out what to do about those elusive side exhaust.
Old 4/30/15, 02:07 PM

can gt500 axlebacks be made to fit a 2015 gt