2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Which Model to Get

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/15, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
In the base the seats, the seat controls, door panels, door handles, door inserts, dash inserts, console, audio system, multimedia, gauges are all a joke. Seriously, i would be embarrassed, they at least changed the steering wheel to the mimic the premium model by adding the aluminum spokes.
Really? I disagree.

I have the Recaro seats, and in both Base and Premium those come with manual controls. The only difference is they come in leather in the Premium, which makes no sense for a track car. You slide around in them more.

As for dash inserts they are a different color on the Premium. I like the silver color in my base car more. The material is the same.

My console is identical to my buddy's GT premium. My steering wheel is leather with silver spokes just like a premium. The only thing missing is the arrow button controls for the cluster.

The main advantages of premium cars are cluster, better audio and leather if you're into it. Everything else is silver plastic trim anyway.
Old 6/4/15, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The premium console has the cup holder lighting as do the door panels.
Old 6/4/15, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing I regret not getting is the Recaros. I have a base with Brembos and tech package. I'm totally happy with that.

The pretty colored cup holder lights would probably interest my wife, but it didn't really interest me.
Old 6/4/15, 12:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Really? I disagree.

I have the Recaro seats, and in both Base and Premium those come with manual controls. The only difference is they come in leather in the Premium, which makes no sense for a track car. You slide around in them more.

As for dash inserts they are a different color on the Premium. I like the silver color in my base car more. The material is the same.

My console is identical to my buddy's GT premium. My steering wheel is leather with silver spokes just like a premium. The only thing missing is the arrow button controls for the cluster.

The main advantages of premium cars are cluster, better audio and leather if you're into it. Everything else is silver plastic trim anyway.

Did they change it? The Recaros are awesome for sure. Wish they did red leather Recaros.

I remember sitting in a base 2012 and i didnt like it. Everything was plastic from what i could tell. The dash panel and airbag cover were all plastic too. In the premium it looks to be some sort of metal or aluminum. Idk maybe its different for the 2013-2014. The interior door handles are plastic too instead of chrome.

I was actually pissed when i got my 401a package, i did it because i wanted red leather seats, but instead of brushed aluminum on the dash it came with some spotted type carbon look. I prefer the brushed aluminum.
Im used to European cars, and my daily is a MB GLK 350, so even the premium interior is not all that great for me. Ive had Audis and 2 other Mercedes so im a little bit of a snob when it comes to interiors.
Old 6/4/15, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Did they change it? The Recaros are awesome for sure. Wish they did red leather Recaros.

I remember sitting in a base 2012 and i didnt like it. Everything was plastic from what i could tell. The dash panel and airbag cover were all plastic too. In the premium it looks to be some sort of metal or aluminum. Idk maybe its different for the 2013-2014. The interior door handles are plastic too instead of chrome.

I was actually pissed when i got my 401a package, i did it because i wanted red leather seats, but instead of brushed aluminum on the dash it came with some spotted type carbon look. I prefer the brushed aluminum.
Im used to European cars, and my daily is a MB GLK 350, so even the premium interior is not all that great for me. Ive had Audis and 2 other Mercedes so im a little bit of a snob when it comes to interiors.
I think the 13-14 models got a few upgrades inside. Here is a few pics of my base car. I know the steering wheel was one big change. I hated the plastic wheel in the older models too.
Attached Thumbnails Which Model to Get-img_0262.jpg   Which Model to Get-img_0264.jpg   Which Model to Get-img_0266.jpg  
Old 6/4/15, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would definitely get the premium model, I thought I was in a different vehicle when compared to the base model. I have to have leather and all the amenities. The apps on the center display are also way cool!!!
Old 6/4/15, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
that brings another point to the table. I don't know about you guys in the US. But a new bill just passed in Ontario yesterday (I saw it on the news) If you are caught, playing, texting, emailing, talking and basically doing just about anything else with your phone, you are facing up to a $1,000 dollar fine and 3 demerit points. Bluetooth should be mandatory in all vehicles of all types. if these are the types of mandates we are being forced with, Bluetooth should not be "optional"
Completely agree. Bluetooth should be standard in every vehicle. If not standard, at least a stand alone option that doesn't require a $3,000 interior upgrade just to get Bluetooth.

IIRC, that same law that Ontario just passed also prohibits "chrome yellow" on any vehicles except for school busses. I wonder if Ontario just outlawed my School Bus Yellow Boss 302.
Old 6/5/15, 06:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
Completely agree. Bluetooth should be standard in every vehicle. If not standard, at least a stand alone option that doesn't require a $3,000 interior upgrade just to get Bluetooth.

IIRC, that same law that Ontario just passed also prohibits "chrome yellow" on any vehicles except for school busses. I wonder if Ontario just outlawed my School Bus Yellow Boss 302.

lol we'll find out if we see RCMP chase you down the highway on the news like OJ, back in the day.
Old 6/5/15, 06:28 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountie: "Sir, pull over."

Boss 0960: "What's this all aboot, eh?"

Mountie: "Sir, is your vehicle school bus yellow, eh? I'll have to cite you. That'll be five beaver pelts."
Old 6/5/15, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

LOL!
Old 6/5/15, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had both a base and premium V6 mustang. The premium is so much better and worth the extra money. The base does look super cheap. The black mirrors and analog gauges really look dated plus no Bluetooth. Sync is not anyway perfect but it's nice to stream music and answer calls. The base doesn't even have a USB port. Most of the base models don't even come with a spoiler.

On the used ones it shouldn't even be that big of difference on price. I paid $21k out the door for my 13 V6 premium, nav, and the pony package. That was over a year ago and the car only had 20k on the odo.
Old 6/5/15, 08:18 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I would recommend Premium so that he gets the ambient lighting, the cluster and better stereo. I'm sure he'll find PLENTY of mods to dream about and spend money on, even in the premium, so why not check those things off the list right away, then he can focus on wheels spoilers etc blah blah blah
Old 6/5/15, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
My son is wanting to buy a GHIG 2014 2013 Mustang. We can find several base models. I am telling him to wait for a premium to show up.

What is the real Difference between the Base and the Premium?

Any one own the Base?

How do you like it?

You didn't specify Base/Premium V6 or GT. Did the V6 come in GHIG?

Anyway, I went with the V6 Base with the performance and tech package. The reason was I couldn't see spending 4K extra for leather and ambient lighting and host of other crap I didn't want. Plus I knew I was going to supercharge it anyway. The radio is good enough, I love the Bluetooth for streaming music from my home server, I have USB for taking other music on the go, and at nearly 400 rwhp I lay down plenty of power. So my advice to your son is to get a base V6 or GT, and put the extra that he saved into Go Fast mods.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 6/5/15 at 06:19 PM.
Old 6/5/15, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I ordered my '14 GT, I checked every box (except for the rear sensors- heck, when I go into reverse a camera displays what's behind me... if I see it and still hit it I deserve a ding on my bumper ).

The 401A interior is just loads better than the base (IMO), and if he really likes the LCD display in the instrument console, that should just seal the deal for the premium (unless he is in engineering school and enjoys ripping apart a car he just purchased).

The Recaros are awesome (if only they came in red), but the only thing my wife asked I order was heated seats- and you can't get em with the Recaros.

There's still plenty of modding you can do to the premium package, but it does give you a bunch of stuff you'd probably end up doing anyway (and by the time you pay for all the stuff you'll add, you might as well spring for it up front and rely on Ford's installation).
Old 6/5/15, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went for the base car because I don't like leather, don't care about the stereo, don't like the metal colored dash and wanted a car that had less things to go wrong with it. The only thing I wished my car had was the upgraded instrument cluster and that is about it.

Also good choice on the GHIG. That was the color I wanted but there were none to be found locally and I didn't want to order so I settled for SGM which I also like but just not as much.

Wayne
Old 6/10/15, 10:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
He is now leaning toward the Premium based on all of what was said. The Base on the one he is looking at has the tech package so it has the nicer steering wheel and Sync.
Old 6/11/15, 05:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960

Base 13-14 cars had an option of Sync, power driver seat and self dimming mirror as a stand alone offering. That is the only option I wish I had went with. The rest of the car suits my tastes of having a muscle car, not a luxury car in disguise.
Old 6/11/15, 05:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I've had both a base and premium V6 mustang. The premium is so much better and worth the extra money. The base does look super cheap. The black mirrors and analog gauges really look dated plus no Bluetooth. Sync is not anyway perfect but it's nice to stream music and answer calls. The base doesn't even have a USB port. Most of the base models don't even come with a spoiler.

On the used ones it shouldn't even be that big of difference on price. I paid $21k out the door for my 13 V6 premium, nav, and the pony package. That was over a year ago and the car only had 20k on the odo.
None of this is a problem on base GT models.