Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Have you encountered any problems with the 5.0 engine?
No problems what so ever.
98.55%
Yes, I have encountered problems, and had problems, stock engine, replaced under warranty
0%
Yes, I have encountered problems with a modded engine.
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

How fragile are the 5.0 engines?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/11, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ehatcher
Wow, thanks everyone... really puts my mind at ease seeing the poll and everyones answers. I guess my stats teacher was right back in college. People usually only air out the bad stuff, only ***** and complain about stuff when it doesn't go their way.

Looks like I need to start deciding on what color to get my 5.0 in...

This is my personal opinion.

Exterior: Black or Performance White
Interior: Charcoal leather

Then throw on a set of the RTR wheels. Sick combination.
Old 9/25/11, 10:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow, thanks everyone... really puts my mind at ease seeing the poll and everyones answers. I guess my stats teacher was right back in college. People usually only air out the bad stuff, only ***** and complain about stuff when it doesn't go their way.

Looks like I need to start deciding on what color to get my 5.0 in...
Black on Black.
Old 9/25/11, 11:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
225,000+ miles on my Mark VIII - same block - still solid when I traded her in.
Old 9/26/11, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't call the engine fragile at all. In fact, for the type of parts in it, I'd say it's relatively stout.

You just can't tune to the ragged edge on an 11:1 compression motor. That's true of any mill. That's where that #8 issue is stemming from. HP wars between the tuners caused early on bad choices for tunes that unfortunately saw the buying public eating new engine costs.

At this point that is all likely sorted.

Heck, Ford themselves will sell you a whipple-charger to put down north of 500 hp at the wheels and still warranty it for a period if the install is done by a Ford mechanic.

My engine does make some odd noise, but so far Ford engineering has been right. It hasn't been detrimental to engine operation at all.
Old 9/26/11, 11:47 AM
V6 Member

#8 failure from tuners shutting knock sensors off or limiting them.
Old 9/26/11, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine been good so far. It's not a daily driver, but it's not a garage queen either. It seems like a good engine and I know several people have had a few problems and I'm very sorry to hear it, but I think overall the motor is sound.
Old 9/26/11, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lulz at this poll.
Old 9/26/11, 05:01 PM

LULZ at a guy that knows nothing about Mod motors or Mustangs period? I grew up being around nothing but F-Bodies, and have never owned a performance car but an F-Body. I figured you would be happy that I was contemplating on "switching sides" and supporting your favorite car manufacturer.
Old 9/26/11, 05:15 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LULZ at a guy that knows nothing about Mod motors or Mustangs period? I grew up being around nothing but F-Bodies, and have never owned a performance car but an F-Body. I figured you would be happy that I was contemplating on "switching sides" and supporting your favorite car manufacturer.
I think he means lulz at the results
Old 9/26/11, 05:19 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ok.. you are at a 9 and I need you at a 4.

I am pretty sure the current mustang is not a true F body anymore. Who says Ford is anyones favorite? I like I think my fav is ferrari. But currently I can only afford a mustang and I am ok with that.

Also I think he was "lulz" 'ing at the poll becuase so many threads have been posted as of late about one person having problems.

Last edited by Flagstang; 9/26/11 at 11:22 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

New guy here, but not to Mustangs.

I had an intake and tune on my Mustang from about 500 miles till now, 10,500 miles. This car is a friggin beast! I have 275/35-19's on the rear and can still blow the tires off in 1st and 2nd and some of 3rd if I want too. I've been into cars since 1978. That's when I helped my dad rebuild an engine for the first time. Since then, I've not seen or heard of a breakthrough engine of this magnitude that is so powerfully fun NA. Or able to run 11:1 compression with 9lbs of boost churning out a blistering 625+HP so reliably. The measure of an engine is how well it holds up to boost. This engine is one of the best ever made in that regard.

I've not seen more than 10 different honest, backed up with information cars with a blown #8. Now how many new 5.0L engines do you think are out there? As mentioned, bad tunes, not the motor's design, are the blame and now that the major tune distributors are on-board with the info, I've not heard of a recent one. I suspect that if I DO hear of another confirmed case, it will be from someone running an old tune from when they were messing with the knock sensor settings and running more than 25° of timing on an NA car. So far, there has been no F/I #8 issues from what I've seen.

And really, how can you deny this?

Latest pic:

Without the Roush side splitters or the GT500 rear diffuser:

Race Red for FTMFW!!
Old 9/26/11, 06:33 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Well considering the battery of tests they have to go through, I'd say they are pretty **** tough. The biggest deal seems to be the learning curve for tuners and such. You guys are pioneering the new engine, bound to be some broken eggs now and then.
Old 9/26/11, 07:33 PM
Cobra R Member

53 to 1. Its a small group but thats a pretty good ratio for me....

I know how you feel tho, dropping hard earned money on a "toy" But i eventually cracked! lol
Old 9/26/11, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I think he means lulz at the results
Well if thats the case, then i thoroughly apologize. I just thought it was a case of the "noob" (myself) getting trolled. I see enough of that garbage on Ls1tech.

Race red is definitely at the top of my list. That is a beautiful car that you posted up, VTX
Old 9/26/11, 11:23 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this really isnt a troll forum. Just ignore gt500 owners from ca and you will be fine
Old 9/26/11, 11:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
this really isnt a troll forum. Just ignore gt500 owners from ca and you will be fine
LoL..
Old 9/26/11, 11:53 PM
Cobra R Member

VTX, sweeet Stang, which wheels are those??
Old 9/27/11, 12:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a 12 Stang with that #8 issue.

The #8 issue has nothing to do with the design of motor it's the TUNE. Get the right tune or leave it stock. It's costing me 8k+.

Would I buy a 5.0 Mustang? YES. Why? It's perfect in every god **** way!
Old 9/27/11, 04:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unas2k5
Would I buy a 5.0 Mustang? YES. Why? It's perfect in every god **** way!
Well, it will be after you've replaced both the engine and the transmission...
Old 9/27/11, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Calm down, Yosemite Sam. I was lulzing at the fact that the poll now reads 59 to 1 not having any issues. Also that you seem to think Ford doesn't do durability testing on their engines.

We haven't had F bodies since 1993 when Ford went to the SN95 architecture, and I'm glad that you enjoy F bodies, they were pretty sweet cars, but I don't think it's "switching sides" so much as "getting with the times". Vanilla Ice ain't what's hot any more, yo.

Besides, it's not the engine you have to worry about, it's the transmission. Just ask Jmatero.

I have no doubt you will enjoy the ever-loving hell out of your new S197. Just don't call it an F body.

Originally Posted by Flagstang
ok.. you are at a 9 and I need you at a 4.

Quick Reply: How fragile are the 5.0 engines?