Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

In the middle of installing a tire/wheel kit from American Muscle. Couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/14, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the middle of installing a tire/wheel kit from American Muscle. Couple questions.

First, is the Pirelli PZero Nero all season tire directional? Called AM, but the rep wasn't sure.

Second, they use little black square weights that are taped on the inside of the wheel to balance it. Is that typical? I thought a weight was tapped in. One strip fell off and I have no idea where it goes. Now I have to get it re-balanced. AM said they would reimburse me, but I feel like I want them all re-balanced now. I don't trust these things to stay on.

Thanks for any input!
Old 4/1/14, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are not directional, but are asymmetric
Old 4/1/14, 08:50 AM
GT Member

When I got my wheels from AM one of the wheels still had the weights on the front face of the wheel (one of the back wheels as I got a staggered set). Then I found about 5 more weights in the boxes. Had to take them over to America's Tire to get them re-balanced and got a warranty on everything all for $150 (the balance would have been like $40, but now the tires are warrantied against road hazard etc).

They were all about 3-4 ozs out in balance; even had to go back the next day because they were so bad, even after having them balanced, there was a shimmy in the steering and back of the car that you could feel over 50 mph. Second time was the charm, but kind of disappointed in the free balancing from American Muscle. I never did bother with contacting them for reimbursement as I opted for the more expensive warranty with life time balance and road hazard replacement for the tires. Still have some of the nifty black stick on weights that my wife found in the boxes when she went through them...

Oh well, still a great deal and didn't have to pay to get them mounted. The TPMS synced up on the first try.

Here they are on the car:
Name:  50sig-1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  34.7 KB

Last edited by Azrael; 4/1/14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 4/1/14, 10:22 AM
GTR Member

Definitely get them all rebalanced, I'm sure A/M will foot the bill.

The other thing you need to do before installing them on the car is remove the brake disc retainer clips, there will be one at each rotor on one of the studs. It is a circular clip that is used at the factory during assembly and is not needed afterward, but if you leave the clips on they will cause a misalignment of the A/M wheels because they are not made with clearance for them.
Old 4/1/14, 10:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Definitely get them all rebalanced, I'm sure A/M will foot the bill.

The other thing you need to do before installing them on the car is remove the brake disc retainer clips, there will be one at each rotor on one of the studs. It is a circular clip that is used at the factory during assembly and is not needed afterward, but if you leave the clips on they will cause a misalignment of the A/M wheels because they are not made with clearance for them.
Very good point, thanks for adding that! I forgot as I did it naturally, but it is something that definitely needs to be done as the retaining clip will make a clearance "wobble".
Old 4/1/14, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the replies. They are all on and look great. Huge improvement over the stock setup. I did know to remove the retaining clips. Definitely getting them all re-balanced. I need that piece of mind after the weights fell off. Lunch break, then back out to do the TPMS and install a new tune because of the rear wheel size.
Old 4/1/14, 12:18 PM
GTR Member

It's not the wheel size that needs to be adjusted for, it's the tire size.
Old 4/1/14, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

It's not the wheel size that needs to be adjusted for, it's the tire size.
Thanks. Yes, I know. That was a mistake.
Old 4/1/14, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cdiaz1069
First, is the Pirelli PZero Nero all season tire directional? Called AM, but the rep wasn't sure.

Second, they use little black square weights that are taped on the inside of the wheel to balance it. Is that typical? I thought a weight was tapped in. One strip fell off and I have no idea where it goes. Now I have to get it re-balanced. AM said they would reimburse me, but I feel like I want them all re-balanced now. I don't trust these things to stay on.

Thanks for any input!
No, the Pirelli PZero tire's aren't directional. You're in good shape there!

As far the balancing goes.. It's pretty common to use stick on weights. However, in shipping if the carrier isn't super careful they can be knocked off. I would just take the Wheels down to a shop and get them re-balanced. Once they're re-balanced just shoot us over a receipt and we'll gladly reimburse you whatever it cost!

I hope this helps. Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Dan
Old 4/1/14, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for any input!
If your wheels are black, buy some good black high temp cloth tape and apply that over the tape-on weights to make sure they stay in place. If your wheels are aluminum or chrome, use the aluminum foil duct tape. Works like a charm on all the racing wheels we balance. Obviously you want the weights on the backside of the wheels and make sure they clear the brake calipers!

John

Last edited by Horspla; 4/1/14 at 03:50 PM.
Old 4/1/14, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I just installed a wheel and tire package from AM. I had my alignment and balance checked twice. Balance was off by a few ounces. I have a little shake in the steering wheel but don't think I feel like going through all the trouble to get them replaced. What do you guys think?
Old 4/1/14, 06:23 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 25bduse
I have a little shake in the steering wheel but don't think I feel like going through all the trouble to get them replaced. What do you guys think?
Did you pull the retainer clips off the rotors as described above?
Old 4/1/14, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you pull the retainer clips off the rotors as described above?
Sure didn't. I didn't see that post. I sure hope that's what is causing it. Thanks!
Old 4/1/14, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
No, the Pirelli PZero tire's aren't directional. You're in good shape there!

As far the balancing goes.. It's pretty common to use stick on weights. However, in shipping if the carrier isn't super careful they can be knocked off. I would just take the Wheels down to a shop and get them re-balanced. Once they're re-balanced just shoot us over a receipt and we'll gladly reimburse you whatever it cost!

I hope this helps. Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Dan
They were delivered a week ago. They just fell off while sitting on my porch. I had all four re-balanced this afternoon and a credit has already been issued by AM. Thanks.
Old 4/2/14, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor

They were delivered a week ago. They just fell off while sitting on my porch. I had all four re-balanced this afternoon and a credit has already been issued by AM. Thanks.
Alright. I'm glad to hear that they're all squared away and you have already been credited back.

Thanks for your business and loyalty! We really appreciate it.

-Dan
Old 4/4/14, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I removed the retainer clips and it seems to have worked. Its amazing that can make that much of a difference. (knock on wood)