Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mobil 1 5w50 Oil Analysis results

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/14, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
The P-51 I take care of is another story for both oil and coolant. The engine alone costs more than most people’s homes and the radiator costs about 75% as much as the Mustangs we’re driving. The real trump card is, if there is an inflight failure, you don’t just pull off to the side of the road.
Oh ya...when all the expenses are totaled up the P-51 is around $900 per hour to operate. The fresh engine cost just under $250,000.
John
You probably heard, then, about the demise of the Galveston Gal. Have you heard any information on why the plane failed? I'm curious. My dad rode in that plane a year before it was lost, and P51's of all variations are one of those things I grew up loving as a kid who had a dad that loved WWII aircraft.
Old 2/10/14, 07:45 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
So I looked up prices of P-51s and it seems they go for $1.5-2.5m

But is there anything cooler on the planet
Old 2/10/14, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

I know that was a rhetorical question, but I'm still going to go with F-14 through F-22. And I'm excluding the F-35 on purpose

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/10/14 at 08:29 PM.
Old 2/11/14, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I know that was a rhetorical question, but I'm still going to go with F-14 through F-22. And I'm excluding the F-35 on purpose
A) Jets are for kids
B) Kerosene stinks
C) Jets whine like women and children
This makes the Mustang the undisputed winner in this contest!

KCO, I don’t know that it’s fair to say the airplane failed. As far as I know that is not a known fact in any way shape or form. There are some theories floating about out there but they are not based on facts, only conjecture. Piecing the wreckage together may lead to some answers. I’ll leave it at that.

John

Last edited by Horspla; 2/11/14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2/11/14, 05:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

No. Absolutely no.
Old 2/11/14, 06:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

A) Jets are for kids
B) Kerosene stinks
C) Jets whine like women and children
This makes the Mustang the undisputed winner in this contest!

KCO, I don’t know that it’s fair to say the airplane failed. As far as I know that is not a known fact in any way shape or form. There are some theories floating about out there but they are not based on facts, only conjecture. Piecing the wreckage together may lead to some answers. I’ll leave it at that.

John
Thanks for the info on the Galveston Gal. I'd hate to think it was something other than a mechanical issue.

I go to air shows to look at and listen to two things: choppers and WWII aircraft. I realize we romanticize that war, but one of the reasons it stands out to me is the ingenuity and creativity we used to put our men in equipment that was capable of winning the war against a machine--the German military--that was very well built to do its job. The entire country pitched in however they could, we made sacrifices, we redesigned, we adjusted, and we prevailed. The aircraft seem to embody all of that, both because they were the height of the engineering efforts and because they look and sound so glorious. There's little better than hearing and seeing that Merlin driving that plane through the air, whistling at full burn.
Old 2/12/14, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Thanks for the info on the Galveston Gal. I'd hate to think it was something other than a mechanical issue.

I go to air shows to look at and listen to two things: choppers and WWII aircraft. I realize we romanticize that war, but one of the reasons it stands out to me is the ingenuity and creativity we used to put our men in equipment that was capable of winning the war against a machine--the German military--that was very well built to do its job. The entire country pitched in however they could, we made sacrifices, we redesigned, we adjusted, and we prevailed. The aircraft seem to embody all of that, both because they were the height of the engineering efforts and because they look and sound so glorious. There's little better than hearing and seeing that Merlin driving that plane through the air, whistling at full burn.
KCO bear in mind when it comes to airplane crashes, an open, rational mind must be kept. I’ve dealt with four of them, each holding a very deep personal importance with me. Sorting it all out in one’s mind both personally and professionally is never easy in any way. Sometimes the conclusion is not what a person wants to hear which adds a very bitter sting to the situation.

In the end machines are just machines and an airplane is a machine: when operating correctly they do only what is asked of them reacting in response to, in this case the pilots input. Even the most talented pilots have been known to make poor decisions for any number of reasons. Machines also unexpectedly malfunction without prior warning. However because of redundancy in critical systems, “Mechanicals” are far less frequently determined as the cause of a crash verses pilot error.

America was once a great place where the seemingly impossible happened on a regular basis. The American “machine” that quickly pulled together and assembled itself to help win WWII is a prime example of that. The few remaining warbirds we try to keep flying are intended to be a tribute and reminder of the sacrifices made by former generations. Unfortunately, they also stand a glaring testament of how America today is slowly dumbing down from a steady stream of bad politics, apathy, and generations of self-absorbed people to name a few reasons.

I guess I’ve derailed the original intent of the thread…Sorry…back to oil analysis!

John
Old 2/12/14, 06:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

America was once a great place where the seemingly impossible happened on a regular basis. The American “machine” that quickly pulled together and assembled itself to help win WWII is a prime example of that. The few remaining warbirds we try to keep flying are intended to be a tribute and reminder of the sacrifices made by former generations. Unfortunately, they also stand a glaring testament of how America today is slowly dumbing down from a steady stream of bad politics, apathy, and generations of self-absorbed people to name a few reasons.

I guess I’ve derailed the original intent of the thread…Sorry…back to oil analysis!

John
Thanks for the explanation, and you're right. Sometimes the truth isn't what we want to hear. I'm just saddened that the plane has been lost.

The rest of what you said, I agree with. It's unfortunate, but also very true.
Old 2/12/14, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
For anyone interested I received back my oil analysis results for Mobil 1 5w50.

I put the M1 in when the car had a total of ~450 miles (replaced factory oil)

I put on about 4500 street miles and 300 track miles before changing again.

Note the comment about higher than average metal... perhaps supports my theory on changing the oil very early on due to engine break-in

Attachment 152559
Going back to the oil analysis, I just noticed something. You were using M1 5W-50. I noticed the Zinc content was 917, slightly above the 857 average. I have used M1 15W-50 for race engines in my motor for the track. And I just remembered it comes with extra Zinc for protection. I guess there is quite a bit of Zinc in the 5W stuff too. Good to know.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/12/14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2/13/14, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Going back to the oil analysis, I just noticed something. You were using M1 5W-50. I noticed the Zinc content was 917, slightly above the 857 average. I have used M1 15W-50 for race engines in my motor for the track. And I just remembered it comes with extra Zinc for protection. I guess there is quite a bit of Zinc in the 5W stuff too. Good to know.
Yeah this thread got some really interesting side discussions!

Your right the zinc levels are pretty good in the 5w50. I beleive the race oil has quite a bit more still but not bad at all for the 5w50. My next round of oil analysis will probably be in the late July timeframe with 600 or so track miles on the motorcraft 5w50. Will switch to my castrol that I stockpiled last year when it was on sale. Should be able to have some reasonable data for three different oils later this year to support deciding what I want to go with long term
Old 2/13/14, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah this thread got some really interesting side discussions!

Your right the zinc levels are pretty good in the 5w50. I beleive the race oil has quite a bit more still but not bad at all for the 5w50. My next round of oil analysis will probably be in the late July timeframe with 600 or so track miles on the motorcraft 5w50. Will switch to my castrol that I stockpiled last year when it was on sale. Should be able to have some reasonable data for three different oils later this year to support deciding what I want to go with long term
I noticed the zinc content as well. I was told zinc was removed from oil by EPA mandate...or am I thinking of a different additive anti-wear metal?

Does Motorcraft offer a full synthetic oil or are all their offerings semi-syn? I was led to believe the latter is the case by one of their service writers.

John

John
Old 2/13/14, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcraft

XO-5w50-QGT ...
5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor
Old 2/13/14, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

...Does Motorcraft offer a full synthetic oil or are all their offerings semi-syn?...
0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W50 are all offered as a full synthetic.
Old 2/13/14, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W50 are all offered as a full synthetic.
Interesting. When I asked my dealer to change the oil and requested 5-30 full syn he told me Ford didn't offer it. Normally I do all my own MX on the car but I had a $25 coupon so I figured what the heck, why not let them do it. I let them put the junk in and used it for a couple thousand miles before switching to Mobil 1 full syn 5-30.

John
Old 2/13/14, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Interesting. When I asked my dealer to change the oil and requested 5-30 full syn he told me Ford didn't offer it. Normally I do all my own MX on the car but I had a $25 coupon so I figured what the heck, why not let them do it. I let them put the junk in and used it for a couple thousand miles before switching to Mobil 1 full syn 5-30.

John
I had to get my dealer a copy of the section in my owners manual that specifically required 5w50 full synthetic for my TP equipped car. They were convinced that ONLY the Shelby took full synthetic oil. I proved my case of course and am assuming they actually put in the right oil. I actually have considered pulling a bit out to send for analysis to make sure... but given half the mechanics were around my car when it was in the garage (I did hear them revving the engine while I was in the waiting room... think it was the first one they'd heard with GT500 axle backs), I have some faith they did it right
Old 2/14/14, 04:25 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I've only found Motorcraft Full Synthetic being sold at my local Ford dealers. Cost $63 per oil change (5W20) with me doing it myself on my V6, 6 quarts and a Motorcraft filter I'm going to go back to synthetic 'blend' after i use up the full synthetic i have. From Walmart around $25 with filter per oil change
Old 2/14/14, 04:21 PM

If you guys have NAPA around you,, they usually carry Mobile1 5w50. It also goes on sale once every two months or so, for ~$6 a qrt. That's when I usually stock up.
Old 2/14/14, 05:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by F.D. Sako
If you guys have NAPA around you,, they usually carry Mobile1 5w50. It also goes on sale once every two months or so, for ~$6 a qrt. That's when I usually stock up.
Yep took advantage of that last summer. Later in the fall NAPA had castrol syntec for around $6/qt too. Stocked up again
Old 2/14/14, 10:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Yep took advantage of that last summer. Later in the fall NAPA had castrol syntec for around $6/qt too. Stocked up again
Advance Auto Parts has a Syntec special going almost continuously for going on 3 years now. Usually $32 for 5 quarts and a Purolator PureOne filter. I do that for both our cars.
Old 2/15/14, 05:53 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You all know Purolator makes the Motorcraft oil filters for Ford. Just pointing that out..........

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 5w50 Oil Analysis results