Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lower suspension or wheels and tires first?

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/15, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZeeGT
Silverstate777, any issues with wheel balancing? Or did you not do that because it was a test fit?

You recommend using a spacer. I've read that spacers aren't really safe specially if you take the car to the track. Any thoughts, experience on that?
The SC-5 was a wheel-only test fit.

I don’t track my car, but 2 mm of clearance is much too close for my liking which is why I suggested the thin 1/8” spacer. Here’s more reading about wheel spacers:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...s_spacers.aspx

I did another wheel–only test fit using an APEX 18x9 wheel which cleared my Brembo calipers by 5 mm without the need for a spacer.

http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-pr...l#.VjTFNJVzNLN
Attached Thumbnails Lower suspension or wheels and tires first?-apex-18x9.jpg  
Old 10/31/15, 12:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstate777
The SC-5 was a wheel-only test fit.

I don’t track my car, but 2 mm of clearance is much too close for my liking which is why I suggested the thin 1/8” spacer. Here’s more reading about wheel spacers:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...s_spacers.aspx

I did another wheel–only test fit using an APEX 18x9 wheel which cleared my Brembo calipers by 5 mm without the need for a spacer.

http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-pr...l#.VjTFNJVzNLN
Thanks for the info! Will definitely take this into account when switching out wheels.
Old 10/31/15, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
any wheel that will fit an 07 to 14 GT500 will clear the Brembos.
Old 11/1/15, 05:47 AM
V6 Member

Does anyone have any experience with SR Performance springs? They're on sale right now at AM for about $100 less than the Steeda Ultralites and I'm strongly considering them.
Old 11/1/15, 08:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
How much are you going to track it? If you're going to use it several times a year on a track/autocross, get the wheels/tires first. If you lower it, you may--MAY--limit the tires you can put on the car. Get the parts that are actually necessary before you make it pretty.

I have a '13 500 and I'm looking at 18" wheels for racing right now. I would strongly suggest you talk directly with the manufacturer of any wheel you decide to buy if you have the big brakes up front to verify that they will fit over them. Some will, (BBK has some 18" wheels that are known to fit over them without modification), but most won't. Wouldn't be a bad idea to speak to a custom wheel fab shop either like TrueForged to determine what offsets you'd need for 18" wheels to fit.

Tires, if you're going to track it a lot, you will be better served by getting a second set of wheels, not replacing the ones you currently have. You'll also want a set of competition rubber that's designed for track use, such as the Toyo 888 for example. Very low tread wear rating (no higher than 140). Consider a SQUARE setup for anything other than drag racing (autocross, track days, etc.).

Suspension, I will tell you now to replace your panhard bar with a watts link if you spend any significant amount of time at the track/autocross. Yes, it really does make a difference. Again, if you're tracking it, get springs/shocks that will function well. That means money. You're going to spend more on sturdier, dependable equipment that won't need replacing after three track days. All depends on how much you want to really push the car. I went with the KW V3 because it allows me to raise and lower the car as I need, stiffen/soften the damping and rebound on all four corners. I push my car though, so you may not need something quite so pricey.

Good luck

edit: May want to speak to this guy re: tracking the car.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...chaels-129260/

Last edited by kcoTiger; 11/1/15 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11/1/15, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
How much are you going to track it? If you're going to use it several times a year on a track/autocross, get the wheels/tires first. If you lower it, you may--MAY--limit the tires you can put on the car. Get the parts that are actually necessary before you make it pretty.

I have a '13 500 and I'm looking at 18" wheels for racing right now. I would strongly suggest you talk directly with the manufacturer of any wheel you decide to buy if you have the big brakes up front to verify that they will fit over them. Some will, (BBK has some 18" wheels that are known to fit over them without modification), but most won't. Wouldn't be a bad idea to speak to a custom wheel fab shop either like TrueForged to determine what offsets you'd need for 18" wheels to fit.

Tires, if you're going to track it a lot, you will be better served by getting a second set of wheels, not replacing the ones you currently have. You'll also want a set of competition rubber that's designed for track use, such as the Toyo 888 for example. Very low tread wear rating (no higher than 140). Consider a SQUARE setup for anything other than drag racing (autocross, track days, etc.).

Suspension, I will tell you now to replace your panhard bar with a watts link if you spend any significant amount of time at the track/autocross. Yes, it really does make a difference. Again, if you're tracking it, get springs/shocks that will function well. That means money. You're going to spend more on sturdier, dependable equipment that won't need replacing after three track days. All depends on how much you want to really push the car. I went with the KW V3 because it allows me to raise and lower the car as I need, stiffen/soften the damping and rebound on all four corners. I push my car though, so you may not need something quite so pricey.

Good luck

edit: May want to speak to this guy re: tracking the car.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...chaels-129260/
KcoTiger, I'm interested in giving auto-x a try. Never tracked before, so I figure just a couple times a year as far as tracking goes. Primary duty will be daily driving.
Old 11/1/15, 10:11 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with SR Performance springs? They're on sale right now at AM for about $100 less than the Steeda Ultralites and I'm strongly considering them.
I'd stick with the Steedas personally. If you can wait another month, they usually have a pretty good black friday sale.
Old 11/1/15, 10:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I'd stick with the Steedas personally. If you can wait another month, they usually have a pretty good black friday sale.
Good idea BlueNotch, thanks.
Old 11/1/15, 12:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
We firmly believe in our products & stand behind them 100%.

We appreciate the feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/2/15, 07:29 AM
V6 Member

Ok, another couple of questions then...

I know this is subjective as hell but would ride quality be the same in regards to NVH if I lowered and kept the stock 19's? Would switching to 18's have any effect on NVH?

I like the stock setup because NVH is pretty muted over rough roads compared to my previous car, an 08 GTI.
Old 11/2/15, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Technically ride should be more damped with larger aspect ratio tire on the 18s. Chances are you'll have 45 aspect ratio, so more rubber between you and the road.

Practically, this also depends on how stiff the sidewall of the tire is.
Old 11/2/15, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Road noise has a lot to do with the tires themselves also -- some are quieter than others, in the same size. TireRack's ratings might be helpful.

Like 5. said, assuming you keep the same overall tire diameter, an 18" wheel/tire has 1" more rubber and 1" less metal than a 19" wheel/tire (or 1/2" on the radius) . . . rubber tends to be squishier and quieter; metal is hard and transmits more noise.
Old 11/2/15, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I'm not sure the 18s will fit over your Brembos but I know the 20s will. I've been leaning towards getting these for mine, but I'm not making a final decision until spring.
They won't fit over the Brembos.
Old 11/4/15, 08:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Roller13
They won't fit over the Brembos.
Thanks for the info Roller13... Finding a 5 spoke 18" wheel that fits over the Brembos is kinda becoming a second job...
Old 11/4/15, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the info Roller13... Finding a 5 spoke 18" wheel that fits over the Brembos is kinda becoming a second job...
i believe forgestar's CF5s fit...

also, vorshlags D-Force will work...

Old 11/4/15, 02:43 PM
V6 Member

King, thanks for the info. I had looked at the CF5's but wanted something a little more "classic" looking. Didn't know about the Vorshlags.
Old 11/4/15, 03:01 PM

By "classic" looking what do you mean? Unfortunately Brembo cars will not fit many low offset dished wheels (bullits for example) because of the caliper...

I'm in PR by the way!

edited:

try americanmuscle.com, they should have a 5 spoke wheel in 18" that should fit.

Mickey Thompson SC-5 (18") - says that they'll fit '13 Boss (which has our brakes)

Last edited by ~KING~; 11/4/15 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11/4/15, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If you can find a set, the American Racing Daytonas in 18x9 +24 offset. I've been looking for a set, but they're discontinued so they're hard to find.
Old 11/5/15, 06:10 AM
V6 Member

King, by classic I meant wheels with thicker width spokes like the SC-5 not thinner spokes like the Forgestars. I had looked at the SC-5's but Silverstate777 mentioned in this thread that he did a test fitting and they cleared the Brembos by 2mm which is really very little clearance IMHO. He suggested a spacer, but I'm still researching safety issues on those. So far the SC-5's were my first choice. Is it OK if I PM you?
Old 11/5/15, 06:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
If you can find a set, the American Racing Daytonas in 18x9 +24 offset. I've been looking for a set, but they're discontinued so they're hard to find.
laserred38, thanks for the info I'll look at those.

Quick Reply: Lower suspension or wheels and tires first?