Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

how to get better MPG on the 5.0 ??

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/12, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to get better MPG on the 5.0 ??

i basically ordered the 5.0 to get pretty good mpg for what it is, but to get bad mpg for when i stomp it, but i mostly just cruise around as it will be a daily drive to and from work.

i think a cold air intake will give maybe 1mpg improvement, maybe less restrictive exhaust another 1mpg,

but is there anything else that might help?
91 octane over 87 octane?
GT500 spoiler over no spoiler at all?
front boss splitter ?
car being lowered will result with less air going under for drag?

i would personally like to do some tests over the next few months, with different octanes with the car being lowered compared to stock etc...
Old 4/18/12, 12:00 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A tune, intake, exhaust, stiffer suspension (shocks, struts, srings, anti-roll/sway bars) lighter rims, lip spoiler, diffuser, (functional) wing, all these can greatly increase mileage and efficiency. Especially the tune. I saw an increase of 19 city before, now im near 24-25 city, all with just the tune. Octane will affect fuel exonomy but it really just depends on how heavy your foot is
Old 4/18/12, 12:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
A tune, intake, exhaust, stiffer suspension (shocks, struts, srings, anti-roll/sway bars) lighter rims, lip spoiler, diffuser, (functional) wing, all these can greatly increase mileage and efficiency. Especially the tune. I saw an increase of 19 city before, now im near 24-25 city, all with just the tune. Octane will affect fuel exonomy but it really just depends on how heavy your foot is
id really like to stay away from a tune, but adding HP while adding MPG is always a plus!!!

ill most likely do the AirAid and GT500 mufflers and see how mpg improves if any.

how does stiffer suspension and sway bars improve mpg tho? i can understand lowering will likely give you a little less drag.
Old 4/18/12, 12:32 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by nickt916

id rally like to stay away from a tune, but adding HP while adding MPG is always a plus!!!

ill most likely do the AirAid and GT500 mufflers and see how mpg improves if any.

how does stiffer suspension and sway bars improve mpg tho? i can understand lowering will likely give you a little less drag.
Less body roll and squat through turns and acceleration. Better weight transfer means more efficient driving = better mpg. And a tuner from SCT is harmless and will allow you to reap the most benefits from any mods you have and optimize your engine to run at peak efficiency which also boosts mpg's. On average with just a tune you can an increase of 5-6 mpg's. Thats just from what ive experienced (i currently own my second 'stang and have tuned both). And thats just the tune, everything else is stock. With freer flowing exhaust and increased air intake rates, you can see your mpg numbers skyrocket

Last edited by CCTking; 4/18/12 at 12:33 AM.
Old 4/18/12, 01:51 AM
Bullitt Member

But if something goes wrong, a tune voids your warranty doesn't it? And it can't be un-done from what I've read. Ford can still see it in the system that the stock tune has been changed even if you put the stock one back.
Old 4/18/12, 05:20 AM
FR500 Member

I personally havnt had warranty issues with anything because i talked with my Ford dealer about mods an they said as long as i clear it with them then its fine. But idk if every dealer does that, maybe i just got lucky
Old 4/18/12, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

From what I understand, the chin splitter and gt500 spoiler would decrease fuel economy. These increase downforce which is essentially the same as adding weight especially at higher speeds. Helps traction at higher speeds but decreases economy
Old 4/18/12, 07:14 AM
V6 Member

Mpg isn't really that great in my car too, i get about an average of 18 or so between city and highway but what do you expect with a V8.
Old 4/18/12, 07:14 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
From what I understand, the chin splitter and gt500 spoiler would decrease fuel economy. These increase downforce which is essentially the same as adding weight especially at higher speeds. Helps traction at higher speeds but decreases economy
Yea i thought about it, youre right. Shouldnt decrease much though, maybe 2-4 mpg max?
Old 4/18/12, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

At first I thought this was a joke thread, But you're serious!

The biggest thing fore was slowing down. Slow star offs, slow acceleration and drafting, which freaks other cars out. Aside from that, you're hosed. You have a 420 hp V8, I think the mpg we get is plenty for what it is.
Old 4/18/12, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Yea i thought about it, youre right. Shouldnt decrease much though, maybe 2-4 mpg max?
I couldn't tell you, it may not hurt enough to matter even, but I do know it won't help efficiency
Old 4/18/12, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I personally havnt had warranty issues with anything because i talked with my Ford dealer about mods an they said as long as i clear it with them then its fine. But idk if every dealer does that, maybe i just got lucky
Originally Posted by dogiebitt
But if something goes wrong, a tune voids your warranty doesn't it? And it can't be un-done from what I've read. Ford can still see it in the system that the stock tune has been changed even if you put the stock one back.
yes it would void the warranty, blah blah, but yes every dealer is also different. its best to email the dealer and explain and have them reply to you in an email format, this way you will cover your butt 100% in case the guy gets fired or they said they never said that, i still can't get a straight answer from my dealer, and i like to be able to use 87 octane without worrying about knock, so ill just still with an CAI for now

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
i got mine spoiler delete, ill drive it that way and then with spoiler and see how much worse it will be, but it sure does look better with a spoiler do

Originally Posted by gtman2012
Mpg isn't really that great in my car too, i get about an average of 18 or so between city and highway but what do you expect with a V8.
i expect good and horrible when step on it haha

Originally Posted by Sky Hye
At first I thought this was a joke thread, But you're serious!

The biggest thing fore was slowing down. Slow star offs, slow acceleration and drafting, which freaks other cars out. Aside from that, you're hosed. You have a 420 hp V8, I think the mpg we get is plenty for what it is.
you are right, thats why i went with the 5.0 cuz it gets great mpg for what it is, with a little potential to being a little better
Old 4/18/12, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deactivate 4 of the cylinders.

Old 4/18/12, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Or buy an $3000 Honda
Old 4/18/12, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure gas mileage is a primary concern for people who buy V8 mustangs. If it is a concern of yours, you might consider another vehicle.
Old 4/18/12, 09:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is wrong with trying to get a few more MPGs out of your V8? If I can increase MPGs without changing my driving style or sacrificing HP, I want to hear all about it.
Old 4/18/12, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your best bet is to just drive a little slower and avoid peak torque RPM. The idea of spending $100s on mods to save a couple MPG (maybe) seems counter-productive. Now if you're just looking for an excuse to do some mods, that's fine.
Old 4/18/12, 09:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You mean my '11 GT will get good mileage? lol

Most likely, all the parts and accessories added will not improve the mileage as much as driving like grandma would. And this is true of any car you own.
Old 4/18/12, 10:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Drive like you got an egg between your foot & the accelerator pedal. and oh yeah, turn in your man card.
Old 4/18/12, 10:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Drive like you got an egg between your foot & the accelerator pedal. and oh yeah, turn in your man card.
Wow, theres an ahole statement if I ever heard one. Someone asks how to squeeze out a few more MPGs and thats your answer? Hate to be your kid.

Quick Reply: how to get better MPG on the 5.0 ??