Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installed the new UPR 4 chamber catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/15, 03:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
Here is what you don't want to see inside a connector. This is a picture of the fitting coming out of the exit side of my new style UPR four chamber catch can that I used to have that sat on the top of my radiator hose and was before they used some additional filtering media on the middle diffuser.

Here is how that can was mounted.

They weren't using this filtering ring yet when the first picture was taken. The ring helped prevent the liquid oil from getting past the can.
Seems to me you were getting oil out of your exit side because the can was practically sitting right on top of your radiator hose and also mounted way too close to your engine IMO..

So once you added the new filtering ring, did you keep the UPR can mounted in the same location or did you re-locate it next to the master cylinder in the fender where your Bob's can is mounted now ?

Here is a picture of my fiancee's 07GT with only 18,000 miles on it. She doesn't drive it enough.
I really love your fiancee's 07GT and If I could go back in time, I would had gone with Vista Blue as my color choice rather than Torch Red..

Just out of curiosity Wayne.. Which catch can do you prefer more over the other, your Bob's can or your new UPR can ?

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/9/15 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10/9/15, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My fiancee is a blue fanatic and all her vehicles have to be blue. She saw this one advertised on CL at a Toyota dealership in Kansas back in early 2010. It only had 6,900 miles on it.

We drove about three hours to go look at it. They had it inside the showroom waiting for us and it looked brand new. I could not find a scratch or paint chip anywhere.

When they started it up for us, it sounded awesome even though it still had the stock exhaust on it. I told her she needed to buy it. We took it for a test drive and the rest was history. She bought it for $19,200 and the sticker price new was over $29,000.

I changed out the exhaust for a Ford Racing Axle back but that is the only other mod other than the catch can.

As far as which catch can I prefer, It kind of is a toss up because I like certain things about both.

On the Bob's can I like that is has a drain valve, is bigger in size, has the filtering media in the bottom of the can and I think the machining and finish are better.

On the UPR can I like the easy on/off fittings and that it is easier to take completely apart to clean it if you want. The smaller size of the can could be a benefit if you are using it in an application where there is not much room to mount it.

I've always been happy with the Bob's can and wouldn't have bought any others after that but catch cans have kind of become an interest of mine and is why I bought the new style UPR can because the design looked very interesting and I wanted to see how well it did compared to the Bob's can.

I did forget to mention that I did a small modification to my UPR can when I first got it and that was I added a piece of the SS mesh from one of their re-designed diffusers that I showed above to the bottom of the can, kind of like how Bob's is designed.

I feel like the mesh in the bottom of the can helps keep any oil collected from bouncing back up inside the can during the normal driving of the vehicle and is one of the things that Steve at Bob's claims helps keep oil from getting to the intake.

Now that I think about it, I have never run the new UPR can without the mesh in the bottom of the can so it actually might do worse than the Bob's can.

So I guess if I had to pick just one of these, it probably would be the Bob's can.

Wayne
Old 10/9/15, 06:21 PM

My fiancee is a blue fanatic and all her vehicles have to be blue. She saw this one advertised on CL at a Toyota dealership in Kansas back in early 2010. It only had 6,900 miles on it.

We drove about three hours to go look at it. They had it inside the showroom waiting for us and it looked brand new. I could not find a scratch or paint chip anywhere.

When they started it up for us, it sounded awesome even though it still had the stock exhaust on it. I told her she needed to buy it. We took it for a test drive and the rest was history. She bought it for $19,200 and the sticker price new was over $29,000.

I changed out the exhaust for a Ford Racing Axle back but that is the only other mod other than the catch can.
Your fiancee definitely got a fantastic deal on her 07GT and was kept in such excellent condition by the original owner being as there were no scratches nor paint chips anywhere which just goes to show how well the owner took care of the car and had such low mileage as well..

As far as which catch can I prefer, It kind of is a toss up because I like certain things about both.

On the Bob's can I like that is has a drain valve, is bigger in size, has the filtering media in the bottom of the can and I think the machining and finish are better.
I feel the same way about the Bob's can as you just cannot beat the value of it's larger size and having both a SS filtering ring with SS mesh media and an actual drain valve for under $115.00.. Heck I paid $119.00 for my old JLT can which had such an inferior design compared with the Bob's can lol.

On the UPR can I like the easy on/off fittings and that it is easier to take completely apart to clean it if you want. The smaller size of the can could be a benefit if you are using it in an application where there is not much room to mount it.
I'm totally with you there as well, as that's pretty much the only complaint I have with the Bob's can is that it doesn't have a modular design like the UPR has which just like you mentioned is much easier to disassemble for cleaning out..

I've always been happy with the Bob's can and wouldn't have bought any others after that but catch cans have kind of become an interest of mine and is why I bought the new style UPR can because the design looked very interesting and I wanted to see how well it did compared to the Bob's can.

I did forget to mention that I did a small modification to my UPR can when I first got it and that was I added a piece of the SS mesh from one of their re-designed diffusers that I showed above to the bottom of the can, kind of like how Bob's is designed.

I feel like the mesh in the bottom of the can helps keep any oil collected from bouncing back up inside the can during the normal driving of the vehicle and is one of the things that Steve at Bob's claims helps keep oil from getting to the intake.
No question about it, as you can definitely tell how well UPR designed it's new 4 chamber filtering system and can just imagine how much better it would do compared with the Bob's can if only they had added SS mesh to the bottom of their can

Now that I think about it, I have never run the new UPR can without the mesh in the bottom of the can so it actually might do worse than the Bob's can.

So I guess if I had to pick just one of these, it probably would be the Bob's can.
It's really amazing just how well the Bob's can does with just a dual chamber along with it's placement of filter media and a single filter ring when compared with UPR's 4 chamber design

By the way Wayne, I mentioned in my earlier post if you had the chance to mount your UPR can next to the master cylinder in the fender location as you did with your Bob's can ? I recall that you traded in your previous UPR can that sat on the upper radiator hose in favor of the remote mounted version which mounts to the firewall..

Anyway, I'm just curious to find out how well the UPR does compared with the Bob's can in the same location

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/9/15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10/9/15, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have not mounted my UPR can where my Bob's can is currently mounted. One reason is that the UPR came with custom hoses with the fittings and one way check valve built into the hose. I would have to tear apart the current hoses to get these pieces out and I don't want to do that.

I'm sure that UPR would make me the correct length hoses to mount the can by the master cylinder but I just don't have the money at the moment to do that. I'm sure that I would get the same results mounting it there as I'm getting with the Bob's can in that location. I really don't know if I can improve on how well my Bob's can seems to be working.

Wayne
Old 10/11/15, 10:14 AM

I have not mounted my UPR can where my Bob's can is currently mounted. One reason is that the UPR came with custom hoses with the fittings and one way check valve built into the hose. I would have to tear apart the current hoses to get these pieces out and I don't want to do that.

I'm sure that UPR would make me the correct length hoses to mount the can by the master cylinder but I just don't have the money at the moment to do that. I'm sure that I would get the same results mounting it there as I'm getting with the Bob's can in that location. I really don't know if I can improve on how well my Bob's can seems to be working.

Wayne
I didn't realize these were custom length hoses therefore I wouldn't want to tear apart into them either especially knowing there's a one way built in check valve in which I also didn't know about.. As for the correct hose length goes, perhaps you could attach your Bob's hoses to your UPR can ? I was thinking it may work being as you already have the right hose length and wouldn't have to worry about tearing apart your UPR hoses either, this way you'll be able to find out for sure one way or the other if you end up getting any better results with your UPR can over the Bob's can mounted in the same location

By the way Wayne ! What is the purpose of the one way check valve for and what it's supposed to do ? As I don't have a single clue what it's designed for..

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/11/15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10/11/15, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

The UPR can uses their custom quick connect fittings to attach to the metal fittings coming out of the sides of the can. I would have to have two more of these to put in the ends of the hoses i'm using for the Bob's can to make it work. I think the Ford quick connect fittings would work as well but I don't have any extra of those either and I'm not going to try to remove the UPR fittings out of the custom hose as It looks like some kind of shrink wrap connection keeps them in there.

To be honest, I don't remember what I read about how the one way check valve works or why UPR finds it necessary to include one. I know that when I tested a RX can, it came with a one way check valve as well and I don't remember what Tracy from RX said about it.
Old 10/12/15, 12:52 AM

The UPR can uses their custom quick connect fittings to attach to the metal fittings coming out of the sides of the can. I would have to have two more of these to put in the ends of the hoses i'm using for the Bob's can to make it work. I think the Ford quick connect fittings would work as well but I don't have any extra of those either and I'm not going to try to remove the UPR fittings out of the custom hose as It looks like some kind of shrink wrap connection keeps them in there.

To be honest, I don't remember what I read about how the one way check valve works or why UPR finds it necessary to include one. I know that when I tested a RX can, it came with a one way check valve as well and I don't remember what Tracy from RX said about it.
I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to remove the UPR fittings either as the shrink wrap holds the connectors in place permanently..

The Ford quick connectors on the other hand should work, as pretty much most aftermarket parts are direct OEM replacement parts anyhow.. I'm just not sure as to what Ford sells the connectors for ?

As for the one way check valve, I did speak to Steve at UPR about 10 days ago and IIRC he mentioned it had something to do with the amount of metered air that enters into the upper intake at wide open throttle through the factory PCV, but don't remember the reason though.. I believe he also mentioned the check valve is designed to close at wide open throttle as well..

However I do recall he did mention that a one way check valve isn't necessary nor included in any of their catch can kits for the 3 valve 2005-10 Mustang so I honestly don't know the reason why UPR includes them for just the 2011-14 5.0 but not for the older 4.6 3 valve models

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/12/15 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10/12/15, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Ford connectors that I'm currently using are ones I bought from Ford as I didn't want to cut up my factory PVC pipe when I first installed a catch can. I paid right at $20 for two of them.

As far as I know, UPR is just using the one way valve for their new 4 chamber cans and I don't think they have a 4 chamber can application for the 2005-10 Mustangs. I think they just have their original design can for those.

Wayne
Old 10/12/15, 05:21 PM

The Ford connectors that I'm currently using are ones I bought from Ford as I didn't want to cut up my factory PVC pipe when I first installed a catch can. I paid right at $20 for two of them.

As far as I know, UPR is just using the one way valve for their new 4 chamber cans and I don't think they have a 4 chamber can application for the 2005-10 Mustangs. I think they just have their original design can for those.

Wayne
Hey there Wayne ! After my last post I did some further research and found out the reason for the one way check valve, is the valve is designed to close upon deceleration from wide open throttle to prevent crankcase oil vapors from getting past the PCV lines/connectors into the intake tract, from which my understanding is caused by increased crankcase pressure when decelerating from wide open throttle and also during boost applications as well

I also checked with Steve at UPR and he did confirm they only use the new 4 chamber cans for the 11-15 Mustangs but still use the old 3 chamber design cans for 2005-10 Mustang applications, however he also told me that if I were interested in switching over to UPR, they could build one of the new 4 chamber cans for my 2006 GT mounted to the strut tower, but I'd much rather mount the can remotely to the firewall instead..

At any rate, if I were to make the switch over to UPR ? I would only settle for the new 4 chamber remote mounted can which mounts to the firewall for 11-14 Mustang 5.0 applications..

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/12/15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10/12/15, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rocky,
Thanks for the info on the check valve. If UPR is willing to build you a 4 chamber can that will mount to your strut tower, then they can build you one for the firewall or for one that mounts where you now have your Bob's can.

If you want to mount it where your Bob's can is now, just provide UPR with the hose lengths that you are currently using and they can determine how long the UPR hoses with the fittings attached needs to be. Or you could just order the 4 chamber catch can like I have or like you posted in the picture above and buy the fittings needed to attach it to the can and use your own hoses cut to the length you need. That shouldn't be too expensive.

My only concern with the UPR can is the O-ring issue I just had. I don't know why the O-ring stretched out and I don't want to have to replace an O-ring everytime I empty the can. I'm going to have to make sure I lubricate the O-ring everytime I put the can back together even though I'm pretty sure I did the last time.

Like I said in my other posts, I don't think you are going to see any difference by switching to the UPR can but if you just want to experiment like I have been doing, it would be fun to try it out and maybe figure out other places you could mount it.

Wayne
Old 10/12/15, 07:31 PM

Rocky,
Thanks for the info on the check valve. If UPR is willing to build you a 4 chamber can that will mount to your strut tower, then they can build you one for the firewall or for one that mounts where you now have your Bob's can.

If you want to mount it where your Bob's can is now, just provide UPR with the hose lengths that you are currently using and they can determine how long the UPR hoses with the fittings attached needs to be. Or you could just order the 4 chamber catch can like I have or like you posted in the picture above and buy the fittings needed to attach it to the can and use your own hoses cut to the length you need. That shouldn't be too expensive.

My only concern with the UPR can is the O-ring issue I just had. I don't know why the O-ring stretched out and I don't want to have to replace an O-ring everytime I empty the can. I'm going to have to make sure I lubricate the O-ring everytime I put the can back together even though I'm pretty sure I did the last time.

Like I said in my other posts, I don't think you are going to see any difference by switching to the UPR can but if you just want to experiment like I have been doing, it would be fun to try it out and maybe figure out other places you could mount it.

Wayne
I was very pleased to provide you with the check valve info Wayne

As for UPR building a 4 chamber can for my 2006 application ? I couldn't agree more with you, so I also don't see any reason they couldn't build me one with a remote bracket that I can mount in the same location as my Bob's can is mounted right now..

My only concern is the O ring issues you were having with your UPR can and that does cause enough doubt to not want to pull the trigger although I suppose they could also include fitting it with a drain valve for an additional cost ? But the point is you shouldn't have to worry about replacing 0 rings when it comes to just cleaning out your catch can and there's also no guarantee that even applying penetrating oil or lubricant will prevent the O rings from stretching

At any rate, I haven't forgotten what you mentioned in your earlier posts about not seeing any difference by switching over from the Bob's can to the UPR 4 chamber design ? Therefore there's really no point in justifying the additional cost for making the switch IMHO..

I feel the only way I could justify making the switch, is if I end up getting oil liquid through the PCV connectors and into the intake tract with my Bob's can which I really hope doesn't ever happen

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/12/15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10/12/15, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think one of UPR's new 4 chamber cans has a drain valve on the bottom but I'm not sure which one it is or I might be mistaken.

I don't think you will see any liquid oil in the lines using a Bob's can. I first installed this can on my car at about 3,500 miles and other than the few thousand miles I tested other cans, the Bob's can has been on my car the majority of the time and I have never had liquid oil in the fitting at the intake. My car just turned over 16,000 miles.

Wayne
Old 10/13/15, 02:20 PM

I think one of UPR's new 4 chamber cans has a drain valve on the bottom but I'm not sure which one it is or I might be mistaken.

I don't think you will see any liquid oil in the lines using a Bob's can. I first installed this can on my car at about 3,500 miles and other than the few thousand miles I tested other cans, the Bob's can has been on my car the majority of the time and I have never had liquid oil in the fitting at the intake. My car just turned over 16,000 miles.

Wayne
I'm not sure as to which one does either Wayne.. But I'd look into contacting Joe over at UPR and let him know about the issues you've been having with the O rings stretching and maybe he'll send you out a drain valve to install on your current catch can or he might be willing to exchange it for one that already includes a drain plug valve ?

Anyway I found it very impressing to know that after putting 16,000 miles on your car which also include testing for the other catch cans in between that the Bob's can has been your primary catch can the majority of the time and has never allowed for any oil liquid to pass through the PCV fittings/connectors at the intake as a direct result..

Therefore you've just demonstrated and re-assured me once again that the Bob's can is not only doing it's job by trapping crankcase oil, but most of all preventing it from passing through the PCV connectors at the intake in the first place..

In the meantime, thanks once again Wayne..

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/13/15 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10/13/15, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

UPR already knows about my O-ring situation as they are the ones that sent me a couple of new O-rings after I called them about it. I know of one other case on the mustang6g.com website and UPR sent that guy some new O-rings. That guy made a thread about his issue if you want to look for it.

UPR has already taken care of me when they traded my radiator hose mounted 4 chamber can for the firewall mounted one so I'm not going to ask them for another upgrade. Joe at UPR takes good care of his customers as he had done other things for me in the past. Joe also continually strives to improve his catch can design so my hat is off to him.

At some point I will hook up my UPR can again and do some more testing. Joe mentioned something about an improved solid diffuser for the 4 chamber can so when that comes out, I'm going to test it.

Wayne
Old 10/13/15, 06:40 PM

UPR already knows about my O-ring situation as they are the ones that sent me a couple of new O-rings after I called them about it. I know of one other case on the mustang6g.com website and UPR sent that guy some new O-rings. That guy made a thread about his issue if you want to look for it.

UPR has already taken care of me when they traded my radiator hose mounted 4 chamber can for the firewall mounted one so I'm not going to ask them for another upgrade. Joe at UPR takes good care of his customers as he had done other things for me in the past. Joe also continually strives to improve his catch can design so my hat is off to him.

At some point I will hook up my UPR can again and do some more testing. Joe mentioned something about an improved solid diffuser for the 4 chamber can so when that comes out, I'm going to test it.

Wayne
Sounds great Wayne, hopefully Steven at Bob's will also follow in Joe's footsteps by doing the same for his customers as well..

In the meantime keep us posted..

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/13/15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10/13/15, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Look at the pics of Sharard's mustang in MM&FF and see if you can find a UPR separator.

Last edited by TheReaper; 10/13/15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10/14/15, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Look at the pics of Sharard's mustang in MM&FF and see if you can find a UPR separator.
I checked MM&FF and even did a search on their website.. Nothing came up under Sharard at all.. I found just an instructional video about how to install a UPR separator on a 2011-14 Mustang and nothing more..

Therefore how about providing an actual link for MM&FF that includes Sharard's Mustang pics

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/14/15 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10/14/15, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know in other pictures that I've seen of Sharad's car, he mounts his UPR can in the corner of the engine compartment by the master cylinder. The same place I currently have my Bob's can mounted. I don't have a copy of MM&FF to see where it's at in there.

Wayne
Old 10/14/15, 05:49 PM

Link for muscle mustangs and fast fords - 360

Wayne ! Here's the link for Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords - 360

http://www.mustangandfords.com/muscl...gazine/page-2/

Rocky
Old 10/14/15, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I love this car but I don't see a catch can.

This 2011 Mustang GT is Built to Fly Under the Radar and Terminate Unsuspecting Prey on the Track

Last edited by TheReaper; 10/14/15 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed the new UPR 4 chamber catch can.