2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help- Service Issue (overheating)

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/10, 06:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help- Service Issue (overheating)

Hey guys,

I know this can go in the warranty/service section but need to get some views and discussion. So if it can stay here for a few days- thanks!

So about 2.5 months ago my car overheated- 1 day after we had some serious flash floods and I took on some (mainly cosmetic) water damage to the front You can read about it in my thread... but the only mechanical thing was the fact it overheated.

Needless to say, all fixes were not under warranty. As it was my fault for driving it- fine. But I was told it's all fixed up and back to running 100%. (it was just a fuse they replaced... )

So then this past saturday- car overheated again- turns out fuse blew once more and now some of the fan melted along with a wiring harnesses and modules or so...

So my question is- should this new incident be covered under the warranty? or not?

I can afford the fix (in and around $1000)- but why should I be out a grand for something that should have been discovered before? Especially since it was in for the same reason and I was told it was fixed. Cuz if the fuse blows again and things melt again- looks be I'm paying once more... but i'm being told it's runing normal...

I just didn't grasp the idea of this. Any and all insights or past experiences would be great

thanks!!

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 10/11/10 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10/11/10, 07:41 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If their repair was faulty the first time and caused this second over heat, they should foot the bill
Old 10/11/10, 08:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
If their repair was faulty the first time and caused this second over heat, they should foot the bill

A few years ago I had my Ranger at the dealer for a repair (can't remember what now), but they had to disconnect the fuel line coming from the gas tank. I picked it up at lunch time and drove it home. After lunch when I came out, gas was pouring down my drive way. I had it towed to the dealer, the mechanic had not properly connected the line and it had come loose. They fixed it right this time (free) and reimbursed me for the tow. If you pay for a repair, they should stand behind their work!
Old 10/11/10, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

If the car overheats why wouldn't it be covered under warranty? Did you drive very far with the temperature gauge in the red?
Old 10/11/10, 10:08 PM
Cobra R Member

^^ Maybe about a half mile. I coasted into a gas station. Let the engine cool for 2.5 hours. Aided by pouring water on it...

Bought proper yellow coolant. Filled it up drove to the dealer (2 miles away) where the temp gage never went higher than midpoint. But 1/3 of it boiled out

They're telling me due to the 'pre existing condition' that this happened once before due to a non warranty issuse that their (2nd) repair isn't covered either. But it's spose to fix it just as the first time was...
Old 10/11/10, 10:44 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they serious? Those bastards charged you the first time for their repair and their repair didn't work. They should fix their 'fix' at no cost to you IMO. Although admittedly I don't know the legalities around it
Old 10/12/10, 04:36 AM
Bullitt Member

IMO it could have been covered under comprehensive on your insurance.
Years back, my wife ran oner a rock that punched a hole in the pan. Long story short, she blew the engine AND ruined the turbo on her 2001 VW bug. $7000.00 to fix. Ins. Co. paid it all !
Old 10/12/10, 06:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Are they serious? Those bastards charged you the first time for their repair and their repair didn't work. They should fix their 'fix' at no cost to you IMO. Although admittedly I don't know the legalities around it
This is exactly how I feel on it- like for me to keep repeating it aloud sounds rediculous each time. But just as you I'm not aware of any of the legalities and fine print stuff- so figured I'd ask around on here...

I'll talk to them more in depth tonight... either way it's getting fixed. Again.
Old 10/12/10, 02:26 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I hope this doesn't apply to you but, every car i have had in my life (3) that has overheated (bad water pump) ended up with a warped head for some reason.