Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just test drove GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/10, 05:06 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iBookmaster
Silverbull, I would say that the cabin of the new 2011 is so comfortable and quiet, the power is fooling you.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. During my test drive, I was often unaware at the speeds these 5.0's get to -- very quickly, too -- until I looked down at the speedometer. The interior's overwhelming sense of refinement and sophistication numb the feeling of speed and power, IMO.
Old 5/26/10, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lancel
+1. Walk softly and carry a big engine. I prefer the quiet.

Also, remember Silverbull, the GT has some pretty strong sound deadening on the interior. Outside it may sound significantly more like what you'd expect.
Seriously. Even with my exhaust it's quiet inside. Outside is completely different. The sound insulation is very good on these cars. When I first got my exhaust on I was disappointed it wasn't louder, but I had only experienced it from the inside, it wasn't until I stood behind and had a friend rev it that I realized what how loud it was outside.

People need to realize it's the year 2011. Cars are quieter inside now. Drive on chewed up Michigan roads like I did for 10+ years and tell me if you want to hear the pat pat pat pat sound as you drive down a concrete freeway so you can hear the exhaust louder. I drive on smooth Florida roads now but still... I have a 99 GT in England with full exhaust, yes it's louder inside but you hear every single bit of noise from the road and every bump. The first week I got my car I drove from Detroit to Naples, 1,450 miles, in 20 hours of nonstop driving because of satelite radio, smooth drive, comfortable seats, and quiet cabin. After the drive I had a new found respect for what Ford did with the 2010+. I always thought Ford just slapped GT on it for having a V8, but it really is a fantastic Grand Tourer. It's not just a muscle car anymore.

Last edited by Stangpilot007; 5/26/10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Found a Vid of my 95..

at the time was supercharged and running 3.55s// second gear burnout..

taken at night in 2001 or 2002 with a digital camera..

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=7967498

Last edited by pony racer; 5/26/10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
Not to mention the mufflers don't open up till 500 miles and I'm at 800 and it's still getting louder.

I agree about low end torque, but you are comparing it to the lsx motors which is a lil unfair.

Ford definatly took a different approach this time around going for higher revs instead of low end muscle, more so going after the bmw style of rpm range rather than american muscle rpm range.

Some have said they liked it and some have disagreed with it. To each his own.
Not really,

My mach 1 was the same way.

Roger
Old 5/26/10, 05:27 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This car is VERY decieving ... volume and SOP feel.
Its a very smooth transition from mild to wild, not a violent 'holy crap' one.

It starts off by soft little taps, and before you even realized it, you were getting punched in the face.

Loud is easy to fix...
you want to be thrown back violently, get some boost...but don't confuse this with speed.
OLD 5L were torquey as hell... didn't mean you were getting there any quicker. The new 5L breathes throughout...
Don't know exactly what you were expecting from a 12.7 second car...?

Reverse was EASY to find and use.

Last edited by Boomer; 5/26/10 at 05:30 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
I'm sorry, but I don't get the whole, "it has no low end" mantra that seems to have permeated a lot of posts lately. I test drove a 2011 GT with, I believe, 3.31 gears a week or so ago and, coming from a 2007 4.6L 3V Mustang GT, this thing makes all sorts of power all throughout its RPM range, not just up high like European V8's (and the 3V 4.6L). Now, if you're used to driving LS1-equipped Camaros or Corvettes then, yes, I can see where you're coming from; otherwise...
No, I hear you. I don't think it's that the 5.0 is a euro motor with no low end torque, it's got power down there, just not quite as much when compared to the 6.2L LS3 which is going to most probably have somewhat better low end power due to its displacement. The 5.0 will pin you back, but it'll be nicer about it.
Old 5/26/10, 06:36 PM
GT Member

The seat of the pants is the world's biggest liar.

Even so, I hope you find the car that works for you.

EDIT: PS...I thought loud was neat when I was a teenager. Now its just obnoxious on the street.

Last edited by BLKCLOUD; 5/26/10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 07:24 PM
Banned

UPDATE-------------

I have purchased a new vehicle. After 5 test drives ON MY OWN all around my town, in the new 5.0 i just cdnt justify the purchase. (Dissapointed)

Here is the way i went-----------

i Bought a 2010 Black Vert EVERY option except nav (even has remote start) Red leather (which is f***** gorgeous by the way, stitching is insane) Kudos to Ford for the craftmanship on these cars! What a diff from my 08-----

Long story short i got a 2010 black vert with sticker of 45K and got 10 K off stiker PLUS rebates!

TOO GOOD TO PASS UP!

I financed it-----thinking about putting a blower on that sucker------car is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys, but i just cdnt justify the purchase of the 5.0------my car is a DD and i scored an AMAZING deal!

GOD I LOVE MY NEW CAR!

Ill post some pix of it tmo when i wash and Zaino the crap out of it------

Good luck and healthy driving to those who have been waiting---as for me? i feel like the luckiest guy alive!

LMFAO----BEST PART......IM SAVING $700 A YEAR INSURANCE GOING FROM 08 TO 10 AND IM IN NJ !!!!!!!!! (STILL CANT FIGURE THAT OUT)

PS: LOTS OF LUCK AND HEALTH TO ALL MUSTANG DRIVERS!

Last edited by silverbull271; 5/26/10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by silverbull271
UPDATE-------------

I have purchased a new vehicle. After 5 test drives ON MY OWN all around my town, in the new 5.0 i just cdnt justify the purchase. (Dissapointed)

Here is the way i went-----------

i Bought a 2010 Black Vert EVERY option except nav (even has remote start) Red leather (which is f***** gorgeous by the way, stitching is insane) Kudos to Ford for the craftmanship on these cars! What a diff from my 08-----

Long story short i got a 2010 black vert with sticker of 45K and got 10 K off stiker PLUS rebates!

TOO GOOD TO PASS UP!

I financed it-----thinking about putting a blower on that sucker------car is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys, but i just cdnt justify the purchase of the 5.0------my car is a DD and i scored an AMAZING deal!

GOD I LOVE MY NEW CAR!

Ill post some pix of it tmo when i wash and Zaino the crap out of it------

Good luck and healthy driving to those who have been waiting---as for me? i feel like the luckiest guy alive!

LMFAO----BEST PART......IM SAVING $700 A YEAR INSURANCE GOING FROM 08 TO 10 AND IM IN NJ !!!!!!!!! (STILL CANT FIGURE THAT OUT)
Congrats, hope you enjoy the new Mustang.
Old 5/26/10, 07:30 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

The 5.0 will pin you back, but it'll be nicer about it.
Hey, I like that.
Old 5/26/10, 07:31 PM
Banned

Thanks Todd------

You have ALWAYS been a nice guy on this forum!

God Bless to you and yours!
Old 5/26/10, 07:34 PM
Cobra R Member

TOO GOOD TO PASS UP!

Congrats man! That's a pretty sweet setup, and an awesome deal. Plus I'm partial to black myself.
I was looking at superchargers too and if I were going to purchase one, the edelbrock e-force was my choice- best looking and at 470hp 440 ft lbs- nice performance too, cost is around 5k. Nice call on the 2010 tho.

Old 5/26/10, 07:35 PM
Cobra R Member

With the money you saved you can supercharge it and be faster than the 5.0. Congrats.
Old 5/26/10, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
Not to mention the mufflers don't open up till 500 miles and I'm at 800 and it's still getting louder.

I agree about low end torque, but you are comparing it to the lsx motors which is a lil unfair.

Ford definatly took a different approach this time around going for higher revs instead of low end muscle, more so going after the bmw style of rpm range rather than american muscle rpm range.

Some have said they liked it and some have disagreed with it. To each his own.

Funny you mention BMW------

As i was on way home from taking delivery of my new stang, i had a guy in a 2010 BMW X5 look at me and give me a huge smile and thumbs up !

Enjoy your 5.0 BigJohn---and PLEASE-----DRIVE SAFELY AND IN GOOD HEALTH!

Last edited by silverbull271; 5/26/10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 5/26/10, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Todd------

You have ALWAYS been a nice guy on this forum!

God Bless to you and yours!
Thanks buddy. Same to you and yours!! Looking forward to seeing pictures as I love the brick red interior!!
Old 5/26/10, 07:40 PM

No, seriously, like I was saying when you tested a dual-mode exhaust 'vette, the 5.0 isn't going to be able to approach that level of noise without an aftermarket exhaust. It's a common complaint among enthusiasts with nearly all factory exhausts, but you know the truth of the matter: More people want a quiet car than a loud one, and people who want a loud car will be the enthusiasts who go aftermarket.

Pretty much all the commentary is spot on what most everyone else has said. The 5.0 is just a different beast from the LS3 engine. Coyote gets a lot of power for its size, but the LS3 has more displacement, and that's where you get that low end torque. They kinda take different roads, and it's going to be more a question of your personal preferences (and if you're willing to go aftermarket on exhaust ).
What he said
Old 5/26/10, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's a pretty good deal. What all options did you get on it? Sounds like a pretty hefty list for a 45k sticker.

Hope you have fun with it anyway.
Old 5/26/10, 07:41 PM
Banned

Adam-----

I saved so much F-N money its not even funny!

I can put a nice blower on it-----exhaust------gears-----ENDLESS!

I cant BELIEVE the diff from 08 to the 10!!!!!!

The refinement is INSANE!

I have it all too in my car !

HID/Scoops/Shaker 1000/Red leather/remote start/ 19 inch wheels------EVERYTHING except the NAV (literally)

LOVIN IT!
Old 5/26/10, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

You dislike the low-end torque on the 2011's so you buy a 2010 with even less low-end torque?
Old 5/26/10, 07:47 PM
Banned

That's a pretty good deal. What all options did you get on it? Sounds like a pretty hefty list for a 45k sticker.

Hope you have fun with it anyway.

The sticker on the right side is literallly a page long with options!

Basically i have EVERY option available except the NAV system and thats due to the fact that i have the shaker 1000 (which is bad *** and better IMO)

I still cant get over the refinment of this car drom my 08!!!!!!!!!

The stiching on the brick leather is INSANE!

SOMETHING YOU WOULD FIND IN A EURO!

Quick Reply: Just test drove GT