2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Long cranking times?

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/10, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
I'm with Charlie on this one... there's no way I want the car to continue doing something I didn't ask for it to do. Like let's say I realize there's a cat in my radiator fan... or something... and I hit the starter and see the blood squirt out... or something... I want to be able to shut that sucker down RIGHT NOW by ceasing my request. Yeah, I could turn the key off but I want to know that I control the start, not the car.

Rest in peace Mr. Wiggles...

Or a (really small) midget.

R.I.P. Joe
Old 7/22/10, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm with Charlie on this one... there's no way I want the car to continue doing something I didn't ask for it to do. Like let's say I realize there's a cat in my radiator fan... or something... and I hit the starter and see the blood squirt out... or something... I want to be able to shut that sucker down RIGHT NOW by ceasing my request. Yeah, I could turn the key off but I want to know that I control the start, not the car.

The car is not doing something that you did not ask it to from my perspective.

You turn to key to start. The car tries to start. You release the key which returns to the run position. The car tries to accompish this by making the engine start and then continue to run.
If you don't want the car to run, you turn the key to off, which turns the car off. Seems simple to me by thinking it out logically.
Old 7/22/10, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by YSUsteven

You turn to key to start. The car tries to start. You release the key which returns to the run position. The car tries to accompish this by making the engine start and then continue to run.
If you don't want the car to run, you turn the key to off, which turns the car off. Seems simple to me by thinking it out logically.
Mr. Wiggles doesn't like you.

Old 7/22/10, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

To answer the original question... My car has done it a few times. I held the key in the start position for what seemed like a really long time. 3-4 seconds. When I let the key go, it stopped cranking. Then I tried it again, same result.

While trying to think who I call for a tow, it started up on the 3rd try after about a 10 second pause.

I think I just didn't crank it long enough, but it definitely cranked for 4 seconds as if it wasn't going to start during that long crank.
Old 7/22/10, 09:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by YSUsteven

Didn't I meet you in a Terminator II game from the future?

Rather than my machine thinking for me, I prefer "Me Tarzan, you Jane!"

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/9/11 at 07:39 PM.
Old 7/23/10, 04:14 AM
Bullitt Member

HA!

You could always lift up on the clutch.