Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My "test drive"

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/10, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My "test drive"

So I went by my local Ford dealer because I saw they had a Black 5.0 last night when driving home. I went by today and wanted to test drive it and they said no because of my credit score.

What the hell does my credit score have to do with my driving ability.

Don't most car dealerships have insurance on the inventory on there lots?

I understand about being a certian age because of the horsepower level of this car. I was completely blown off by this dealership. Many dealerships I have visited seem interested in selling cars this dealer did not. Needless to say I will not even bother with this dealer when I start looking to buy a new car.

I was really disappointed about not being taken seriously as a valued customer. This was the worst experience ever.

I'm waiting for the dealership that I get my car serviced at to get a 5.0 in so maybe I can finally get a good test drive.

Thanks
Old 5/28/10, 05:58 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did they get a credit score before you had a chance to do the test drive?

I go into a dealer to look and just tell them I am a cash buyer, no need to check anything about credit.
Old 5/28/10, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I really don't have a credit score but what does that have to do with me being able to test drive a car. I have test driven several cars and not once did they ask me about a credit score.
Old 5/28/10, 06:17 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I really don't have a credit score but what does that have to do with me being able to test drive a car. I have test driven several cars and not once did they ask me about a credit score.
The difference is that if they checked your credit beforehand and found it lacking then they figured you couldn't buy the car and they had no incentive to let you drive it.

That is one reason you don't talk finance beforehand, don't even go inside the dealer until after the drive.
Old 5/28/10, 06:18 PM
GTR Member

So, how did the credit thing come up???
Old 5/28/10, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

All I did was walk in and say I wanted to test drive the new 5.0 and the saleman I was talking to said we can't let you test drive it without a credit check.

I then asked if I could just start it up and here the engine. He asked some other guy and he said sure. I walked out to where the car was parked and waited.

Oh one other thing, just as I pulled in the dealership some guy and his kid pulled in right behind me and started looking at the new 5.0 to.

So anyway the salesman brings the keys out and starts talking to the older gentlemen and Offers him to test drive. All 3 of them drove of.

Needless to say I was really pissed of. Got in my car and left.

There is a dealership 30 miles away that I will go see. Hopefully they will let me test drive one.

Heres hoping.
Old 5/28/10, 06:35 PM
lou
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you have them check your credit before the test drive? I've never heard of that...You shouldn't let them check your score until you are 100 pecent ready to buy either.
Old 5/28/10, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't let them check, because Im not ready to buy. Oh well, I just felt the need to vent. Thanks everyone.

I'm waiting for the dealership that I get the 07 serviced at to get one in. I feel real at home with them because most of the staff knows my name. This is how most dealerships should be. These guys really care about their customers. Veterans Ford in New Orleans if any body is interested.
Old 5/28/10, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't let them check, because Im not ready to buy. Oh well, I just felt the need to vent. Thanks everyone.

I'm waiting for the dealership that I get the 07 serviced at to get one in. I feel real at home with them because most of the staff knows my name. This is how most dealerships should be. These guys really care about their customers. Veterans Ford in New Orleans if any body is interested.
Make sure when you get your new 5.0 that you go back to that dealer and show them the car they wouldn't let you test drive.
Old 5/28/10, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
when you get ready to test drive , make a copy of your dl and your insurance card. Give that to them when you want to test drive, tell them not to run a credit score, you need to go test drive a camaro before you decide which car you want to buy. Tell them you have 10 to 15k to put down and you have your own financing. Ask for the copy of your dl and ins card back after your test drive.
Old 5/28/10, 07:45 PM
GT Member

I think that is a tactic some dealers use to weed out people who are not serious about buying a car.

Was that Lamarque Ford or one of the dealers in N.O East or the Westbank?

Last edited by ScottH; 5/28/10 at 08:04 PM.
Old 5/28/10, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Make sure when you get your new 5.0 that you go back to that dealer and show them the car they wouldn't let you test drive.
I will do that just to see the look on there faces.

Originally Posted by Glenn
when you get ready to test drive , make a copy of your dl and your insurance card. Give that to them when you want to test drive, tell them not to run a credit score, you need to go test drive a camaro before you decide which car you want to buy. Tell them you have 10 to 15k to put down and you have your own financing. Ask for the copy of your dl and ins card back after your test drive.
That sounds like a good idea.

Originally Posted by ScottH
Lamarque Ford?
Yes it was Lamarque Ford. The same thing pretty much happened when I was searching for a Mustang back in 2008. Ended up getting one from Ford,Lincoln,Mercury of Slidell.
Old 5/28/10, 08:35 PM
GTR Member

I still say that when you want to test drive one, tell them that you have cash and aren't going to finance.

I'm guessing you are pretty young?
Old 5/28/10, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I'm 21. I don't look it though. I look much younger. Oh well.
Old 5/28/10, 09:09 PM
GT Member

Yes it was Lamarque Ford. The same thing pretty much happened when I was searching for a Mustang back in 2008. Ended up getting one from Ford,Lincoln,Mercury of Slidell.
Most of the sales staff there leave a lot to be desired. Lamarque is where I ordered my 5.0 from, but most of my in-laws have bought cars with the Fleet Manager over there for almost 30 years, so when I went to order mine, I did everything with him instead of dealing with the floor staff. If he wasn't there, I don't think I would deal with them.

If you decide to buy in the future, shoot me a pm and I will give you his name and number.
Old 5/28/10, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ScottH
Most of the sales staff there leave a lot to be desired. Lamarque is where I ordered my 5.0 from, but most of my in-laws have bought cars with the Fleet Manager over there for almost 30 years, so when I went to order mine, I did everything with him instead of dealing with the floor staff. If he wasn't there, I don't think I would deal with them.

If you decide to buy in the future, shoot me a pm and I will give you his name and number.
Sounds good. I'm currently just looking. Don't know what I want yet. I will test drive a 5.0 when Veterans Ford gets one in.

What do you drive right now? I take it you like out in Kenner.
Old 5/28/10, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I'm 21. I don't look it though. I look much younger. Oh well.
Unfortunately, this is probably what caused the credit check question to be asked of you. As mentioned by another poster, you might have been "profiled" as too young, and with these cars being desirable, I presume they would keep the miles lower.

Good luck, and hopefully you will find a more willing dealership.

This reminds me of when I bought my first car right out of college. One of the sales guys was laughing at me saying "boy, you don't know what you are getting into with that thing." Classy, eh?
Old 5/28/10, 10:26 PM
V6 Member

You should have told them" my credit doesn't matter as my dad says find a car and he'll take care of it for me"! That might have worked!

Other than that, they sound like a POS dealer!

It reminds me of the story where and old farmer walks into a caddy dealer a few years ago to drive a new car. The saleperson ignored him so he found someone else to help him. He purchased THREE new caddy's. IN CASH! Salepeople can be idiots!
Old 5/28/10, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

To be fair, I'm sure a lot of people who don't plan on buying the 5.0 will want to test drive it, whether it be a fan of Mustangs or a competitor (Camaro?).

Regardless, you should have said something like, "This is unacceptable. I will take my business elsewhere." If you really wanted to spite the salesperson, get his/her name and communicate your displeasure with a manager.
Old 5/29/10, 03:21 AM
GT Member

Sounds good. I'm currently just looking. Don't know what I want yet. I will test drive a 5.0 when Veterans Ford gets one in.

What do you drive right now? I take it you like out in Kenner.

2007 Honda Accord :gay:

I live in LaPlace

Quick Reply: My "test drive"