Sponsored By:

latecomer to the "tick" club

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/13, 11:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
latecomer to the "tick" club

Hi all,
you're all prob sick of this subj. but i thought i would share...

well long story short...i bought a used 11 gt vert this past june to replace my 07 that was destroyed by sandy. it had just under 20k on it...fell in love with it of course especially after living through the nightmare of sandy...anyway car ran great, no abnormal noises. i had the oil changed (to syn) soon after i got it. then the tick started (but i dont think it was immediate ) it has the "morse code" random tick/pop at idle, and has a terrible rattle while accelerating...i changed the oil again last wk (royal purple)thinking it might help (23.5k) but it hasnt. of couse now reading many threads about this i see its a common prob. though it seems (from what ive read) that most were getting it much earlier, like after the first oil change and with very low miles...makes me wonder....seems that this may develope to any engine at any time....
i have an appt at a dealer tomorrow...we'll see what happens...
has anybody had to pay for the tsb's, and if so how much is this gonna run me? such a shame i really love this car as im sure you all do, im sick over this
Old 10/31/13, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by luzstang
Hi all, you're all prob sick of this subj. but i thought i would share... well long story short...i bought a used 11 gt vert this past june to replace my 07 that was destroyed by sandy. it had just under 20k on it...fell in love with it of course especially after living through the nightmare of sandy...anyway car ran great, no abnormal noises. i had the oil changed (to syn) soon after i got it. then the tick started (but i dont think it was immediate ) it has the "morse code" random tick/pop at idle, and has a terrible rattle while accelerating...i changed the oil again last wk (royal purple)thinking it might help (23.5k) but it hasnt. of couse now reading many threads about this i see its a common prob. though it seems (from what ive read) that most were getting it much earlier, like after the first oil change and with very low miles...makes me wonder....seems that this may develope to any engine at any time.... i have an appt at a dealer tomorrow...we'll see what happens... has anybody had to pay for the tsb's, and if so how much is this gonna run me? such a shame i really love this car as im sure you all do, im sick over this
I had a similar intermittent popping at idle and they ended up replacing the AC tensioner and belt assembly under warranty. Didn't cost me a dime. And tht noise is gone. My engine still makes what seems like too much noise to me but I'm told its normal.
Old 10/31/13, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I came to the conclusion it's just a noisy engine., it loves to be revved. Beat the hell outta it enjoy and don't look back.
Old 10/31/13, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm on the same boat. This was a 2nd oil change (last Saturday), Full Synthetic on both occasions. I did not notice any ticking until this one though.

The dealer is telling me its the frame body? thats holding the engine (I forgot what its called) - the one single bolted with yellowish foam thingy at bottom possibly loose - that the noise is external.

I had some fun recording the noise and sending a video clip to my advisor, apparently its best heard when I park in the garage with relatively less outside noise.

Once set up an appointment with technician, I'll need to bring in again to duplicate the issue. My concern is simply this: The noise was not there before. How can as simple as an oil change has anything to do with ticking? and... why??? I just don't get it.
Old 10/31/13, 02:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
First opportunity, bring it to the dealership and have it checked out/documented before your powertrain warranty expires.

Mine has...er had the tick as well. It seems to have cured itself.
Old 10/31/13, 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Mine did this after the first oil change.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb12-08-14.pdf (839.7 KB, 303 views)
Old 11/1/13, 12:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Mine has...er had the tick as well. It seems to have cured itself.
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Mine did this after the first oil change.
The noise goes away after certain period of time? but for how long did it last? Some sort of learning curve or break-in required on these cars to adapt new oils? This is not making any sense, at all.
Old 11/1/13, 06:16 AM
V6 Member

thanks for the replies/info, dropped her off at the dealer this morning....we'll see what they say
Old 11/1/13, 12:25 PM

My 2014 3.7 has also developed a slight knock, as well as the "normal" taps and tics
now at 5k miles. But I am not too concerned when I take into consideration what is
going on in the valve train area of both the Cyclone and the Coyote engines.
I am amazed that Ford is able to get them as quite as they do. they have 4 camshafts
whirling around pressing open 24 or 32 valves driven by chains and sprockets!
Ford also says they use "Nylon 6 noise-abating cam covers".....I think that statement
is self explanatory.
In summery there is a lot of stuff to go wrong, but to be a little noisier has come with
the engine design. It's the small price we have to pay to get a naturally aspirated
engine to perform so well. As someone has stated " get a louder exhaust" LOL
Old 11/1/13, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jtb3
My 2014 3.7 has also developed a slight knock, as well as the "normal" taps and tics
now at 5k miles. But I am not too concerned when I take into consideration what is
going on in the valve train area of both the Cyclone and the Coyote engines.
I am amazed that Ford is able to get them as quite as they do. they have 4 camshafts
whirling around pressing open 24 or 32 valves driven by chains and sprockets!
Ford also says they use "Nylon 6 noise-abating cam covers".....I think that statement
is self explanatory.
In summery there is a lot of stuff to go wrong, but to be a little noisier has come with
the engine design. It's the small price we have to pay to get a naturally aspirated
engine to perform so well. As someone has stated " get a louder exhaust" LOL
Unless that tick happens to be because of undue stress on the crank from the AC belt like it is in some people's case, then getting a louder exhaust will just mask the issue till your engine ****s the bed.
Old 11/1/13, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Unless that tick happens to be because of undue stress on the crank from the AC belt like it is in some people's case, then getting a louder exhaust will just mask the issue till your engine ****s the bed.
10-4 on that!....but maybe instead of a louder exhaust , your quote from
Mario Andretti might be more appropriate......" If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." LOL
Old 11/1/13, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
The noise goes away after certain period of time? but for how long did it last? Some sort of learning curve or break-in required on these cars to adapt new oils? This is not making any sense, at all.
I had the stretchy belt and the compressor replaced and the noise went away. My engine didn't tick it sounded like it was about to throw a rod through the block. The TSB came out 9 months after my repair.

Last edited by TheReaper; 11/1/13 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11/1/13, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper

I had the stretchy belt and the compressor replaced and the noise went away. My engine didn't tick it sounded like it was about to throw a rod through the block. The TSB came out 9 months after my repair.
Thanks for the input, it's truly a mystery how the ticking noise got triggered AFTER AN OIL CHANGE and why such are related. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have gotten an oil change or these cars don't need an oil change because they seem to be rejecting it. I mean, who would want to change oil if you're bound to get ticking afterwords?
Old 11/1/13, 09:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the input, it's truly a mystery how the ticking noise got triggered AFTER AN OIL CHANGE and why such are related. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have gotten an oil change or these cars don't need an oil change because they seem to be rejecting it. I mean, who would want to change oil if you're bound to get ticking afterwords?
Hmm I think I'll take an engine tick after and oil change, which prompts you to get it fixed, instead of having no symptom till your block and scored.
Old 11/3/13, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks for the replies/info, dropped her off at the dealer this morning....we'll see what they say
Any updates on this?

The tick must have something to do with kind of oil that was put in during oil change. It couldn't have been mechanical failure like others have mentioned (tensioner, belts, a/c related, tranny, pistons...or whatever).

The Oil Grade. Viscosity. 5W-20/30. Sound familiar? Not really, not to me anyways. All I know is that I chose FULL Synthetic over Synthetic Blend (Half Synthetic?) and...

I have absolutely no freaking idea WHAT GRADE or WHAT KIND OF FULL SYNTHETIC that was put into my car!!! - I am going to ask them.

It seems this term 'Viscosity' has a lot to do with temperature. Guess what. It was not just a ticking I noticed when I thought something was different. There was a heat - inside the cabin - hotter than usual.

This oil may have been thicker than suitable. Not sure if this is a correct statement. I'm going to find out.
Old 11/4/13, 06:53 AM
V6 Member

got a call from ford (not the dealer) on fri after i dropped the car off, she said they were sending a tech to the dealership today, and i should hear something no later than wed...

i did read that early on when this first started coming up some dealers where adding some type of oil additive (xl17?) and it worked in some cases, makes you wonder if this was in the engine from the beginning and when you changed out the oil it gets rid of that additive and then the noise appears....who knows
Old 11/4/13, 09:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

would love to see what this turns out to be. If it isn't from the ac tensioner then it is probably just valve clatter. Getting scared over what oil was used is silly, if it is 5w20 and full synthetic then you should have no issues. It also is silly so many people post up asking about something everyone has talked about expecting different results, just get it looked at. This is just like using WebMD instead of seeing a doctor if you think something is wrong.
Old 11/7/13, 01:13 PM
V6 Member

got the car back today, seems quieter but it was raining and the dealer is only a half mile or so away from my job (busy city street) so cant really tell yet...i'll see when i go home and get on a hwy....they did a tsb 11-7-4, which involved a computer re-flash...also said that 2 of the plugs were loose, they checked and re-torqued all the plugs...
Old 11/8/13, 09:06 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm on the same boat. This was a 2nd oil change (last Saturday), Full Synthetic on both occasions. I did not notice any ticking until this one though.
The dealer is telling me its the frame body? thats holding the engine (I forgot what its called) - the one single bolted with yellowish foam thingy at bottom possibly loose - that the noise is external.
Hi PonyMuscletang13,

I’d like to get this escalated for you as well. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can forward it to the customer service for your area.

got the car back today, seems quieter but it was raining and the dealer is only a half mile or so away from my job (busy city street) so cant really tell yet...i'll see when i go home and get on a hwy....they did a tsb 11-7-4, which involved a computer re-flash...also said that 2 of the plugs were loose, they checked and re-torqued all the plugs...
Thank you for the update, luzstang.

Deysha
Old 11/8/13, 10:32 AM
V6 Member

well, its still doing it, i heard it right away on the way home and when i pulled into the garage it was ticking away....dont know how they could miss it and tell me it was fixed and had no more noise....brought it back this morning and made sure they heard it before i left it...

on the plus side, the updated computer flash has noticeably improved the performance of the car

Quick Reply: latecomer to the "tick" club