2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

HID Noob

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/12, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Noob

K so I ve never bought HIDs for any vehicle, all I know is that they make ur lights brighter and different colors lol. So I ve been wanting to get some HID kits for my 2012 mustang gt, so I know that requires 2 kits. I just dont know about kits and watts. So I would like them to be bright but not too bright where I m considered the ******* on the road, and I want them bright white, not blue or any other color. What kind of kits do I need and what specifications to get them the way I want them to look. Also some places where I can get these kits cheap because my brother in law said he could install them for me. Thanks in advance and sry for my noobness.
Old 10/2/12, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
K so I ve never bought HIDs for any vehicle, all I know is that they make ur lights brighter and different colors lol. So I ve been wanting to get some HID kits for my 2012 mustang gt, so I know that requires 2 kits. I just dont know about kits and watts. So I would like them to be bright but not too bright where I m considered the ******* on the road, and I want them bright white, not blue or any other color. What kind of kits do I need and what specifications to get them the way I want them to look. Also some places where I can get these kits cheap because my brother in law said he could install them for me. Thanks in advance and sry for my noobness.
don't get cheap ones, get quality sets because they will burn out on you.
There are some at my local shop for I think 80-100 and they have lifetime warranty, if you're in florida or want them shipped let me know or look up acg HIDs on google I suppose. The higher the k the bluer itll be and the less light output, you would want 4k.

I'm not 100% savvy on this but this is what I know from my two previous sets on other cars. since you have a reflective housing, you will be "that guy" no matter what, they will be really bright, now if you had the '13 headlights which are projector, you won't be "that guy"
You always want to aim the driver side a little bit lower than the passenger so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
Old 10/2/12, 11:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ended up getting Sylvania Silverstars for my 2006, and they are plenty bright. They also are much more of a white color than stock. Just giving you an easier, cheaper option.
Old 10/3/12, 04:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When purchasing HID's please do yourself and everyone else that shares the roads with you; buy a proper set of headlight housings that are made for HID's: projection type housings. Look at the 2013 style and notice the huge difference in how the light is "projected".

Way too many folks buy these HID kits and install them into their existing headlight housings. All you get is a large blue "splash" of light. Very annoying to oncoming drivers. Nothing cool about that. I wish the police had more time to pull these offenders over and write up tickets.
Old 12/10/12, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
When purchasing HID's please do yourself and everyone else that shares the roads with you; buy a proper set of headlight housings that are made for HID's: projection type housings. Look at the 2013 style and notice the huge difference in how the light is "projected".

Way too many folks buy these HID kits and install them into their existing headlight housings. All you get is a large blue "splash" of light. Very annoying to oncoming drivers. Nothing cool about that. I wish the police had more time to pull these offenders over and write up tickets.
Yeah a lot of the glare comes from not shielding the bulbs. My headlights aren't bad at all to other drivers (and I've had my wife follow me in my car while I've been on my bike with its dim-*** headlight) because they have caps over the bulb:

On the other hand, I turn on my fog lights and before they're even warmed up I'll have people flashing their brights at me. There's nothing blocking the direct glare of the arc:

So I don't usually use them if I'm too close to other drivers.

I'll say this though, HID bulbs in factory halogen reflectors SUCK for high beams. Hit beams and they go up into the trees instead of out in front of you. My fogs have become my surrogate high beams
Old 12/10/12, 05:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*awaits Patrick* He'll hook you up. He found some good ones for cheap recently
Old 12/11/12, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Yeah a lot of the glare comes from not shielding the bulbs. My headlights aren't bad at all to other drivers (and I've had my wife follow me in my car while I've been on my bike with its dim-*** headlight) because they have caps over the bulb:

On the other hand, I turn on my fog lights and before they're even warmed up I'll have people flashing their brights at me. There's nothing blocking the direct glare of the arc:

So I don't usually use them if I'm too close to other drivers.

I'll say this though, HID bulbs in factory halogen reflectors SUCK for high beams. Hit beams and they go up into the trees instead of out in front of you. My fogs have become my surrogate high beams
Mine do go "up" but they increase viewing distance by almost double. Yours may have needed adjusted.
Old 12/11/12, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Its hard to explain without a picture. I'll try to post one when I get a chance. The light goes up, but also scatters way up and with the glare of oncoming headlights serve really no purpose at all. I even tested a theory and left my high beams on all the way home one night and not one person flashed me. They suck.
Old 12/13/12, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Ddmtuning.com
Old 12/13/12, 11:22 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
*awaits Patrick* He'll hook you up. He found some good ones for cheap recently
Originally Posted by laserred38
Ddmtuning.com
It took a few days but... Victory!!

Last edited by stangfoeva; 12/13/12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12/13/12, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hahaha #dork
Old 12/13/12, 12:23 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Hahaha #dork
You don't know how badly I fought off texting you about this. I kept saying, "He'll see it...he'll see it.."

Now I can get some sleep at night
Old 12/13/12, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
You don't know how badly I fought off texting you about this. I kept saying, "He'll see it...he'll see it.."

Now I can get some sleep at night

Bwhahaha glad you can sleep now

Btw this thread is 2 months old
Old 12/13/12, 12:34 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Bwhahaha glad you can sleep now

Btw this thread is 2 months old
Baahahah I didn't even notice that! I thought it was new!
Old 12/13/12, 01:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko

This X1000.

Last edited by SennaF1; 12/13/12 at 01:14 PM.