Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Horsepower TV 5.0 Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/10, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Horsepower TV 5.0 Dyno

I just saw Horsepower TV get 465 HP and 413 lbft from a crate engine 5.0 right out of the box. The first run got 416 HP, which they said was expected for an engine rated at 412. The Ford rep on site said they could go ahead and hit the rev limiter at 7300 RPM which is when they got the 465 reading. Apparently, Ford has run the engine at 7300 "all day" without problems.

That's pretty impressive! Imagine what you can get with some mods.
Old 10/16/10, 01:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Wow! Horsepower TV is on still? I used to watch em all the time in the 90s as a teenager!
Old 10/16/10, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I just saw Horsepower TV get 465 HP and 413 lbft from a crate engine 5.0 right out of the box. The first run got 416 HP, which they said was expected for an engine rated at 412. The Ford rep on site said they could go ahead and hit the rev limiter at 7300 RPM which is when they got the 465 reading. Apparently, Ford has run the engine at 7300 "all day" without problems.

That's pretty impressive! Imagine what you can get with some mods.
I'm assuming this is a dyno reading at the back of the crank? If so then yeah that's about right.
Old 10/16/10, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I just watched that and thought they said 468@6800. They upped the rev limiter to 7300 I think. Gotta watch it again.
Old 10/16/10, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11
I'm assuming this is a dyno reading at the back of the crank? If so then yeah that's about right.
Yep... the same way Ford got their 412 HP rating. But that would mean that 412 HP at the rear wheels would not be out of line on a completely stock GT.
Old 10/16/10, 03:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running the engine on a engine dynomometer is different than the crank HP that the engine will get in the car. No cats or restrictive exhaust system, restrictive air intake, no accessory drive, etc.

What computer and tune did they run?

Doubt it was the stock tune like the motor would run in the car because of the above reasons.
Old 10/16/10, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=Ltngdrvr;5962353]Running the engine on a engine dynomometer is different than the crank HP that the engine will get in the car. No cats or restrictive exhaust system, restrictive air intake, no accessory drive, etc.
quote]

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't an engine dyno measure crankshaft HP from the flywheel since it is the output of the crankshaft? There is always engine drive accessories as it would be in the engine bay including the radiator and coolant. Headers are the only exhaust component that is connected.

The more popular chassis dyno measures power at the rear wheels and reads lower because of the drivetrain, wheels/tires, and the complete exhaust. So typically the reading is 15% lower.
Old 10/16/10, 05:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Running the engine on a engine dynomometer is different than the crank HP that the engine will get in the car. No cats or restrictive exhaust system, restrictive air intake, no accessory drive, etc.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't an engine dyno measure crankshaft HP from the flywheel since it is the output of the crankshaft? There is always engine drive accessories as it would be in the engine bay including the radiator and coolant. Headers are the only exhaust component that is connected.

The more popular chassis dyno measures power at the rear wheels and reads lower because of the drivetrain, wheels/tires, and the complete exhaust. So typically the reading is 15% lower.
Well, they weren't running it on a chassis dyno in a car, it was a crate engine.

Nobody said if they ran any front accessories or even a water pump.

That is why I figure the HP reading was as high as it was. Had it all the same stuff hooked up on it as it is in the car, full exhaust, all belt driven accessories and the same tune as it has in the car, the power output probably wouldn't have been as high.

It's great that they got what they did, all I am saying is it has to be taken in the correct context.
Old 10/16/10, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, they weren't running it on a chassis dyno in a car, it was a crate engine.

Nobody said if they ran any front accessories or even a water pump.

That is why I figure the HP reading was as high as it was. Had it all the same stuff hooked up on it as it is in the car, full exhaust, all belt driven accessories and the same tune as it has in the car, the power output probably wouldn't have been as high.

It's great that they got what they did, all I am saying is it has to be taken in the correct context.
You cannot run a motor without a front accessory or cooling system on a dyno and expect to tune it or measure the power output. WHY would anyone do that??? Once it reaches operating temp (very fast) it would begin to lose power and overheat. The headers will glow red. The motor would be damaged for sure.

Notice the front accessories and connection to a cooling system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiaKY_nzhI

Give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't think the numbers for that crate motor was stretched by running without accessories.

Last edited by eurocobra; 10/16/10 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10/16/10, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

They had the normal accessories on the engine (water pump, alternator) but it was connected to a no-restriction intake pipe and headers connected only to exhaust hoses (no mufflers or cats). Would that be enough to account for 50 HP? If so, it appears that major HP gains could be made in a GT with only a carefully selected CAI and exhaust system (and corresponding tune).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10/16/10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10/16/10, 06:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
You cannon run a motor without a front accessory or cooling system on a dyno and expect to tune it or measure the power output. WHY would anyone do that??? Once it reaches operating temp (very fast) it would begin to lose power and overheat. The headers will glow red. The motor would be damaged for sure.

Notice the front accessories and connection to a cooling system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiaKY_nzhI

Give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't think the numbers for that crate motor was stretched by running without accessories.

On the engine dyno they could have run a electric water pump and they wouldn't have to run any other accessories.

They had the normal accessories on the engine (water pump, alternator) but it was connected to a no-restriction intake pipe and headers connected only to exhaust hoses (no mufflers or cats). Would that be enough to account for 50 HP? If so, it appears that major HP gains could be made in a GT with only a carefully selected CAI and exhaust system (and corresponding tune).

Okay, that's fine, they ran it with the stock belt driven accessories.

But, if they ran the no restriction intake tube and basically what amounts to an open exhaust, then they could not have been running on the stock tune, they would have to compensate for the free flowing intake and exhaust, just the same as if intake and exhaust mods had been done on the motor in the car.

So, this amounts to the motor having mods and a tune, accounting for the high HP numbers they came up with.

I'm not bashing these guys or the numbers they came up with, just looking at it with my eyes wide open, taking in the whole truth.

Is this not a reasonable conclusion???

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 10/16/10 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10/16/10, 08:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

They ran the stock intake and headers.
Old 10/16/10, 08:39 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
They ran the stock intake and headers.
Yes, but what kind of air inlet? A high flow tube, right?

And they ran no exhaust system.

Both of these factors equates to the same as if you have a CAI and high flow exhaust on the car thus requiring a tune to compensate.

We have all seen what the 5.0 does in the car with a CAI, a free flow exhaust and a Tune, they make a bunch more power.

RIGHT???
Old 10/16/10, 09:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes, but what kind of air inlet? A high flow tube, right?

And they ran no exhaust system.

Both of these factors equates to the same as if you have a CAI and high flow exhaust on the car thus requiring a tune to compensate.

We have all seen what the 5.0 does in the car with a CAI, a free flow exhaust and a Tune, they make a bunch more power.

RIGHT???
I meant stock cold air intake. I don't remember what kind of exhaust was used. It will be reran on Sunday.
Old 10/16/10, 09:32 PM
GTR Member

One of the other posts in this thread said they used a high flow air tube.

They can rerun it a hundred times and I won't see it, no cable or satellite. I looked at their website and they don't run the shows on there unless you want to pay for a download.
Old 10/17/10, 03:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

On the dyno it ran stock intake and exhaust headers but when put in the car the intake wouldn't fit so the put in a shorter one but didn't dyno it.
Old 10/17/10, 04:45 AM
GT Member

...the Ford rep on site said they could go ahead and hit the rev limiter at 7300 RPM which is when they got the 465 reading. Apparently, Ford has run the engine at 7300 "all day" without problems...
I wonder if this is similar to the rumored special "key" feature for the Boss LS that may unlock additional performance- perhaps an extended rev range to uncork some more power.

With Boss' upgrades, bring that bad boy up to 8K (a la M3) and see what it can do!
Old 10/17/10, 07:55 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this is camaro talk. I am sure steeda and bama and tillman and all the rest would be seeing these numbers with the 5.0 and not be claiming 390 or so hp.
Old 10/17/10, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, I watched it again and paid closer attention this time. And I turned on closed captioning because I thought I heard 416 for the first run like the OP.

So...they used the stock CAI for both runs but were running Ford Racing long tube headers with cats. I didn't even know they existed. The first run was with the stock rev limiter and they made 460hp and 411tq. The second run they bumped the rev limiter up to 7300 and got 468hp and 413tq.

This was a 5.0 crate engine of course. The crate engine tune might be more aggressive than the one for production cars, they didn't say. Or maybe the catted LTs are worth that much extra hp?
Old 10/17/10, 02:08 PM
GT Member

Anyone record it? I would love to see it.