My "test drive"

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/10, 05:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must be really young looking?

IDK-----

That BS if you ask me----

I have test driven a VIPER/Z06/LS3 Vert/CAMARO 2SS/2011 GT500/2011 5.0 all in the past 2 weeks----

Then after test drive ill tell them my score and work numbers off that (even if i dontlike the car i have them run numbers out of curtoursey for them letting me beat on their car)

NEVER GIVE YOUR SS # !

ITS SALES----ITS ALL A GAME! YOU GOTTA WALK IN THAT DEALERSHIP LIKE YOU OWN IT, AND ALWAYS BE IN CONTROL ( But In a nice way)

Last edited by silverbull271; 5/29/10 at 05:59 AM.
Old 5/29/10, 06:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Unfortunately, this is probably what caused the credit check question to be asked of you. As mentioned by another poster, you might have been "profiled" as too young, and with these cars being desirable, I presume they would keep the miles lower.

Good luck, and hopefully you will find a more willing dealership.

This reminds me of when I bought my first car right out of college. One of the sales guys was laughing at me saying "boy, you don't know what you are getting into with that thing." Classy, eh?

You know Tony-----

I had the same**** happened to me when i was 19YO and i was test driving a yellow C5 Vert-----

The salesman didnt say that,but it was on his face the wholetime and i wanted to give him a good smack----

kicker was when we got back i said "im gonna buy the car but guess what?-----NOT FROM YOU!

Had the sales manager get me another salemsan and wrote up the deal---paid cash for the car

2000 Milennium Yellow C5 Vette loaded with Black Top------had 5.7 liter 345 HP/345lb-ft at the time

Back then FULLY loaded Vert sticker was 52K----now they are in the 70"s

BEAUTIFUL CAR----TERRIBLE SLEEZY SALESMAN
Old 5/29/10, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ireallycare
Regardless, you should have said something like, "This is unacceptable. I will take my business elsewhere." If you really wanted to spite the salesperson, get his/her name and communicate your displeasure with a manager.
You might also wanna mention that they're not supposed to access your credit report without written permission... and although I'm not altogether sure how it works, I know I can't even look at my own without a Social Security number... so not sure how they would've gotten that on the sneak.

That said, I did have a dealer do it over the phone because they knew we were buying, but they made **** sure we signed the 'auhtorization' form when we picked up the car. And again... they needed a SSN to do the check. Maybe it's different state-to-state?
Old 5/29/10, 09:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you are 16 and peddle up to the dealership on your huffy bicycle, don't expect them to let you test drive any cars.
Old 5/29/10, 01:21 PM
GT Member

back when i was 18 searching for my 2005, i'd walk around a dealer lot and they wouldn't even notice me while i was looking at the new s197s. i had to go to the GM to get someone, and even he would be a total jerk. i visited the same dealership with my dad and they were vultures.

the credit check is a way for them to easily talk about numbers. i pay for a monthly credit report, so i walk in and tell them my score if i want to hear numbers.
Old 5/29/10, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Some dealers out there need to drop the attitude. They're selling Fords not Ferrari's.
My dealer was awesome. I get stereotyped often because I have long hair. I walked on to the lot just to get an estimate on lowering our GT and I spotted a new 5.0 GT. The sales guy literally opened the car door for me to sit in it and tossed me the keys and said "lets take it out for a spin". Then did the same thing when I commented how nice the row of 2010 GT500's looked. I told him I was going to grab lunch and think about it and he took me out and bought lunch. Really nice guy and a car nut to. Later that night I drove home my new 2010 GT500. The right guy at the right dealership can actually make buying a car very enjoyable. So if you're in Vancouver BC and looking for a Mustang or GT500 go see Thahn (pronounced Tan) at Brown Bros. Ford.
Old 5/29/10, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silverbull271
You must be really young looking?

IDK-----

That BS if you ask me----

I have test driven a VIPER/Z06/LS3 Vert/CAMARO 2SS/2011 GT500/2011 5.0 all in the past 2 weeks----

Then after test drive ill tell them my score and work numbers off that (even if i dontlike the car i have them run numbers out of curtoursey for them letting me beat on their car)

NEVER GIVE YOUR SS # !

ITS SALES----ITS ALL A GAME! YOU GOTTA WALK IN THAT DEALERSHIP LIKE YOU OWN IT, AND ALWAYS BE IN CONTROL ( But In a nice way)
Back when I was looking for a Mustang in early 08 every dealership I went to had someone walk out and greet me. When the '10s came out I just wanted to go look at the outside and the salesguy sees I drive an 07 and tosses me the keys. Says I can handle the power but they are not suppossed to let any1 under 21 test drive a car.

I understand the under 21 thing because most people don't know how to handle a car with that much power.

Originally Posted by silverbull271
You know Tony-----

I had the same**** happened to me when i was 19YO and i was test driving a yellow C5 Vert-----

The salesman didnt say that,but it was on his face the wholetime and i wanted to give him a good smack----

kicker was when we got back i said "im gonna buy the car but guess what?-----NOT FROM YOU!

Had the sales manager get me another salemsan and wrote up the deal---paid cash for the car

2000 Milennium Yellow C5 Vette loaded with Black Top------had 5.7 liter 345 HP/345lb-ft at the time

Back then FULLY loaded Vert sticker was 52K----now they are in the 70"s

BEAUTIFUL CAR----TERRIBLE SLEEZY SALESMAN
If you don't mind me asking how did you afford this car? 52k is alot of cash for a 19YO.

Originally Posted by Adam2004
When you are 16 and peddle up to the dealership on your huffy bicycle, don't expect them to let you test drive any cars.
Lucky me, I don't own one any more

Originally Posted by sdsguy
back when i was 18 searching for my 2005, i'd walk around a dealer lot and they wouldn't even notice me while i was looking at the new s197s. i had to go to the GM to get someone, and even he would be a total jerk. i visited the same dealership with my dad and they were vultures.

the credit check is a way for them to easily talk about numbers. i pay for a monthly credit report, so i walk in and tell them my score if i want to hear numbers.
I hear ya, it all depends on the dealer, I know about 5 salespeople that think I'm buying a car from them in the summer. Havn't made up my mind yet but alot of salespeople are going to be dissappointed. I'm only one man looking for one car.

Originally Posted by Cdvision
Some dealers out there need to drop the attitude. They're selling Fords not Ferrari's.
My dealer was awesome. I get stereotyped often because I have long hair. I walked on to the lot just to get an estimate on lowering our GT and I spotted a new 5.0 GT. The sales guy literally opened the car door for me to sit in it and tossed me the keys and said "lets take it out for a spin". Then did the same thing when I commented how nice the row of 2010 GT500's looked. I told him I was going to grab lunch and think about it and he took me out and bought lunch. Really nice guy and a car nut to. Later that night I drove home my new 2010 GT500. The right guy at the right dealership can actually make buying a car very enjoyable. So if you're in Vancouver BC and looking for a Mustang or GT500 go see Thahn (pronounced Tan) at Brown Bros. Ford.
There are very few good salespeople but the ones out there are well worth it. I went and test drove a Hyundai Gen. coupe and the sales guy says it cool just because I'm interested. I had not interest in buying one but I just wanted to test drive it. He was all cool and started asking me about my 07. Some people out really care about the customer but in the end most do not.
Old 5/30/10, 06:25 AM
Banned

I had a penny stock soar on me!!!!

Within 45 days it went from 11 cents to $3.85!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I HAD A WHOLE ****LOAD OF SHARES!
Old 5/30/10, 06:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Never ask to test drive a car straight off the bat. That throws up a red flag that you are just there for a joy ride. Just show interest and they will usually suggest it.
Old 5/30/10, 06:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cdvision
Ugh, try looking for a GT500 here in NY (Long Island, specifically). The overwhelming majority of salesmen I have dealt with treat it as if its the last car that is ever going to me made.

Syossett Ford still marking their white coupe up by $7500, last I looked.

It really is a shame you can't just order them (any car) on-line and either have them drop shipped or simply pick them up from a central location. Yes, I know that the vastly majority of people need to see the car "in person" but some of us don't. And this way we don't have to dealer with the vast majority of salespeople who are clueless as th a) the product they are selling; and b) basic human relations.
Old 5/30/10, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

keeping the miles low is understandable. if mine had 60 miles on it id be pissed. it had 8. also this car is easy to wreck. even on a shift-lift it shoots forward hard. really hard.
Old 5/30/10, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I am not going NEAR a ford dealer until the "new car to sell" bs dies down. I would love a spin in a 2011, but I don't want to deal with the BS. I have bought cars from various brands of dealers, and Ford is def one step above the worst (dodge/jeep) but not by much.

When the 2005 came out you had to be blessed by the pope to drive one and the dealers wanted 7K above MSRP at a minimum for a car. In the spring of 2006 when I got mine, they wanted 3K above sticker (which they quickly dropped once they knew you were serious) and only 2 out of 5 dealers would offer a test drive on a GT here in NJ to a 24 year old guy.

The month I had bought my car I drove the M3, Cayman, and Boxster with not even a word of hostility from the other dealers. Yet getting a test drive in a 27K mustang required a leap of faith.
Old 5/30/10, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Sounds like things haven't changed much over the years.
When I came back from overseas in '71 I had ordered a new '71 Ranchero GT. About a year later I decided to go look at '72 Mustangs. I walk into the dealership and the none of the salesmen hardly glanced at me. After about 15 minutes of looking around the showroom and still no salesman contact, I walked up to one and asked him how long it would take to get one in if I ordered it, or what Mustangs they were expecting to get in. He looked at me like 'Sure kid'. He asked me how much I could put down or if I had a trade (guess he was trying to get rid of this kid and get back to his coffee), anyway, when I told him I had a '71 Ranchero GT I was gonna trade, his attitude went 180.