2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My turn on the Redline MTL review.

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/11, 04:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was considering the change... but I think I'll wait a bit.
Old 8/15/11, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
For those who are wondering what is in the oil. Here is the MSDS sheet for Motorcraft Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid, which is what is spec'd for our cars.
Thx Chris.....scary stuff in there.
Old 8/17/11, 05:20 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey guys, I received an email from Cory at Red Line Oil's Marketing. He asked me to post this statement in this thread regarding the MT-82 oil recommendations.

Originally Posted by Red Line Oil marketing
Issues with the 2011-2012 Ford Mustang and its MT-82 6-speed manual transmission have been well documented in the enthusiast forums and in the national media. Ford Motor Company has made responses through official Technical Service Bulletins and now recommends a different fluid for this transmission from what was originally specified when the vehicles were released.

Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation specializes in having the widest variety of high-quality, fully-synthetic lubricants available and has a particular reputation for resolving shifting issues and wear problems in both automatic and manual transmissions. We have found that many Mustang enthusiasts look to our gear oil and ATF products to solve problems with these MT-82 transmissions--many customers report great success with our MTL and D4 ATF products in these gearboxes. Our MT-90 is in the range of the spec that Ford replaced and some have used that with success, too.

However, we have learned that Ford Motor Company has changed its lubricant recommendation for these vehicles from Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid to Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. At this time, Red Line does not offer any Dual Clutch-type fluids, therefore we can no longer make an official product recommendation for these vehicles. Red Line bases its product recommendations on the fluids specified by the Original Equipment Manufacturer for any given vehicle.

Red Line wants to make sure that enthusiasts and consumers have full confidence in our products and that our change in recommendations in no way reflects on our products performance. We will continue testing products for this application and will follow any further developments regarding Fords official product recommendations.Thanks for the support and we hope that you continue to have a great time with these vehicles.
Old 8/17/11, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
Hey guys, I received an email from Cory at Red Line Oil's Marketing. He asked me to post this statement in this thread regarding the MT-82 oil recommendations.
Thank you for that email. Once again it proves ford doesn't know its head from its ***. They don't even know how to fix the MT82 and are now recommending a dual clutch fluid that is lighter and has less protection than the MTL. I know they were swapping this dual clutch junk with the TSB. MTL is only slightly thinner than the original QS fluid and is thicker than the QDC with is the dual clutch junk.

I'm sticking with the MTL as it was the original recommendation based on the original fluid ford filled these transmissions with.

I know my MT82 is soooo smooth now since I swapped to MTL last week.
Old 8/17/11, 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

So basically what Redline is doing is backing themselves up . I'm sticking with my MTL fluid which has been really great so far.
Old 8/18/11, 04:13 AM

Fluid

We are down to splitting hairs now. Atf is basically a 20wt oil, in SAE standards. Amsoil MTF, and Redline MTL are about a 5W30 oil, and MTG and MT-90 are about a 5W40. They don't rate gear oils the same as motor oils.

I think Fake has it right, The MTL is in between the 2 Ford fluids, but even if you go with the MT-90, it is not that much different. If you live in cold climate area, use the MTL, it might help a bit with cold start shifting. If you are in south Florida, or the Gulf coast and race a lot, try the MT-90. Either will do fine.

Mine shifts fine, but I like to change out the FF early(lots of wear in material). Will be changing it out for MTL in the next week or two.
Old 8/18/11, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Redline
However, we have learned that Ford Motor Company has changed its lubricant recommendation for these vehicles from Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid to Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. At this time, Red Line does not offer any Dual Clutch-type fluids, therefore we can no longer make an official product recommendation for these vehicles.
Since Ford did NOT change their recommendation for fluid or put dual clutch fluid in even one car from the factory, I'm sure Redline will catch their mistake and quickly reinstate their previous recommendations. Yeah, right.

Its pretty funny how this release says they do recommend fluids but can't for the new Mustangs because they don't make a dual-clutch fluid. At the same time, they are being quoted on other forums that they NEVER recommend any of their products, just "mention" what is popular with their customers.

Come on now. Hire someone who can keep the BS straight. LoL
Old 8/23/11, 11:48 AM

MTL

I swapped out the FF in my tranny for the Redline MTL. Took almost all of the 3 qts. I used a 4 ft length of 3/8 fuel hose, but it would not fit in the fill hole. Added a short length of a clear plastic tube, had lying around, fit the hose and fill hole. I dumped the MTL into an empty gear lube bottle with the conical spout and added fluid. Let it drip out till it quits.

Took it out for a few miles, can tell a slight difference in gear engagement, but will report after more driving. Mine was shifting fine, just like to change out the FF fairly early. Very easy service.

Last edited by Swamp Dweller; 8/23/11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 8/23/11, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is another for Redline MTL.

Drained the QS into a clean washer fluid jug to keep, maybe it will be put back in at a later date, who knows.

2 quarts in with a penzoil hand pump ($7.99), poured what was left in the bottles into a large measuring pyrex and added more until there was .75 quarts (to account for anything in the tubing), and pumped that in.

Car never had "grinding" while shifting to any gear just some resistance or bumps to push past engaging 2nd. Reverse had times where the gearshift needed to be put in other gears first before going in easy. Coming to a crawl at a stop sign or stoplight, 1st would not be easy to get into (sometimes even when stopped), unless the shifter was toyed with.

This is what the trans would do, mostly it worked as it should.
But, the MTL improved getting into reverse, 1st and the bumps going into 2nd immediately.
The trans just plain shifts easier, goes into each gear as it should. Still have some bumps occasionally going to 2nd but the MTs in my 87 Fox, 03 GT and 09 Jetta also do this.

Surely a different bracket and bushing or even another shifter will make this trans even better, which will probably be done, but for just a fluid swap the MTL made a significant difference.
Old 9/26/12, 12:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been awhile since you guys switched to RedLine. Do you still feel it made a difference ? I wanted to wait awhile to see if anyone updated the opinions,like it felt better but overall tranny is still the same etc etc.

The only issue I've ever had with mine is the whine. Does the fluid swap help with the noise?
Old 9/26/12, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been running MTL for over 9k miles. It made a big improvement in shift smoothness in the stock shifter that was really felt going from 1-2. I haven't noticed any gear whine or noise from my tranny, but I switched out to MTL at 500 miles.
Old 9/29/12, 10:04 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm gonna be going to the store to pick up 3qts today. Who knows when I'll get around to it.

So what's easier? The pump method or the rubber hose trick? Don't you have to fill from inside using that method?

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 9/29/12 at 10:05 AM.
Old 9/29/12, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

The pump is cheap and easy....