Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just test drove GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/10, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
LOL, Bull you seem very satisfied and that's really all that counts.

But you better not puss out on that money you saved, i wanna see a supercharger on that bad boy soon.

Oh im going all out!
Old 5/26/10, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mach1fever
Not really,

My mach 1 was the same way.

Roger
It had good low end torque?

I really wouldn't know i have never driven a 4.6 s197.
Old 5/26/10, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MARZ
I'm sorry, but I don't get the whole, "it has no low end" mantra that seems to have permeated a lot of posts lately. I test drove a 2011 GT with, I believe, 3.31 gears a week or so ago and, coming from a 2007 4.6L 3V Mustang GT, this thing makes all sorts of power all throughout its RPM range, not just up high like European V8's (and the 3V 4.6L). Now, if you're used to driving LS1-equipped Camaros or Corvettes then, yes, I can see where you're coming from; otherwise...
I do not get it either. But the LS1's have very little low end grunt. It was the LT1s that were the torque monsters. But once you made them as fast as LS1s the torque went away somewhat. LS3s are a little more torquey but they too are top end focused. The Vette seems torquier due to the lower weight.

Get the Vette OP if you want, no harm. They are very fast. But as a car they are not all that useful. Great weekend toy though.
Old 5/26/10, 09:07 PM
Banned

It had good low end torque?

I really wouldn't know i have never driven a 4.6 s197.

Car was a BEAST!

And it was underated from Ford----PLUS no electronic throttle----tht bad boy had the old fashioned (feel it the second i punch it) cable!

I had a nice one too----screaming yellow left it bone stock---had it 3 years and sold it with only 12K miles on the odo----

That car not only had low end torque, but it SCREAMED at high rpms! (redlined at 7K) I think it was actually 6250

CAR-WAS-A-BEAST

PLUS that shaker hood was one bad *** ***** to look at from ALL angles-----ESPECIALLY the drivers seat

I did same thing back in aug of 04------basically got the mach1 for free due to fact that everybody was hell beant on the 05's dropping

Last edited by silverbull271; 5/26/10 at 09:32 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fraxum
I do not get it either. But the LS1's have very little low end grunt. It was the LT1s that were the torque monsters. But once you made them as fast as LS1s the torque went away somewhat. LS3s are a little more torquey but they too are top end focused. The Vette seems torquier due to the lower weight.

Get the Vette OP if you want, no harm. They are very fast. But as a car they are not all that useful. Great weekend toy though.

IDK how this thread got mixed up with a LS engine-----i was contemplating on a vette weeks ago, maybe thats how????---
Old 5/26/10, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by silverbull271
IDK how this thread got mixed up with a LS engine-----i was contemplating on a vette weeks ago, maybe thats how????---
Oops I see you bought a loaded GT vert. Nice car. Enjoy it.

It sure feels good to make a smart purchase where you save so much dough. You do not need to add FI to enjoy that car, you have FA (forced air) with the top down. Post those pics!
Old 5/26/10, 09:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny bc i had a oldsmobile 442.....so i TOTALLY feel you------

Was actually my first car-----think it was a 1969 442---i was 15yo, uncle gave it to me, with a f*** up crank shaft----
hahaha - '69 442 was my first car too. In '75. 400" 4bl 3spd Hurst but it had been thrashed before I got it. Spun a bearing 6 mos later.
Supposed to be having a great time my 1st year of college but instead I was learning to rebuild an American V8 - in a carport in Missouri. Brrr.
But it was a blast of power for 6 mos!

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/26/10 at 10:30 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure what LS1's you have been driving but my 01 SS would drop ricer fly by's into the rear view mirror all the time without even downshifting.

I could pass people on the freeway in 6th with no problem (that's going from about 1600rpm to maybe 2100 in a gear lower than the current 5.0 with 3.31's)

Driving around town i never went above 2500 rpm and averaged 19.5 mpg.

With my new 5.0 i can't get over 16.5 cause i am constantly 1000+rpms over what i would be normally driving in the 01 SS.

I never felt the need to go over 4 grand in the camaro to get a random seat of the pants feel, i only went over 4 grand when racing.

I find myself hitting 5 grand sometimes just trying to get a taste of acceleration with the 5.0, no doubt it's climbing the speedo faster but it isn't by much.

Last edited by Bigjohns97; 5/26/10 at 09:19 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Um the OP bought a very nice loaded vert ..... so grats on that purchase. I have to admit as well that the 5.0 was quiet. It had a refine grumble for sure, but was quiet. I think its the cabin. Lots of refinement there.

Silver, A Saleen SS is a great blower, and you can probably find a ton of deals on them. TVS is nice as well. That's from whipple. I run a supershaker and I love it. You did the right thing imo. If you can get a hell of a deal on a 2010 the roll on it. You can always upgrade. 5.0's are great cars but you have to buy for what you are looking for. In the end, that's all what matters.
Old 5/26/10, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco
hahaha - '69 442 was my first car too. In '75. 400" 4bl 3spd but it had been thrashed before I got it. Spun a bearing 6 mos later.
Supposed to be having a great time my 1st year of college but instead I was learning to rebuild an American V8 - in a carport in Missouri. Brrr.
But it was a blast of power for 6 mos!
My car was a shame---had a BRAND new cherry red paint job, and MINT interior....my uncle owned a auto body shop, and car was in a colllison, he fixed it all up, and the owner walked away from it and stiffed him out of the bill bc of the crankshaft----

So my uncle kept it, and gave it to me as my first car-----never got that suka running and wound up selling it to a scrapyard in Brooklyn and wound up buying a 95 Mustang GT----was nice car----had rare color too----was a forest green, man did i ****** up some ladies in high school with that car

Last edited by silverbull271; 5/26/10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ninjak
Um the OP bought a very nice loaded vert ..... so grats on that purchase. I have to admit as well that the 5.0 was quiet. It had a refine grumble for sure, but was quiet. I think its the cabin. Lots of refinement there.

Silver, A Saleen SS is a great blower, and you can probably find a ton of deals on them. TVS is nice as well. That's from whipple. I run a supershaker and I love it. You did the right thing imo. If you can get a hell of a deal on a 2010 the roll on it. You can always upgrade. 5.0's are great cars but you have to buy for what you are looking for. In the end, that's all what matters.

Old 5/26/10, 09:30 PM

I'm not sure what LS1's you have been driving but my 01 SS would drop ricer fly by's into the rear view mirror all the time without even downshifting.
Mine was a '98 Z28 M6. I was not saying that LS1s are not fast. But compared to the LT1s I have owned there was less torque down low. Add FI if you want speed and torque everywhere. Or a 572 BB.

Except for FI Supras (stay away from those) most small displacement cars cannot compare. But you cannot say all, since there are a number of 10 second STIs and Evos. They will own a bolt-on LS1, but still no torque.

However back to the thread, I think the OP made a smart buy.
Old 5/26/10, 09:34 PM
Banned

Mine was a '98 Z28 M6. I was not saying that LS1s are not fast. But compared to the LT1s I have owned there was less torque down low. Add FI if you want speed and torque everywhere. Or a 572 BB.

Except for FI Supras (stay away from those) most small displacement cars cannot compare. But you cannot say all, since there are a number of 10 second STIs and Evos. They will own a bolt-on LS1, but still no torque.

However back to the thread, I think the OP made a smart buy.

Thanks my man
Old 5/26/10, 09:39 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Yeah, you definitely have a whole bunch of FI options for your 3V 4.6L! I personally think the Ford Racing / Whipple kit is the way to go since Ford's own engineers did all of the "cal" programming. I mean, these kits had to endure almost the same torture tests as new engines do during their validation testing phase! Saleen also has a great supercharger; their Series "VI.5" is an even more efficient design than before. Then there's the various TVS blowers which make brutal power as well!

I've said it before, but congratulations on one badass ride! I'm jealous.
Old 5/26/10, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MARZ
Yeah, you definitely have a whole bunch of FI options for your 3V 4.6L! I personally think the Ford Racing / Whipple kit is the way to go since Ford's own engineers did all of the "cal" programming. I mean, these kits had to endure almost the same torture tests as new engines do during their validation testing phase! Saleen also has a great supercharger; their Series "VI.5" is an even more efficient design than before. Then there's the various TVS blowers which make brutal power as well!

I've said it before, but congratulations on one badass ride! I'm jealous.

Ill post some nice high res pics tmo late afternoon after i detail it out-----
Old 5/26/10, 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Car was a BEAST!

And it was underated from Ford----PLUS no electronic throttle----tht bad boy had the old fashioned (feel it the second i punch it) cable!

I had a nice one too----screaming yellow left it bone stock---had it 3 years and sold it with only 12K miles on the odo----

That car not only had low end torque, but it SCREAMED at high rpms! (redlined at 7K) I think it was actually 6250

CAR-WAS-A-BEAST

PLUS that shaker hood was one bad *** ***** to look at from ALL angles-----ESPECIALLY the drivers seat

I did same thing back in aug of 04------basically got the mach1 for free due to fact that everybody was hell beant on the 05's dropping

doesnt the new 5.0 make more low end torque than a mach1? id like to see dynos, but i bet it does, by quite a bit
Old 5/26/10, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on your new 2010 vert,nice car and a steal with the big discounts + rebates.
I was going to start a thread titled what to expect from the 2011 5.0.I'll just get in on this once because It's kind of what I need to know.

I was such a hardcore 5.0 mustang guy that I refused to buy a 4.6 after ford made the change in 96.
I felt like Ford was going backwards with Chevy already having the advantage with the 350 vs 302 Mustangs.I sold my 91 5.0 notch and got a 89 GT and built a 347 N/A 10:5:1 street monster.I had fun with my fox Mustangs and was excited to see the 5.0 return.

I know this is a totally different motor but I'm use to the TQ of the larger displacement motors.I test drove a 2010 GT W/trackpack last month when I ordered my 2011 GT and was impressed with the power.It was stout but did not pull like my 347 and that was expected.I use to drive my brothers 93 vette with LS1 motor and that was one of the fastest cars bone stock I've driven.

If this new 2011 5.0 will beat a stock C4 I will be very happy.I keep hearing people talking about beating camaros and even Z06 corvettes without a blower or power adder.I just dont think this will happen without some bolt on's and/or power adder.I dont put much into bench racing and the rags numbers,I go by what I experience at the track and on the street.

I dont plan to modd my car beyond exhaust and if I get the urge to have a 10sec daily driver I'll just build another fox 5.0.I know I've seen the 10 sec 2011's but I dont plan on spraying my new car or supercharging a 11:1 motor.Sorry for the long azz post

Last edited by zilla8; 5/26/10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 09:54 PM
GT Member

congrats on the buy silverbull, i've debated a similar issue, if i can get a 2010 for a GREAT deal i'd have to be stupid to not buy it and just get a supercharger.

only thing is i'm stubborn and want a car with the options i want, not less not more. so that's why a 2010 is out of the picture for me cuz there aren't any that i want.

now it really makes me double think 3.55's for the 5.0 and just keep it at 3.31
Old 5/26/10, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice choice and sounds like you got a hell of the deal! Check out the M90 Roushcharger as well, you'll keep your warranty. I'm eyeing one myself.
Old 5/26/10, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zilla8
Congrats on your new 2010 vert,nice car and a steal with the big discounts + rebates.
I was going to start a thread titled what to expect from the 2011 5.0.I'll just get in on this once because It's kind of what I need to know.

I was such a hardcore 5.0 mustang guy that I refused to buy a 4.6 after ford made the change in 96.
I felt like Ford was going backwards with Chevy already having the advantage with the 350 vs 302 Mustangs.I sold my 91 5.0 notch and got a 89 GT and built a 347 N/A 10:5:1 street monster.I had fun with my fox Mustangs and was excited to see the 5.0 return.

I know this is a totally different motor but I'm use to the TQ of the larger displacement motors.I test drove a 2010 GT W/trackpack last month when I ordered my 2011 GT and was impressed with the power.It was stout but did not pull like my 347 and that was expected.I use to drive my brothers 93 vette with LS1 motor and that was one of the fastest cars bone stock I've driven.

If this new 2011 5.0 will beat a stock C4 I will be very happy.I keep hearing people talking about beating camaros and even Z06 corvettes without a blower or power adder.I just dont think this will happen without some bolt on's and/or power adder.I dont put much into bench racing and the rags numbers,I go by what I experience at the track and on the street.

I dont plan to modd my car beyond exhaust and if I get the urge to have a 10sec daily driver I'll just build another fox 5.0.I know I've seen the 10 sec 2011's but I dont plan on spraying my new car or supercharging a 11:1 motor.
1 thing I can tell you for sure-----NOW WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH CAN THE 5.O EVEN MATCH A Z06!

I test drove a 2007 about 2 weeks ago (505HP NA engine)-----that car is a sick sick animal!

I hit 70 mph redlined in 1st gear....punch it in second to 5K RPM and you migh suffer whiplash-----

Lets not forget the power to weight ratio either

Quick Reply: Just test drove GT