2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A little disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/13, 09:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, WhiteBird, I am a little surprised that you noticed that much difference. From the reading I have done , the 3.55 gears is about where most really start to see their fuel economy suffering. Of course, that isn't really the primary objective to anyone buying a Mustang! Before I drove the Mustang, I drove a new Camaro, and had intended to purchase one. That was the one thing about the Camaro that I liked over the Mustang. Its 3.23 gears IIRC felt better to me than the 2.73s in the '13 six speed Mustang that I drove. Nothing wrong with the Camaro, I just like the Mustang much better, and feel that it offers a great deal more car for the money! I have purchased 5 brand new Chevrolets, and several nearly new ones. This is to be my first new Ford!
Old 3/13/13, 09:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014grabber
Thanks, Deysha! PM sent!
Thanks, 2014grabber! I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 3/13/13, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

Thank you, Deysha! As I said, it may well be too late to change at this point, but if it is, then I am very close to getting my car!
Old 3/15/13, 07:06 AM

Thank you, Deysha! As I said, it may well be too late to change at this point, but if it is, then I am very close to getting my car!
It built before you PM me, 2014grabber.

Deysha
Old 3/15/13, 07:27 AM
V6 Member

Well, thanks for looking just the same! I knew it was going to be close. Its great to have you on here looking into things like this for us. I consider that my car is already built to ge great news also! I will just run the car as is for a while, then decide how far I want to go with the gears.
Old 3/15/13, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've got 2.73
Old 3/16/13, 11:15 AM
GT Member

^ Don't know if you've checked around, but it's really not much more expensive to get the rear gears changed using factory parts, plus labor, than it is to get them from the factory. Could even be cheaper. That's how Ford likely set the option price, because really it doesn't cost them much more to put one or the other in, or to make either. Plus you'll have some spare parts lol.

Sure it's less convenient, but when you drop your car off for the first service, you could have them do the change and just leave the car for the whole day, probably what most do anyway, would make the service really worthwhile...plus you'll appreciate the gear difference more then too.

Last edited by cfraser; 3/16/13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 04:49 PM
V6 Member

Exactly. I am also thinking that would be money from my pocket, as opposed to adding to the cost of my car, and a higher payment. I choose to look at this as a win. It was too late because my car was already built! I am thinking I may even be lucky enough to see it sometime next week. So, the dealer experience could have been a little better, but I placed the order with my dealer on 2-18 and the window sticker I pulled up shows a blend date of 3-11. Less than 1 month and its already built! I am getting pretty excited. I already have a set of Husky Liners, a factory auto headlamp switch, and a set of MRT Interceptors for it! I may even take a vacation day when it arrives and get the windows tinted before I even drive it home!
Old 3/17/13, 11:09 AM
Banned

Exactly. I am also thinking that would be money from my pocket, as opposed to adding to the cost of my car, and a higher payment. I choose to look at this as a win. It was too late because my car was already built! I am thinking I may even be lucky enough to see it sometime next week. So, the dealer experience could have been a little better, but I placed the order with my dealer on 2-18 and the window sticker I pulled up shows a blend date of 3-11. Less than 1 month and its already built! I am getting pretty excited. I already have a set of Husky Liners, a factory auto headlamp switch, and a set of MRT Interceptors for it! I may even take a vacation day when it arrives and get the windows tinted before I even drive it home!
Ok, ill bite. Why do you have another headlamp switch?
Old 3/17/13, 11:47 AM
V6 Member

My car is a v6 premium. Unless you order the MCA, or the Pony package, which both come with fogs, you do not get the auto headlamp feature. The cars all have everything in place for that function, but you must upgrade the headlamp switch to gain that function. Its plug and play, plus it has the positon to control fogs when I add them. Some could take it or leave it, but I have been using this function since GM added it to their trucks in '99, and really like it. The cost was less than $25 including shipping for the factory part.
Old 3/17/13, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

The auto Headlights are kinda in the V6 Premium.. All you need to do is change the switch. It works with same sensor as your My Color. Also curious why you did not opt for the PP which gives you the 3:31.

Last edited by GreenCars; 3/17/13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 3/17/13, 08:16 PM
V6 Member

I honestly wanted the 17" tires and wheels that come without the PP. I do love the PP car, other than that. I am also, unfortunately, going through a divorce and am only able to purchase a car because my current one has over 170,000 miles and is becoming a concern, since I have to drive 100 miles each day. I chose a car that I wanted, at a price I felt I could live with. As it is my Mustang is going to cost pretty much the same as my wifes current car. I could not have spent the extra 2K and felt good about it, especially since she was amicable enough to support this purchase instead of demand that I continue to drive the current car until it fails.
Old 3/17/13, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly wanted the 17" tires and wheels that come without the PP. I do love the PP car, other than that. I am also, unfortunately, going through a divorce and am only able to purchase a car because my current one has over 170,000 miles and is becoming a concern, since I have to drive 100 miles each day. I chose a car that I wanted, at a price I felt I could live with. As it is my Mustang is going to cost pretty much the same as my wifes current car. I could not have spent the extra 2K and felt good about it, especially since she was amicable enough to support this purchase instead of demand that I continue to drive the current car until it fails.
I felt the same way about the 17" vs 19" wheels, Grabber, but I really wanted the 3.31 gears and suspension improvements, so I sucked it up and ordered the Perf. Pkg. any way and swapped out the wheels/tires as soon as I picked the car up. Now I've got a set of 19" wheels, tires, locks, etc for sale. The summer-only Pirelli P Zero tires were of no use to me in Indiana winter weather anyway. The 17" wheels, all-season radials, 3.31 gears and performance suspension suit me to a T.
Old 3/18/13, 07:42 AM

Well, thanks for looking just the same! I knew it was going to be close. Its great to have you on here looking into things like this for us. I consider that my car is already built to ge great news also! I will just run the car as is for a while, then decide how far I want to go with the gears.
You’re very welcome!

Deysha