Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installed the new UPR 4 chamber catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/15, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed the new UPR 4 chamber catch can.

I recently installed UPR's new remote mount four chamber catch can for the 11-14 GT.

I did have their new four chamber can that sat on the upper radiator hose but I wanted something that was hard mounted and had a longer run of hoses. I was able to trade that version for the new remote version. Here are some pictures.

Name:  002_zpsgdc6m94z.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  145.9 KB
Name:  001_zpsthyunjqh.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  168.0 KB
Name:  009_zpskk93xuad.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  172.3 KB
One way check valve installed in the exit line to intake.
Name:  008_zpsgiigphi8.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  179.0 KB
Inside pieces broken down.
Name:  001_zpsjrebkf4y.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  180.1 KB
Name:  005_zpse7awnvwc.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  171.1 KB
Name:  006_zpsxsrxm1fz.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  168.4 KB
Name:  007_zpswcqi7ta1.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  133.8 KB

I have only drove the car a few miles since the install so I don't know how well it is going to do. When I had the version that sat on the radiator hose and before UPR added the additional SS mesh ring on the diffuser tube, I would get liquid oil in the exit line. The new mesh ring is supposed to eliminate that from happening.

The remote mount can still gets as hot as it did sitting on top of the radiator hose to the point that you can not leave your hand on it after driving.

Here is a picture of the other can I had that sat on the radiator hose.
Name:  004_zpsc6d1519b.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  63.5 KB

Wayne
Old 6/26/15, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just wanted to give a short update on running this can. I ran it for 255 miles and then checked the exit line coming out of the can and found no signs of oil. I put a new Q-tip inside the fitting and ran it around and no residue came back on it.

I did add some extra SS mesh in the bottom of the can which I had from one of my older version UPR cans which I think helped because I didn't have any real oil on the middle diffuser or SS mesh ring like I did on the previous version of this can at about the same mileage. I did have oil in the bottom of the can, probably about 1/2 a tsp.

Wayne
Old 6/26/15, 09:51 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Nice! Looks like a good product.
Old 6/26/15, 12:24 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Wayne, did it come with all the hoses and fittings as such? Seems to be made well. What's the cost overall for the whole setup with hoses/fittings?

It concerns me though that there's no oil. Does that mean it's not catching it?
Old 6/26/15, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Wayne, did it come with all the hoses and fittings as such? Seems to be made well. What's the cost overall for the whole setup with hoses/fittings?

It concerns me though that there's no oil. Does that mean it's not catching it?
I think you misunderstood what I had said. There was oil in the can but there was no sign of oil or oil film in the fitting that exits the can and goes into the intake. That is a good thing.

Everything I show in the pictures comes with the kit. I think UPR is selling it for $169 + shipping. I was able to trade my previous can in on this current one so that is not what I paid.

The only thing that I added to this system was some extra SS mesh that I had from the Original UPR system that I also have so that the oil that ends up in the can does not splash back up into the can when going over bumps, turning, etc. I think it helps make this system more effective but that is just my own opinion.

The Bob's can that I had on before this one has the SS mesh in the bottom of the can and is one of the things that I think helps make that can so effective.

I thought UPR's new four chamber system looked interesting so I wanted to try it out and see how it did. So far I'm pretty impressed.

Wayne
Old 6/27/15, 05:03 AM
I Have No Life

^ ah I got you. My bad. That makes sense now.

I remember that you are/were a Bob's user, as I currently am. So you think the UPR is better? Is it worth me upgrading for that? If anything it's cheaper right? And it comes with all new pcv connectors (x2)? Plus the ability to mount by the firewall? No option except SS/aluminum for the color?
Old 6/27/15, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ ah I got you. My bad. That makes sense now.

I remember that you are/were a Bob's user, as I currently am. So you think the UPR is better? Is it worth me upgrading for that? If anything it's cheaper right? And it comes with all new pcv connectors (x2)? Plus the ability to mount by the firewall? No option except SS/aluminum for the color?
Here is the link to the can on UPR's website. It also comes in black and polished. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...all-11-sc.html

As far a the UPR can being better, right now from my limited use of it, it may be slightly better since I did not get any oil residue at the fitting but I only drove it 255 miles so I would have to put more miles on it to see if I continue to have no oil residue show up. I plan on driving another 1,000 miles and checking it again to see what it shows.

The Bob's can is very good as well and I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I only bought the new style UPR can because I had some extra money and I'm interested in catch cans so I thought I would try out their new design.

This new UPR can is slightly cheaper if you compare it to Bob's ultimate firewall mount system which I believe is $199.

At this point I don't know if I would recommend you switching to this new can since I don't know long term how it will do and it is a little bit of money to switch out. I will provide a link below where a guy ran this can for 5,000 miles and he talks about it and shows his results and maybe that would help you decide if you think it would be worth it.

Have you checked the exit fitting at your intake on your Bob's can to see how much if any oil residue you have there? On mine, I always have a slight film that you can see on your finger when you put it in the fitting.

Here is a link where someone else used this new system on their car and he had excellent results. He put two of these new cans in series to each other just like the tests that myself and dmichael did last year comparing the RX can to others.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...gned-Catch-Can

Here is a link to my results with the radiator hose mounted new system that I had before this new firewall mounted one. This one did not do well at all in my opinion but it was also before UPR started using the SS mesh ring at the bottom of the diffuser tube that I show in my pictures above. I also think the short run of hoses in that system helped let oil through.
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t363275/

Wayne
Old 6/27/15, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Why would I want a catch can ?

Last edited by TheReaper; 6/28/15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 6/28/15, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Why should I pay for a catch can ?
Because stealing one is illegal?
Old 6/28/15, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Because stealing one is illegal?
Thanks, I was PUI.
Old 6/29/15, 06:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I could see these being helpful in the long run for people that want their engines to last 200k miles and have the intake not be full of oil and sludge, but I don't see mine ever going over 100k miles since its not my daily driver. Or if you have forced induction.

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 6/29/15 at 06:47 AM.
Old 6/29/15, 07:02 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 70monte
Here is the link to the can on UPR's website. It also comes in black and polished. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...all-11-sc.html

As far a the UPR can being better, right now from my limited use of it, it may be slightly better since I did not get any oil residue at the fitting but I only drove it 255 miles so I would have to put more miles on it to see if I continue to have no oil residue show up. I plan on driving another 1,000 miles and checking it again to see what it shows.

The Bob's can is very good as well and I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I only bought the new style UPR can because I had some extra money and I'm interested in catch cans so I thought I would try out their new design.

This new UPR can is slightly cheaper if you compare it to Bob's ultimate firewall mount system which I believe is $199.

At this point I don't know if I would recommend you switching to this new can since I don't know long term how it will do and it is a little bit of money to switch out. I will provide a link below where a guy ran this can for 5,000 miles and he talks about it and shows his results and maybe that would help you decide if you think it would be worth it.

Have you checked the exit fitting at your intake on your Bob's can to see how much if any oil residue you have there? On mine, I always have a slight film that you can see on your finger when you put it in the fitting.

Here is a link where someone else used this new system on their car and he had excellent results. He put two of these new cans in series to each other just like the tests that myself and dmichael did last year comparing the RX can to others.

Here is a link to my results with the radiator hose mounted new system that I had before this new firewall mounted one. This one did not do well at all in my opinion but it was also before UPR started using the SS mesh ring at the bottom of the diffuser tube that I show in my pictures above. I also think the short run of hoses in that system helped let oil through.

Wayne
Interesting. Thanks a ton Wayne. I will leave mine as is, and let you continue to test yours out as the miles pile on. Can you please keep us posted on your updates and results?

As far as my set up, I haven't checked the pcv connector since putting it on. I simply drain the container about ~ 500 miles or so. I get maybe a teaspoon or less.
Old 6/29/15, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will keep you posted. This car is not my daily driver so sometimes miles don't pile on that fast. I've not had this car quite two years yet and I'm about to hit 13,000 miles. Car is pretty much parked from November to March.

Wayne
Old 6/29/15, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I recently installed UPR's new remote mount four chamber catch can for the 11-14 GT.

I did have their new four chamber can that sat on the upper radiator hose but I wanted something that was hard mounted and had a longer run of hoses. I was able to trade that version for the new remote version. Here are some pictures.

One way check valve installed in the exit line to intake.

Inside pieces broken down.

I have only drove the car a few miles since the install so I don't know how well it is going to do. When I had the version that sat on the radiator hose and before UPR added the additional SS mesh ring on the diffuser tube, I would get liquid oil in the exit line. The new mesh ring is supposed to eliminate that from happening.

The remote mount can still gets as hot as it did sitting on top of the radiator hose to the point that you can not leave your hand on it after driving.

Here is a picture of the other can I had that sat on the radiator hose.

Wayne

Old 10/2/15, 05:25 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Would you recommend upgrading from Bob's can over to UPR's 4 chamber can ?

Wayne
Wayne ! After reading over your reviews, does the new UPR design stop oil residue from entering the intake manifold any better over the Bob's can ?

And if so, would you recommend upgrading from the Bob's unit to the UPR 4 chamber can ? I've been running the Bob's can for nearly 3 weeks now but it's still too soon to notice if it prevents crankcase oil vapors from entering the intake manifold..

I'm also running a Saleen VI supercharger which increases the crankcase pressure over N/A and have looked into running breathers as a possible alternative in order to relieve the crankcase pressure as a direct result, however I've read quite a few mixed opinions in regards to eliminating a closed PCV system in favor of switching over to an open breather set up mostly due to the fact that the ECM does require a certain amount of vacuum from the upper intake manifold to keep the air/fuel ratio in check via metered air ?

In the meantime, I'd really appreciate any feedback and support that you may be able to provide.. I've also included a couple of pics of the Bob's catch can that I recently installed on my 2006 Mustang GT..

Thanks once again, Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/2/15 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10/2/15, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would say that the new UPR can and the Bob's can are about the same in how much they keep oil out of the intake. I don't get any liquid oil in the fitting at the intake on either can, just a slight residue when I put my finger inside the fitting.

I'm actually running my Bob's can again at the moment because when I last emptied my UPR can, the O-ring sealing the top portion from the bottom one must have stretched because it was too big to go back on the can. I put the Bob's back on and actually moved it to the corner of the engine compartment by the master cylinder. I've been running it like this for the past 2,000 miles. I did get some replacement O-rings from UPR but have not started using the can again because I wanted to see if the Bob's can would do a little better in a cooler spot which it seems to have done.

I would keep using your Bob's can as it does very well and I don't think you will see any or enough difference in switching to the UPR can to justify the cost.

My fiancee runs a Bob's can in the same location as yours on her NA 2007 GT and it seems to do a good job.

There is no catch can that I'm aware of that is going to catch a 100% of the oil or oil residue. Breathers will prevent 100% of oil going to your intake but like you mentioned above you do need some vacuum for everything to operate correctly and depending on where you live, if you have to have underhood visual emission checks, breathers probably won't pass. I personally would leave the PCV system intact.

You can pull off the hose at your intake and look inside the fitting to see if you have any liquid oil as well as stick a clean Q-tip or your finger inside it to give you an idea of how much oil might be getting past the can. On my car and my fiancee's car, all I have ever gotten with a Bob's can is a slight residue on my finger or a slight discoloring of a clean Q-tip. On other cans I have used in the past, there would be actual liquid oil inside the fitting.

Wayne
Old 10/3/15, 01:56 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a UPR catch can on my V6 and ended up taking it off because the connections they supplied with the kit, one was 90 degrees and the other was straight. The straight connector made the hose kink and the drain on the bottom leaked oil all over the engine area
Old 10/4/15, 10:29 PM

I would say that the new UPR can and the Bob's can are about the same in how much they keep oil out of the intake. I don't get any liquid oil in the fitting at the intake on either can, just a slight residue when I put my finger inside the fitting.
So far I haven't noticed any oil liquid in the fittings either but just a slight residue here as well..

I'm actually running my Bob's can again at the moment because when I last emptied my UPR can, the O-ring sealing the top portion from the bottom one must have stretched because it was too big to go back on the can. I put the Bob's back on and actually moved it to the corner of the engine compartment by the master cylinder. I've been running it like this for the past 2,000 miles. I did get some replacement O-rings from UPR but have not started using the can again because I wanted to see if the Bob's can would do a little better in a cooler spot which it seems to have done.
I also wanted to mount my Bob's can in the master cylinder corner as well, however unlike your 2014 GT, there just isn't enough corner space to mount it on my 2006 GT Therefore I had to settle for mounting it in the same location as your fiancee's 2007 GT..

I would keep using your Bob's can as it does very well and I don't think you will see any or enough difference in switching to the UPR can to justify the cost.
The reason for selecting the Bob's can was due to all the positive reviews from your posts in this thread along with several others on TMS and from other Mustang sites as well and so far, I've been very pleased with the Bob's can and Steven from Bob's Autosports has always taken the time in addressing my questions and concerns regarding the Bob's can and has therefore earned my business as direct result of his outstanding customer service..

My fiancee runs a Bob's can in the same location as yours on her NA 2007 GT and it seems to do a good job.
Originally I started out with the JLT catch can and ran it for about 5 weeks and although it did catch some of the oil vapors, there was still enough crankcase pressure build up causing vapor oil to pass through the PCV line of the JLT can and then into the intake manifold of my Saleen blower..

After discussing this with Steve from Bob's Autosports, I then contacted JLT tech support regarding my concerns and they in turn offered me a full refund minus a 25% restocking fee for returning the JLT can..

So I also give credit to JLT for demonstrating such outstanding customer service as well and I'll definitely purchase from them again in the future..

There is no catch can that I'm aware of that is going to catch a 100% of the oil or oil residue. Breathers will prevent 100% of oil going to your intake but like you mentioned above you do need some vacuum for everything to operate correctly and depending on where you live, if you have to have underhood visual emission checks, breathers probably won't pass. I personally would leave the PCV system intact.
Your absolutely spot on and although breathers will prevent 100% of oil vapor from entering the intake manifold, the PCV system along with your car's ECM does require vacuum in order to operate properly, so for that reason I also feel that it's best to leave the PCV system intact..

You can pull off the hose at your intake and look inside the fitting to see if you have any liquid oil as well as stick a clean Q-tip or your finger inside it to give you an idea of how much oil might be getting past the can. On my car and my fiancee's car, all I have ever gotten with a Bob's can is a slight residue on my finger or a slight discoloring of a clean Q-tip. On other cans I have used in the past, there would be actual liquid oil inside the fitting.
I did indeed follow these steps and as I mentioned earlier, so far all I've noticed is just a slight residue on my finger, but no actual oil liquid inside the hose fitting as of yet, therefore it does appear the Bob's can is indeed doing such a fantastic job..

In the meantime, keep us all posted by letting us know if your UPR can is making as much of a difference as your Bob's can is by relocating it in the corner of your engine compartment by the master cylinder..

Rocky
Old 10/4/15, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by maverick1125
I had a UPR catch can on my V6 and ended up taking it off because the connections they supplied with the kit, one was 90 degrees and the other was straight. The straight connector made the hose kink and the drain on the bottom leaked oil all over the engine area
Have you brought this to UPR's attention ? I would contact their customer support dept and find out if they may be willing to work with you in regards to exchanging the kit fittings
Old 10/5/15, 08:11 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Wayne ! After reading over your reviews, does the new UPR design stop oil residue from entering the intake manifold any better over the Bob's can ?

And if so, would you recommend upgrading from the Bob's unit to the UPR 4 chamber can ? I've been running the Bob's can for nearly 3 weeks now but it's still too soon to notice if it prevents crankcase oil vapors from entering the intake manifold..

I'm also running a Saleen VI supercharger which increases the crankcase pressure over N/A and have looked into running breathers as a possible alternative in order to relieve the crankcase pressure as a direct result, however I've read quite a few mixed opinions in regards to eliminating a closed PCV system in favor of switching over to an open breather set up mostly due to the fact that the ECM does require a certain amount of vacuum from the upper intake manifold to keep the air/fuel ratio in check via metered air ?

In the meantime, I'd really appreciate any feedback and support that you may be able to provide.. I've also included a couple of pics of the Bob's catch can that I recently installed on my 2006 Mustang GT..

Thanks once again, Rocky
Rocky... I had this same convo with Wayne too before.

I have a Maggie blower on my 5.0, and had the Bob's can for about 5k miles now. IMO, it's really doing it's job. I empty it every 1k miles or so. You'd be surprised how much oil it catches from the vapors. I'm REALLY happy with my Bob's. Here's a pic of my latest removal, around ~1500 miles or so.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/5/15 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Installed the new UPR 4 chamber catch can.