Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Have you encountered any problems with the 5.0 engine?
No problems what so ever.
98.55%
Yes, I have encountered problems, and had problems, stock engine, replaced under warranty
0%
Yes, I have encountered problems with a modded engine.
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

How fragile are the 5.0 engines?

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/11, 08:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
I thought F-Bodies were the older Camaros / Firebirds.

Fox body doesn't mean F-body to me ....

Old 9/27/11, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Calm down, Yosemite Sam. I was lulzing at the fact that the poll now reads 59 to 1 not having any issues. Also that you seem to think Ford doesn't do durability testing on their engines.

We haven't had F bodies since 1993 when Ford went to the SN95 architecture, and I'm glad that you enjoy F bodies, they were pretty sweet cars, but I don't think it's "switching sides" so much as "getting with the times". Vanilla Ice ain't what's hot any more, yo.

Besides, it's not the engine you have to worry about, it's the transmission. Just ask Jmatero.

I have no doubt you will enjoy the ever-loving hell out of your new S197. Just don't call it an F body.

I'm always though I was more of an Elmer Fudd type. lol Nah i was meaning F-body as in Firebird/Trans AM and Camaro, that's what I was meaning about "switching sides". Government Motors to Ford.

Yeah, I'm really liking the maturity of this forum so far... Ls1tech is riddled with 17-21 year olds now because of the DRASTIC price drop in LS1 4th gens and all they do is talk crap and **** fight with each other. Post a poll like this about an LS1 and they are all up in arms, screaming "OMFG you NeWb, don't you know anything." Sorry for making the assumption about you Hawk.

Current vehicle is a 99 Trans Am. Car isnt dirty, i tried to make a "vintage" feel with the editing and it made the car look filthy. I have had it for going on 7 years now, but i think it is time to move on from her...
Old 9/27/11, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
Current vehicle is a 99 Trans Am. Car isnt dirty, i tried to make a "vintage" feel with the editing and it made the car look filthy. I have had it for going on 7 years now, but i think it is time to move on from her...
She doesn't look that bad. For some reason I always thought the LS1 Trans Ams with the WS6 package were the best looking of the 4th gen F-bodies. No idea why...

Anyway, since this thread is about reliability, has anyone had issues with the brakes? I remember seeing a complaint on another website about something to do with the brakes, standard and Brembo.
Old 9/27/11, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Race red is definitely at the top of my list. That is a beautiful car that you posted up, VTX
Thanks man. It's a hell of a lot of fun!

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
VTX, sweeet Stang, which wheels are those??
Thanks! They are ASA GT5's in 19x9 with 44mm offset. Got them from TireRack when they first came out. Now I think they only sell the 18 and 20 inch versions. But I've had at least two other people call them up and order the 19's and get them.

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
She doesn't look that bad. For some reason I always thought the LS1 Trans Ams with the WS6 package were the best looking of the 4th gen F-bodies. No idea why...

Anyway, since this thread is about reliability, has anyone had issues with the brakes? I remember seeing a complaint on another website about something to do with the brakes, standard and Brembo.
I agree, it's a nice looking car.

I've not had any brake issues on my car. I've even put on drilled and slotted rotors and have had great braking performance before and after. The only issue I've had with my car is the fuel gauge issue. It's gone bad now for the second time. As soon as it hits a half tank, it drops to empty and will run out of gas even though one side tank still has fuel in it.
Old 9/27/11, 06:16 PM
3rd Times A Charm

You guys listen to Frank. He knows what's up.

Not like a lot of the other "informed" members we have here.
Old 9/27/11, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence brother.
Old 9/28/11, 10:07 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
I thought F-Bodies were the older Camaros / Firebirds.
They are but its a legacy name as well, the current car even though based on the zeta chassis is considered the fifth generation F-body (you'll see F5 occasionally used as a reference to the current car).
Old 9/29/11, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx

Well, it will be after you've replaced both the engine and the transmission...
Old 9/29/11, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm always though I was more of an Elmer Fudd type. lol Nah i was meaning F-body as in Firebird/Trans AM and Camaro, that's what I was meaning about "switching sides". Government Motors to Ford.

Yeah, I'm really liking the maturity of this forum so far... Ls1tech is riddled with 17-21 year olds now because of the DRASTIC price drop in LS1 4th gens and all they do is talk crap and **** fight with each other. Post a poll like this about an LS1 and they are all up in arms, screaming "OMFG you NeWb, don't you know anything." Sorry for making the assumption about you Hawk.

D'OH.

I knew you meant F-bodies as GM F-bodies. I was just having a brain=off kind of day.

I feel old. I'm about to turn 29. Maybe I can blame Alzheimer's?

Anyway, that is a nice LS1 you have there. I share no malice toward GM cars of F-body vintage, they were nice cars. It's just a shame that many of their owners are missing teeth, brain cells, and/or chromosomes. I suppose the same could be said of many Mustang owners as well.

I think you will do well with the S197 5.0, it's a very nice car. And, for the moment, it's still priced high enough that it keeps most of the riff-raff out.