2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

MT82 Problems - Fixed by Ford

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/11 | 08:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Jott
Dan is your car out already? I'm still waiting a few weeks yet. I had very mild 1-2 difficulty but am now nervous about increased difficulty as time and miles pass.

Is this the case for most of you?
No it in't yet, still some melting snow in my part of the hood which makes the city streets disguisting.
Will probably wait a couple more weeks till they start cleaning up all that mess left from winter.

Here is some good reading to keep up to date with the grinding-hard shifting on our 2011 6 speed manual cars. Ford has got to come up with a fix ASAP, or this other thread on AFM is about to make the newspaper headlines .
JMatero has gotten more than 100000 + views and 146 replies ( and counting) on that one thread alone. I think Deisha from CS is overwhelmed by all of this.

Check this out:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-144.html

Last edited by montreal ponies; 3/24/11 at 08:22 PM.
Old 3/24/11 | 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
There is gear whine - but nothing too loud. Car is running better than new so far.
Sounds like a weak supercharger and is louder on down rev's.
Old 3/25/11 | 06:32 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
No it in't yet, still some melting snow in my part of the hood which makes the city streets disguisting.
Will probably wait a couple more weeks till they start cleaning up all that mess left from winter.

Here is some good reading to keep up to date with the grinding-hard shifting on our 2011 6 speed manual cars. Ford has got to come up with a fix ASAP, or this other thread on AFM is about to make the newspaper headlines .
JMatero has gotten more than 100000 + views and 146 replies ( and counting) on that one thread alone. I think Deisha from CS is overwhelmed by all of this.

Check this out:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-144.html
I truely think "mob mentality" has taken over in that thread. Don't get me wrong, I hope anyone with any issues with any new car they own gets said issues 100% taken care of by the vehicle's maker, but that thread has become a place where anyone with any kind of notchiness comes to complain. There are a few people on it with serious issues, JMatero included, but a vast majority of people there have some initial start-up cold notchiness (which I and I assume anyone with a manny trans capable of handling 400+ HP and TQ will have some of before the car is warm) or what they describe as "slight grinding" (I could be wrong here but I have never had "slight" grinding on any manny car, it either shifts or I release the clutch too soon and i get a cringe-worthy grinding noise that cannot be mistaken as anything other than a grind) which is probably the multiple synchros lining up. Also, if I had half the problems the select few in that thread had, JMatero included, I would have lawyered up and Lemon Lawed a long time ago. I love my Mustang, but I also undertand when manufacturing a large # of anything some will not come out right. Lemon Laws exist for a reason... With all that being said I truely hope everyone with a problem gets taken care of to their satisfaction and I am glad the OP's car seems to be working as new again.
Old 3/26/11 | 11:31 AM
GT Member

This may be a dumb question, but is there anything the driver can do to "make" a pressure plate problem manifest itself? In other words, is it the kind of problem that is more likely to occur under specific driving conditions of speed, rpm, shift speed/force, etc.? Or is it the kind of problem that is completely isolated from driver inputs?

Thanks folks
Old 3/27/11 | 09:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
I truely think "mob mentality" has taken over in that thread. Don't get me wrong, I hope anyone with any issues with any new car they own gets said issues 100% taken care of by the vehicle's maker, but that thread has become a place where anyone with any kind of notchiness comes to complain. There are a few people on it with serious issues, JMatero included, but a vast majority of people there have some initial start-up cold notchiness (which I and I assume anyone with a manny trans capable of handling 400+ HP and TQ will have some of before the car is warm) or what they describe as "slight grinding" (I could be wrong here but I have never had "slight" grinding on any manny car, it either shifts or I release the clutch too soon and i get a cringe-worthy grinding noise that cannot be mistaken as anything other than a grind) which is probably the multiple synchros lining up. Also, if I had half the problems the select few in that thread had, JMatero included, I would have lawyered up and Lemon Lawed a long time ago. I love my Mustang, but I also undertand when manufacturing a large # of anything some will not come out right. Lemon Laws exist for a reason... With all that being said I truely hope everyone with a problem gets taken care of to their satisfaction and I am glad the OP's car seems to be working as new again.
Come for a ride with me, I'll show you a "slight grind". It sounds, and a feels, like the synchros let the shift through before they are fully spun up. Imagine shifting your car just past the first gate, but before the dogs are engaged, let the synchro speeds change, then put it into gear. That's what is happening.

Last edited by Ducky; 3/27/11 at 10:04 PM.
Old 3/28/11 | 06:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Come for a ride with me, I'll show you a "slight grind". It sounds, and a feels, like the synchros let the shift through before they are fully spun up. Imagine shifting your car just past the first gate, but before the dogs are engaged, let the synchro speeds change, then put it into gear. That's what is happening.
Then you may have a real problem. Contact that Ford customer service rep or your dealer... My point was that that thread has become a few people with really serious problems, most with some notchiness, with other people claiming that 70-80% of MT '11 Mustangs have horrible transmissions. That thread is mob mentality at its finest, and i stand by what i said.

And I still don't understand what slight grinding is... In my experience with manual transmissions it either grinds (sounding unmistakeably horrible) or goes into gear. I too have had notchiness in this mustang, but no grinding.
Old 3/28/11 | 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Then you may have a real problem. Contact that Ford customer service rep or your dealer... My point was that that thread has become a few people with really serious problems, most with some notchiness, with other people claiming that 70-80% of MT '11 Mustangs have horrible transmissions. That thread is mob mentality at its finest, and i stand by what i said.

And I still don't understand what slight grinding is... In my experience with manual transmissions it either grinds (sounding unmistakeably horrible) or goes into gear. I too have had notchiness in this mustang, but no grinding.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 3/29/11 | 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

TSB done today and so far it's like 2 different gearboxes - now shifts like I thought it should have in the first place, nice and smooth. Hopefully this WILL stay fixed!
Old 3/29/11 | 09:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Hello members,

I recommend you bring your vehicles in to your Ford dealer and have them diagnosed. Then message me with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and contact info so I can help you further.

Deysha
Old 3/29/11 | 09:33 AM
Banned

Guys, the most important thing you have to look out for with the new fluid is the engine whine.

Given that this is much thinner fluid, the tranny will whine in WARMER temperatures.

Would love to hear if someone had it done in Florida or California.
Old 3/29/11 | 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Guys, the most important thing you have to look out for with the new fluid is the engine whine.

Given that this is much thinner fluid, the tranny will whine in WARMER temperatures.

Only reason I'm bit hesitant to have my car done.
Old 3/29/11 | 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
FWIW: Someone in Florida over on AFM is pissed because Ford and the dealer are insisting they put the dual clutch fluid in his despite the 70 degree weather being in complete contradiction to the conditions in the TSB.
Old 3/29/11 | 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by newpony
Only reason I'm bit hesitant to have my car done.
Same here. Will wait till we hear more from those with the dual clutch fluid and the warmer weather and it's effects on the tranny.
Old 3/29/11 | 12:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello members,

I recommend you bring your vehicles in to your Ford dealer and have them diagnosed. Then message me with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and contact info so I can help you further.

Deysha
Deysha,
Anybody on the Canadian side from customer service we can contact and give out that info ! Thx

Last edited by montreal ponies; 3/29/11 at 12:53 PM.
Old 3/29/11 | 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
FWIW: Someone in Florida over on AFM is pissed because Ford and the dealer are insisting they put the dual clutch fluid in his despite the 70 degree weather being in complete contradiction to the conditions in the TSB.
Yup, I follow everything. My shifting has become crap lately. I'm not taking it in, I do not think the fluid is the solution. Just a patch.

I will wait until I unleash the
Old 3/29/11 | 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Deysha,
Anybody on the Canadian side from customer service we can contact and give those info ! Thx
I had mentioned the shift problems etc to my dealer a while back right after I got my car. When I saw the TSB I mentioned it to them and was told to bring it in. I haven't called Ford or anything just gone through my dealer and had the TSB performed.
Old 3/29/11 | 04:36 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
I had mentioned the shift problems etc to my dealer a while back right after I got my car. When I saw the TSB I mentioned it to them and was told to bring it in. I haven't called Ford or anything just gone through my dealer and had the TSB performed.
Same with me, but I didn't even mention the TSB, I just brought it in and told them about the rough shifting. They tested it, found the TSB, and performed the service.
Old 3/30/11 | 10:21 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Deysha,
Anybody on the Canadian side from customer service we can contact and give out that info ! Thx
First your dealership and me so I can escalate it to Ford of Canada. You can also give them a call at 1-800-565-3673.

Deysha
Old 3/30/11 | 02:49 PM

How common is this issue and is it resolved on 2012s? I'm just waiting for mine to arrive at the dealership this week, has the MT.
Old 3/30/11 | 03:18 PM
GT Member

Scheduled an appointment with my local dealer to have the transmission fluid changed. About 760 miles on the clock. I'll report back.

Last edited by Liquid; 3/30/11 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: MT82 Problems - Fixed by Ford