2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MT-82 Stiff/Hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/19, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT-82 Stiff/Hard shifting

Whats up guys i have a 2013 Gt 6-speed and ive been having drivetrain issues ever since i got it 2 years ago. Hard shifting 1st through 4 and reverse is **** there impossible. It dosnt glide into gear like most cars/ other mustangs. You really have to push to get it into 1sr from a stop. Rolling into first a whloe lot easier. The car shifts perfectly when the engine is off but once its running its like a resistance in almost all the gears. Clutch is always to the floor when a shift. The car came with a Barton short throw shifter and the all metal barton shifter bracket. I replaced tranny fluid at 35,000 miles with RP Syncromesh and friction modifier when i rebuilt rear end (bad backlash and gear whine). The clutch/brake fluid was really dirty so swapped it out and problem still occurs. When your outside the car you can hear a squeaking noise coming from the clutch when pressing in the pedal. Also i hear a rumbling noise when its in netural while car is running but goes away when you press in the clutch. Could this stiff shifting be a bad tranny or slave cylinder/bearing or clutch or flywheel bolts backing out. Car sucks driving in traffic you get a arm work out. Clutch pedal is stiff also just engagement points differ sometimes as you drive. Please help!!!!!!!

Replacing clutch soon with exedy mach 500 beacuse of high rpm lockout.
Old 7/11/19, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
hopefully some others with better ideas with chime in, meanwhile my quick thoughts:

> the shorter the throw on the shifter, the higher the effort needed -- I think the barton is adjustable, you might want to increase the throw to maximum and see if that helps

> I don't think you want friction modifier in the transmission, that is for the rear end . . . not sure if that might cause some issues

> for the high RPM lockout, I think you just need to remove or replace the helper spring, not the entire clutch

Last edited by Bert; 7/11/19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 7/11/19, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
hopefully some others with better ideas with chime in, meanwhile my quick thoughts:

> the shorter the throw on the shifter, the higher the effort needed -- I think the barton is adjustable, you might want to increase the throw to maximum and see if that helps

> I don't think you want friction modifier in the transmission, that is for the rear end . . . not sure if that might cause some issues

> for the high RPM lockout, I think you just need to remove or replace the helper spring, not the entire clutch

Oopps i meant the tranny additive. How do you adjust yhe shifter i have this one...

Old 7/11/19, 05:46 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I really don't like giving people bad news, but I think you have a clutch problem. It sounds to me like it's not fully releasing when you push the clutch pedal down. When a transmission is hard to shift in all the gears and hard to get in 1 st. with the engine running and easy with it off, a failure to fully release is usually the problem. It could be the hydraulic throw out bearing or the clutch itself. Either way, the transmission will have to come out. I'll bet the new clutch and throw out bearing will solve the problem. Good luck.
Old 7/12/19, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
^ maybe so, but it would be easier to try the shifter first . . . I am pretty sure the Barton is adjustable, but I might be thinking of some of the other short-shifters since I don't have one myself . . . I would look for the installation manual, either on American Muscle (often available in the product listing) or direct from Barton via web site or phone
Old 7/28/19, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new clutch will fix your dragging worn out clutch/throwout bearing. The shifter works fine, sounds like. You are not missing shifts, the issues sounds to be your clutch is not fully disengaging. Get that new clutch in there ASAP....