2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My steeda (and koni) goodies arrived!!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/14, 03:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats Burton! Looking forward to the install thread. Once again I am living vicariously through you.
Old 4/30/14, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner
YES!!!! I didnt want to say anything cause to each his own, but when i saw you post earlier about paying for the install, i said to myself "****, imagine what other parts he could have bought with the money spent on the install.. Oh well too bad."
This, well sort of. I was thinking more along the lines of how much beer $500 would buy! Seriously, I was hoping you'd change your mind and you did. Good for you, you're a better man for tackling the job yourself. It took me more than 3.5 hours but I was working by myself.

John
Old 4/30/14, 05:14 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ for a spring install and shock/strut install, you're looking at 400 - 500 bucks, then add alignment. So as you can see, doing it yourself will save you 400-500 bucks. Hence what I'm doing on Friday. Besides, I want to LEARN. So I will attempt this with a couple of knowledgeable buddies with tools. Wish me luck.
I watched the CJ and LMR YouTube videos before I started......definitely helped move things along. Air tools and an electric impact were key.
Old 4/30/14, 05:51 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner
YES!!!! I didnt want to say anything cause to each his own, but when i saw you post earlier about paying for the install, i said to myself "****, imagine what other parts he could have bought with the money spent on the install.. Oh well too bad." Then i read your update, and again, HELL YEAHHH!!!! dude its so much fun doing this stuff. It is not as hard as it seems, and feels great to not only have the cool parts on the car but know more clearly how they're all connected + satisfaction of doing it yourself. When i get parts, i do it partially cause i want to improve performance but also for the fun of installing it. Im sure you'll be successful with the installation, if even a noob like me could do it almost entirely on my own, you can definitely do it with a bunch of knowledgeable buddies.
Originally Posted by Thomas S
Congrats Burton! Looking forward to the install thread. Once again I am living vicariously through you.
Originally Posted by Horspla
This, well sort of. I was thinking more along the lines of how much beer $500 would buy! Seriously, I was hoping you'd change your mind and you did. Good for you, you're a better man for tackling the job yourself. It took me more than 3.5 hours but I was working by myself. John
Originally Posted by jp1seattle
I watched the CJ and LMR YouTube videos before I started......definitely helped move things along. Air tools and an electric impact were key.
Wow... Thanks so much for the words guys. I just literally watched that install video on cj pony, and what the heck, that was easy. I was worried about THAT? Wtf... I installed a supercharger on my own and I'm worried about that??????? Jesus... Silly me.
Old 4/30/14, 06:00 PM
I Have No Life

Lol I'm so motivated in doing the rears right now
Old 4/30/14, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lol I'm so motivated in doing the rears right now
Yes, you can do it!
Old 4/30/14, 09:37 PM
I Have No Life

Rears are done!!! I can't believe I was going to pay someone to do that rear spring install . That was so easy. Geesh. I was done in about 1-1/2 hours. The other 1/2 hour was spent adjusting the perches to get the height equal on both sides. I dropped it about 1.25" in the rear. The install itself was not that bad at all. I lifted the car on 2 jack stands in the rear, then supported the axle via my jack. Then removed the sway bar then shock bolts, then slowly lowered the axle, then supported it with another jack stand. Removed old spring, then installed new perches, greased everything, then placed coilover spring. Voila, done. Tomorrow night, I'll start on the fronts. I don't think it'll be that bad either. At least I'll prep it before my buddies come Friday pm. Here's some pics of the install process tonight
Attached Thumbnails My steeda (and koni) goodies arrived!!!-image-2952407806.jpg   My steeda (and koni) goodies arrived!!!-image-3377963001.jpg   My steeda (and koni) goodies arrived!!!-image-1360897849.jpg   My steeda (and koni) goodies arrived!!!-image-3501487639.jpg  

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/30/14 at 09:42 PM.
Old 4/30/14, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
So the spring perches make the ride height adjustable?? Hmmmmmmmm
Old 4/30/14, 11:02 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by laserred38
So the spring perches make the ride height adjustable?? Hmmmmmmmm
Oh yes
Old 4/30/14, 11:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh yes
But they're technically not a full coil over? Send me a link lol
Old 4/30/14, 11:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Rears are done!!! I can't believe I was going to pay someone to do that rear spring install . That was so easy. Geesh. I was done in about 1-1/2 hours. The other 1/2 hour was spent adjusting the perches to get the height equal on both sides. I dropped it about 1.25" in the rear. The install itself was not that bad at all. I lifted the car on 2 jack stands in the rear, then supported the axle via my jack. Then removed the sway bar then shock bolts, then slowly lowered the axle, then supported it with another jack stand. Removed old spring, then installed new perches, greased everything, then placed coilover spring. Voila, done. Tomorrow night, I'll start on the fronts. I don't think it'll be that bad either. At least I'll prep it before my buddies come Friday pm. Here's some pics of the install process tonight
Those rear springs look so nice Burton

Last edited by GrnT; 4/30/14 at 11:29 PM.
Old 5/1/14, 04:35 AM
I Have No Life

But they're technically not a full coil over? Send me a link lol
Yeah... I had the links in my prior thread where I was debating between these or the ground control units, remember?

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...stem-555-8126/

But from what I understand, there are few "real" rear coilovers because the shocks and springs are separate on our SRA mustang setups. I think the full rear coilovers are for race applications only.

Originally Posted by GrnT
Those rear springs look so nice Burton
Thanks mark. I'm looking forward to taking these puppies at the track. But yes, now I can adjust to match the front or when I have heavy passenger or cargo load or when I track her. I researched extensively before going with steeda. I can't wait to try them out.

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/1/14 at 04:39 AM.
Old 5/1/14, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Keep us updated ... glad to see you are enjoying your good thus far!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 5/1/14, 07:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah... I had the links in my prior thread where I was debating between these or the ground control units, remember? http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...stem-555-8126/ But from what I understand, there are few "real" rear coilovers because the shocks and springs are separate on our SRA mustang setups. I think the full rear coilovers are for race applications only. Thanks mark. I'm looking forward to taking these puppies at the track. But yes, now I can adjust to match the front or when I have heavy passenger or cargo load or when I track her. I researched extensively before going with steeda. I can't wait to try them out.
Ahh I see. So you only got the perches and springs then, minus the shocks? That save you like $150? I was all excited with that big $60 sign lol
Old 5/1/14, 09:15 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Keep us updated ... glad to see you are enjoying your good thus far!

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ. Yes, your rear spring perches were awfully easy to install. I got a little confused on the perch/stud portion of the install. I understood the "remove OEM rubber lower spring seat" but didn't realize I had to remove that "cap" too. I like your design, in that you utilized that opening in the axle to use that stud/washer combo to secure the perch. Then the screwdriver to prevent spinning, then voila.

I did have a question for you guys tho.. 3 actually.

1) You didn't include torque specs for the perch nut. I couldn't get my torque wrench up there anyways, due to space, etc. So I just torqued it "snug". I would venture to guess, maybe 85 ft lbs?. Is that acceptable?

2) The set screw (allen) to secure the perch ring and not have it "walk" after you set the height... does that clamp on to the threads? If so, I assume we're not supposed to tighten that set screw TOO much? Can I damage anything if over tightened? I was thinking about it a lot last night while I was installing it, getting all worried. Just let me know if I'm supposed to take it "easy" on that set screw.

3) Your instructions say "clockwise to raise the vehicle" and "counter clockwise to lower the vehicle". I'm sure this is relative to the vantage point lol... but, I was going clockwise, and it was actually lowering the vehicle. Perhaps you could avoid confusion by stating something like "raise the perch to raise the vehicle" and "lower the perch to lower the vehicle." Simpler, and avoids confusion for inept people like me HAHAHA.

I haven't driven it yet, but will provide feedback once I do, after I install the front Konis and springs. Stay tuned.

Ahh I see. So you only got the perches and springs then, minus the shocks? That save you like $150? I was all excited with that big $60 sign lol
No shocks because I just DID the shocks, remember? Koni Yellows 3 weeks ago. So, I just got the perches and springs. I didn't want the Tokico shocks Steeda had.

What do you mean by 150 and 60????
Old 5/1/14, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Lol duhh that's why I said springs and perches *minus* shocks :P

So how much were just the springs and perches?

And when I clicked the link, the "you save $60" sign is huge, but the price is super small.

Last edited by laserred38; 5/1/14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 5/1/14, 09:37 AM
I Have No Life

Lol duhh that's why I said springs and perches *minus* shocks :P

So how much were just the springs and perches?

And when I clicked the link, the "you save $60" sign is huge, but the price is super small.
I worked with Matt for the price... I can pm ya. Steeda's great to work with. The save 60 bucks thing is always there I think. LOL... marketing ploy? must have worked because it suckered me in, right TJ? haha...
Old 5/1/14, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I worked with Matt for the price... I can pm ya. Steeda's great to work with. The save 60 bucks thing is always there I think. LOL... marketing ploy? must have worked because it suckered me in, right TJ? haha...
That was exactly my thinking lol...awaiting your PM
Old 5/1/14, 10:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Beast 2014
What would a shop normally charge to install a kit like this including a panhard bar in the bank and aligning the rear end? I have about 500 miles on my 2014 GT and don't have access to a lift or many tools. I have debated lowering the car but from a handling standpoint it sounds like it might be worth it.
I had shocks, struts, springs, strut mounts & an alignment done for $325.90 out the door.
Old 5/1/14, 10:13 AM
I Have No Life

^ that didn't include rear tho eh? the 400-450 cost they quoted me was rear too. But still, it was wayyyyy overpriced.

Quick Reply: My steeda (and koni) goodies arrived!!!