Sponsored By:

Just Wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/10, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob89-94-11?
Sorry about your car, She was a beaut.

But remember lawyers read forums too. Don't make any admissions or describe the accident or say its your fault.
I don't think a blind man could come to the conclusion that it was my fault. Best thing is that a cop was present before/during the accident and his cruiser caught the accident on tape. It clearly shows the other person turning in front of me. His car was hit on the front passenger side, I didn't have time to even say "Oh Sh" before the collision let alone react in any way to prevent the accident. Also my right hand must have punched the center console since I had my hand on the shifter at the time and my knuckles are a little bruised. One question I have to ask to any one who has ever been in an accident and had their car totaled, if my insurance offers less than what I owe on the car(which is most of the loan amount since I could only make one payment) would the other driver(person at fault) be responsible on covering the difference or is it my loss both physical and financial?

Last edited by lp9820; 5/19/10 at 09:25 PM.
Old 5/19/10, 09:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
I've heard, if the air bags go off there is a very good chance the insurance company will total the car. Not all the time but most of the time.

Did the air bag on the steering wheel hurt your wrist or anything when it went off? This is one of my 'fears' i have. I've heard and read so many stories about the steering wheel air bag 'breaking' the drivers wrist.
My dad is a retired cop. I used to drive with my left hand at 12 o'clock and right hand on the shifter (how he drove too). One night he brought home accident pics of a guy who hit someone head on, driving like this. His arm was wrapped around the headrest, his wrist snapped like a twig. Doubt he'd use his arm again. Needless to say I've since moved my left hand to 8 or 9 o'clock and told all my friends too. That's the position where you have the most control anyways...
Old 5/19/10, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You can get more from the insurance for pain and suffering. Make sure you make a STINK about it and hire an attorney. If they don't give you at least $30k for a new car, I'd keep pushing for more.
Old 5/19/10, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
well if you can get a 5.0 are you gonna get the same options as the '10 or go with something different?
If I get an 11 I may go v6 premium as it would be more practical for my driving but other wise I'd go Grabber blue, auto, electronics pack, and an appearance package of some sort, but my mind is on getting checked by the doctor then talking to my insurance agent.
Originally Posted by David Young
I've heard, if the air bags go off there is a very good chance the insurance company will total the car. Not all the time but most of the time.

Did the air bag on the steering wheel hurt your wrist or anything when it went off? This is one of my 'fears' i have. I've heard and read so many stories about the steering wheel air bag 'breaking' the drivers wrist.
Not sure about if the air bags will help with having the car totaled but if it does, it does. As far as it hurting my wrist, no I don't think it did any thing to my wrist but it did knock my glasses off of my, I always worried about taking an air bag to the face with my glasses on but no worries now. Honestly any thing before seeing the white of the car in front of my hood and after seeing a fog of powder and the crumpled hood is a blank.
Old 5/19/10, 09:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's another thing. I don't wear anything but Oakleys while I drive. I used to sell sunglasses. Trust me, you don't want to be wearing some Maui Jims or Ray Bans with glass lenses when an airbag goes off in your face!
Old 5/20/10, 12:24 AM
Cobra R Member

glad your ok....

good your going to doctor...you might want to give it a couple weeks before settling with insurance...i was rear ended years ago,and was ok...then a couple weeks latter my neck started hurting as all getup...took a few months to fully recover....
Old 5/20/10, 01:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by laserred38
That's another thing. I don't wear anything but Oakleys while I drive. I used to sell sunglasses. Trust me, you don't want to be wearing some Maui Jims or Ray Bans with glass lenses when an airbag goes off in your face!
Good point. I'm guessing that's why most cops/firefighters/EMTs around here seem to wear Oakleys, besides the cool factor. But I suppose even plastic lenses could jack up your eyes with the force of an airbag. The ideal would be windshield glass whose tint adjusts to light conditions so shades aren't needed behind the wheel.
Old 5/20/10, 02:38 AM
GT Member

Glad you are OK. Cars can be replaced, people can't.
Old 5/20/10, 03:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad you are ok, too bad about the car. I've been with State Farm for 23+ years, and have been very happy with their service, even when involved in an accident with another State Farm insured person (their fault). Your individual agent may give you a little hassle, but stick to your guns, and hopefully you have a good enough SF agent that will stick up for you. Good luck getting all the insurance issues resolved.
Old 5/20/10, 05:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lp9820
One question I have to ask to any one who has ever been in an accident and had their car totaled, if my insurance offers less than what I owe on the car(which is most of the loan amount since I could only make one payment) would the other driver(person at fault) be responsible on covering the difference or is it my loss both physical and financial?
as far as the car being totalled.. it doesnt look it.

my 95 got spun in a snow storm , in march of 96, took out the front end completely ripped off, fender, and driver side 1/4panel, 3 rims rear bumper and driver side exhaust , steering rack snapped tierods.. back then 14000 in repairs, the car wasnt totaled. this was 6 months after i bought her. i doubt you have that much damage on yours, but its up to the repair shop.

glad everyone is ok..

remember the car is just a piece of metal that can be replaced.. you cannot

Last edited by pony racer; 5/20/10 at 05:56 AM.
Old 5/20/10, 06:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Good to see you're OK. Hope everything works out in your favor.
Old 5/20/10, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Happy that you are OK. So sorry about the Stang. The Kona blue is beautiful. Hope you can get her replaced with another, or even better. Don't get V-6, get a GT!

Do not know about State Farm, as we use USAA, and we have been quite happy with them.
Old 5/20/10, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pony racer
as far as the car being totalled.. it doesnt look it.
State Farm paid something close to $4,000 to put an engine in my wife's '03 Escape in 2007 at 100,000 miles (flood). I REALLY thought they'd junk it.
Old 5/20/10, 07:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

IOne question I have to ask to any one who has ever been in an accident and had their car totaled, if my insurance offers less than what I owe on the car(which is most of the loan amount since I could only make one payment) would the other driver(person at fault) be responsible on covering the difference or is it my loss both physical and financial?
If it is totaled they determine the value of the car and give you that. If it is not enough to cover the loan, you will have to go after the insurance company to increase the value or you are stuck with the difference.

This is why you can get 'gap insurance' from your insurance company or from the bank offering the the loan. I think I pay $6 per month more to GMAC for this coverage. If insurance doesn't cover the total value owed, gap insurance kicks in and takes care of it.

I don't think the other person would be liable since it is not their fault you are upside down on your loan.

My mother had her car totaled a few years back and without gap insurance she would have been out about $5k on her car.
Old 5/20/10, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
Good point. I'm guessing that's why most cops/firefighters/EMTs around here seem to wear Oakleys, besides the cool factor. But I suppose even plastic lenses could jack up your eyes with the force of an airbag. The ideal would be windshield glass whose tint adjusts to light conditions so shades aren't needed behind the wheel.
Oakley gives many PD/FD/EMT/Military discounts because they have such rigorous testing on their stuff (and they also do an airbag test). There's a lot of technology in Oakley sunglasses, which is how they get away with charging so much. Unfortunately their markup is ridiculous. And since they sold out to Luxottica I probably won't buy another pair.
Old 5/20/10, 09:20 AM
GT Member

****. I'm really, really sorry to see the damage to the car, but I'm delighted that you seem to be okay thus far. Hang in there, man. And at the first sign of physical discomfort, get thee to a doctor! Best if you have one that isn't leery of chiropractic. Chiropractic is a godsend to traffic injuries such as whiplash.
Old 5/20/10, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
Side note: All forms of Gov't Employees have a discount program through Oakley, it's the same as the military's. That's how I got mine, plus the shotgun pellet demonstrations are cool. The lenses are killer, there is good reason they are military issue for combat regions.

Now, terribly sorry to hear about the car. Glad you are alright. I was in a few accdents as a kid and if everything is ergonomically proper, you should be in good shape. I can see how you might not be and it's always a good idea to get checked out thoroughly. I was hit by a roadside bomb and was strewn all across the inside of an ASV six ways from Sunday. Walked away bleeding but no real damage, very minimal head trauma. So with that, I say keep in good health, stay positive and visit as many doctors as you need.
Old 5/20/10, 12:03 PM
GT Member

Sorry to hear and see that but glad you were not injured.
Old 5/20/10, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Well got back from the doctor, he said nothing major just sore muscles and he gave me some muscle relaxers. I am a little worried though as my neck started to hurt when I was in the waiting room and is still bothering me now, the doctor knows about my neck and told me to come back after a week if my neck is still hurting, I hope I don't walk away from this with any long term problems.
Old 5/21/10, 03:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well got back from the doctor, he said nothing major just sore muscles and he gave me some muscle relaxers. I am a little worried though as my neck started to hurt when I was in the waiting room and is still bothering me now, the doctor knows about my neck and told me to come back after a week if my neck is still hurting, I hope I don't walk away from this with any long term problems.
Glad your doc said there is nothing major wrong with you. Definitely follow up with him if you are still hurting next week. If he doesn't mention it, you might want to ask about physical therapy. It helped with my neck pain after I was rear-ended several years ago in my '06.

Last edited by IWantMyNewGT; 5/21/10 at 03:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Just Wrecked