Sponsored By:

MT82 Problems - Fixed by Ford

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/11, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up MT82 Problems - Fixed by Ford

UPDATE BELOW IN LATER THREAD

So I took my car in last Friday to Ford. It has been increasingly harder to shift the car into 1st and 2nd, and the car would grind into most gears. There has been a faint whine from the trans since ~1K miles on the dial. Car has 2800 miles on it now. Great technician at Ford warrantied it out and here is his right up:
Verify the customers concern. Remove the transmission from the car. All six bolts for the pressure plate were loose. Due to the loose pressure plate bolts the 3 alignment pins in the flywheels were snapped off. R&R the flywheel and the 6 pressure plate bolts. Change the trans fluid to the correct fluid and bleed the clutch assembly. Roadtest. THe clutch is working as it should be and there is no grinding gears.

3: XT-11-QDC (fluid-trans)
1: BR3Z-6375-C (flywheel asy)
6: W715869-S439 (bolt and was)
2: PM-1-C (fluid - brak)
Before I brought the car in shifting was very notchy. Now it shifts smooth as butter... huge difference, wow! Also, the clutch feels a lot lighter and engages nicely. Happy to be drivin the stang again

Last edited by Ivan 5.0; 3/23/11 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update
Old 3/22/11, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice!
Old 3/22/11, 07:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Treadhead
Nice!
Thx for the feedback, glad it all worked out good for you and Ford fixed it right.
Must say i'm a bit concerned about the loose pressure plate bolts. I mean, did they forget to put some red locktite on the bolts, or did they not correctly torqued the bolts to specs ! Raises questions.
I know the MT82 tranny is built in China, but the clutch assemblies are installed where the engines are built IMO. So was this a defective batch of China made bolts or a lack of quality control.

Ivan, when was your car built ?
Old 3/22/11, 07:10 PM
Cobra Member

So is this the fix for everyone who has the hard shifting?
Old 3/22/11, 08:57 PM
GT Member

This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of.

Me: My gears have been grinding for 11k miles, and there is a whine
Tech: let me take a look
:week later:
Tech: care is done!
Me: Did you fix it?
Tech: I replaced your clutch, flywheel, and fluid
Me: ok.... what about the damage done from 11k miles of grinding?
Tech: I stopped the grind, problem's fixed. Have a nice day!

Then I burn the building down.
Old 3/22/11, 09:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Thx for the feedback, glad it all worked out good for you and Ford fixed it right.
Must say i'm a bit concerned about the loose pressure plate bolts. I mean, did they forget to put some red locktite on the bolts, or did they not correctly torqued the bolts to specs ! Raises questions.
I know the MT82 tranny is built in China, but the clutch assemblies are installed where the engines are built IMO. So was this a defective batch of China made bolts or a lack of quality control.

Ivan, when was your car built ?
The bolts were a known issue, they had a supply of them that had too much loctite applied causing the bolts to tighten in the hole before they clamped down fully on the pressure plate allowing them to back out after a while.

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
That's the hope, time will tell.

Originally Posted by Ducky
This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of.

Me: My gears have been grinding for 11k miles, and there is a whine
Tech: let me take a look
:week later:
Tech: care is done!
Me: Did you fix it?
Tech: I replaced your clutch, flywheel, and fluid
Me: ok.... what about the damage done from 11k miles of grinding?
Tech: I stopped the grind, problem's fixed. Have a nice day!

Then I burn the building down.
Well, if they fix it with 11K on it but don't replace it then you have another 49K for it to go out before the warranty is up.

Some of the V6 guys that have the engine tick issue and lots of miles already on the clock have been successful in getting Ford to give them an extended warranty to help alleviate their fear of problems after the original warranty is up, maybe they will do it for the transmission issue too if you insist on it.

__

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 3/22/11 at 09:12 PM.
Old 3/22/11, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

49k may not be enough to realize the premature wear... if the thing should work, lets say to 100k without issue... then say its prematurely done now at 75k they still wont cover it.

I dunno that would **** me off. I'd start *****ing to get something in writing or some kind of extended warranty on the rest of the transmission from ford because of it. Get regional service manager involved or something.
Old 3/23/11, 06:49 AM
Banned

What dealership in NOVA did you take it to? I talked to my regular Koons Falls Church, but they said that I would be the first one that had this problem.

Can you let me know who your service adviser was and where? I want to get it done there.
Old 3/23/11, 06:49 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Hi Ethanjbeau,

This may or may not be the fix others need. If anyone feels they have an issue with their vehicle, they must bring it in to their Ford dealer and show them the problem. Then allow the dealer to diagnose and repair. They can contact the Ford Technical Hotline if they have questions or need direction to their specific concern. They may all sound or feel the same, but they may not all need the same repairs.

Deysha
Old 3/23/11, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
What dealership in NOVA did you take it to? I talked to my regular Koons Falls Church, but they said that I would be the first one that had this problem.

Can you let me know who your service adviser was and where? I want to get it done there.
PM sent.
Old 3/23/11, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
PM sent.
Can you PM me also with the dealer name.

My dealer (Ted Britt - Chantilly) said that Ford didn't have a fix out yet a few months back and also noted they couldn't replicate the issue.

So I'd like to take my car to a dealer that will recognize the issues we are having.
Old 3/23/11, 08:09 AM

Ya I'd like to know the dealer in nova you took it to also. Mine is useless.
Old 3/23/11, 08:11 AM
Banned

I usually take my car to koons ford. They're ok for the most part but they said my car would be the first one to have the tranny oil changed. I didn't want to be a test subject.

My only concern with the new fluid is the massive tranny whine. Given that this new oil is MUCH thinner, it will produce a sound of a 1989 Yugo. I'm sitting on sidelines for now. Grinding/rough shifting sucks!

**** you ford.
Old 3/23/11, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the update, taking mine in soon!!
Old 3/23/11, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Hello fellow 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Owners

When I purchased my car in September last year, I was unaware of how extremely passionate Mustang owners were about their rides. As so many of us are having clutch and transmission issues (to varying degrees) I've tried to keep us all in the loop with regard to Ford's effort to find solutions. The volume of emails, PM's, and posts to various websites has now become so overwhelming that it is impossible for me to answer each individually. The most robust and informative conversation going on right now is at allfordmustangs.com. It should be noted that Deysha, a Ford Customer Care Representative, monitors and posts updates there regularly and is intimately familiar with the problems we're all experiencing. I encourage you to remain active in the Mustang forum(s) of your choice, but with regard to this particular issue, I strongly advise you follow the sticky thread at allfordmustangs.com: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2318076

I thought I'd quickly summarize the symptoms, current fixes available, what we know so far, and how best to ensure your car is fixed

SYMPTOMS:
1. Clutch pedal sticks to the floor when fully depressed (Generally, cars built before May 2010)
2. Clutch engagement no longer progressive... more "on/off"... with very little pedal travel causing bucking/jerky launches.
3. Difficult to shift in temperatures below 35 degrees F.
4. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) until car is fully warmed up.
5. Grinding when shifting (1-2 and 2-3 reported most) all the time.
6. Inability to engage gears with clutch pedal fully depressed (non related to skip-shift)

CORRESPONDING SOLUTIONS:
1. Ford will install an updated pedal assembly that solves the problem.
2. No fix for 2011, but it should be noted that 2012 Mustangs have revised clutch assemblies.
3. Ford will change your transmission fluid. (Many owners report success, some report gear whine)
4. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Some owners report success, some report gear whine)
5. Ford may change your transmission fluid. (Few owners report success, some report gear whine)
6. Ford may replace your clutch assembly and install updated pressure plate bolts.

WHAT WE KNOW:
As most of you already know, if your problems continue after having these applied, there is no other fix as of 03/23/2011.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
1. Call Customer Care, report your problems, get a case number, ask that they arrange for your dealer to evaluate the car, and be sure to ask for free rental.
2. When you drop the car off, be sure a REPAIR ORDER is filled out and that the symptoms are documented to the tee. Drive the car with a service advisor.
3. If you feel your issues are severe enough that they constitute a safety risk, MAKE SURE THAT IS VISIBLE ON THE REPAIR ORDER.
4. Be prepared for "UNABLE TO REPRODUCE" on the invoice.
5. If your car is not repaired, contact your Customer Care Rep and insist your vehicle be examined by a FSE (engineer). Insist you would like to be present when he/she comes to evaluate your car. Also insist that your Service Manager accompany you. You should all drive both your car and another new one on the lot for comparison.
6. Make it crystal clear to the engineer, the customer care rep, and both your service and sales managers that YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH YOUR MUSTANG. If you believe your problems pose a safety risk, also make that clear to all parties.
7. Keep all of your Repair Orders and Invoices.

WHAT IF THAT DOESN'T WORK?
1. If your problems are minor, you could simply wait to see if Ford comes up with other fixes. Enjoy your Mustang!!!
2. My personal Customer Care Rep told me Ford is working on a revised clutch assembly for 2011's that should solve the shifting/clutch engagement issues. It should be noted that no other source has been able to confirm this.
3. If you believe your problems pose a safety risk, do not hesitate to report the issue to the NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
4. If you are unable to resolve your issues with the Dealer and Customer Care, contact Ford Customer Relations in Michigan. You can request a buy-back or vehicle replacement. Be prepared to receive a letter in 5 days denying your request stating that it does not qualify under your state's lemon law. THIS IS A FORM LETTER AND DO NOT ASSUME THIS IS ACCURATE. Your Customer Care Rep will call and should provide detailed information as to why your car is not being replaced. Be sure to post here if the reason given is "There is a fix coming". If you are told there is a fix coming, demand details.

I hope this is helpful

John
Old 3/23/11, 02:10 PM
V6 Member

John,

Great summary, thanks!

Sad to hear about no resolution for symptom 2.
Old 3/23/11, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

So apparently the car is EVEN MORE JACKED UP NOW! I drove it home last night and everything seemed ok - I only heard one faint grind (from 2nd to 3rd) while driving both city and highway home. The drive takes about 1//2 an hour.

Big Problem: Today I take the car out for a drive and 5 minutes in I hear a very loud fluttering sound when I accelerate (from the front of the car) and it gets louder and louder as the RPM's increase. It is very loud and very apparent. When I push the clutch in I still hear a fluttering sound until the sound gradually goes away after a second or so - sounds like its "winding down." This happens in any gear or in neutral. While driving the car back to my garage the check engine light starts to flicker and I feel a weird loss of power. I make it back to the garage. Turn the car off and turn it back on. No more check engine light. There is obviously something very wrong. Owned for ONLY 3 months. Has 2800 miles on the odo.

Last edited by Ivan 5.0; 3/23/11 at 04:12 PM.
Old 3/23/11, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow that Sucks. My only problem is I don't trust any ford tech. I know that's horrible to say but I have had so many bad experiences with cars in the past I have come to the conclusion that they stink. Sorry I know that bunching all of them together but it's what I think. Warranties are there for a reason, with that being sad I feel much more comfortable taking the car to an enthusiast speed shop because they thoroughly love the vehicle where as the service tech who just replaced the windshield wipers on a windstar is now ripping my tranny apart. With that being said, the guys who are having this grinding issue, is it a grind like I'm thinking of like when ur missing gears and stuff or is it just hard to put into gear. In other words do you hear a loud grinding noise? I really hope your situation gets resolved.
Old 3/23/11, 04:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds like it could be clutch related, i would again take it back to the dealership ASAP. Even with check engine light off, do you still have the fluttering sound ! When was your car built ?
Old 3/23/11, 04:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
Wow that Sucks. My only problem is I don't trust any ford tech. I know that's horrible to say but I have had so many bad experiences with cars in the past I have come to the conclusion that they stink. Sorry I know that bunching all of them together but it's what I think. Warranties are there for a reason, with that being sad I feel much more comfortable taking the car to an enthusiast speed shop because they thoroughly love the vehicle where as the service tech who just replaced the windshield wipers on a windstar is now ripping my tranny apart. With that being said, the guys who are having this grinding issue, is it a grind like I'm thinking of like when ur missing gears and stuff or is it just hard to put into gear. In other words do you hear a loud grinding noise? I really hope your situation gets resolved.
In most cases, it is hard to get into 1-2, 2-3 gears. Mine is mostly the 1-2 shift.

Quick Reply: MT82 Problems - Fixed by Ford