Note: Your vehicle’s keys were
issued with a security label that
provides important vehicle key cut
information. Keep the label in a safe
place for future reference

how do i get this information there is only one label and the ink is worn off
Old 11/6/13 | 05:13 AM
Cobra Member

Might be able to take the key to a Ford dealership, or a locksmith. They should be able to "read" the key. This is the case if you only have one key, and need to make a copy, and have it programmed to your vehicles "PATS" system (passive anti theft system). My Ford F150 only came with one key (bought it used), but the dealership did provide me with a second key for free.
Old 11/6/13 | 09:22 AM

Frankly, I rather doubt the label is that important. A competent locksmith has the devices to pretty much program any key. When I bought my 2000 Honda Accord as my daily driver, it only had one key. The manual says you have to have that label also, but a locksmith was able to cut me another key and program it no problem.

That being said, on my 2013 5.0 Premium, I do take good care of both OEM keys with labels since I can control that. As well as all the factory manuals. Whoever ends up buying my car the day I sell it is a lucky fellow . . . At least my Accord miraculously had the factory manual, if nothing else.

Last edited by Clevor; 11/6/13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11/6/13 | 10:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Clevor
Frankly, I rather doubt the label is that important. A competent locksmith has the devices to pretty much program any key. When I bought my 2000 Honda Accord as my daily driver, it only had one key. The manual says you have to have that label also, but a locksmith was able to cut me another key and program it no problem.

That being said, on my 2013 5.0 Premium, I do take good care of both OEM keys with labels since I can control that. As well as all the factory manuals. Whoever ends up buying my car the day I sell it is a lucky fellow . . . At least my Accord miraculously had the factory manual, if nothing else.
Yet another to add to my list of potential 5.0's I will eventually buy as my next Mustang.

I too have the manuals, both owners and factory repair manuals. I do this with every auto I buy. I also have the sales literature, the total sales and counts for the 2011 year, broken down to color, options, etc. I have every receipt for work/mods done, dealer or myself, plus a spreadsheet with dates, cost, receipt numbers, and mileage when the maintenance was performed.

My wife thinks I'm OCD, but when I sell the car, she realizes it all helps.

Last edited by Bucko; 11/6/13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11/6/13 | 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Yet another to add to my list of potential 5.0's I will eventually buy as my next Mustang. I too have the manuals, both owners and factory repair manuals. I do this with every auto I buy. I also have the sales literature, the total sales and counts for the 2011 year, broken down to color, options, etc. I have every receipt for work/mods done, dealer or myself, plus a spreadsheet with dates, cost, receipt numbers, and mileage when the maintenance was performed. My wife thinks I'm OCD, but when I sell the car, she realizes it all helps.
Lol, I do the same. I also take pictures of the work I do and keep an album. You can tell you wife there are crazier people out there. It does make a huge difference when you sell the car.
Old 11/6/13 | 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Yet another to add to my list of potential 5.0's I will eventually buy as my next Mustang.

I too have the manuals, both owners and factory repair manuals. I do this with every auto I buy. I also have the sales literature, the total sales and counts for the 2011 year, broken down to color, options, etc. I have every receipt for work/mods done, dealer or myself, plus a spreadsheet with dates, cost, receipt numbers, and mileage when the maintenance was performed.

My wife thinks I'm OCD, but when I sell the car, she realizes it all helps.
I actually kept the window sticker too, heh . It's a GT Premium with Track Pack and leather Recaros so it's nice to have the proof . . .