2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

heated seats burned a hole in my sweater

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/15, 07:44 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I've seen this before on GM vehicles. The element is shorted out. Didn't look but I hope it's under warranty still.
Old 1/12/15, 08:01 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 627 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I've seen this before on GM vehicles. The element is shorted out. Didn't look but I hope it's under warranty still.
Yeah, but on GM vehicles that faulty ignition switch usually shuts everything off before it can burn a hole through the seat.
Old 1/12/15, 08:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,635 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
The driver seat in my Explorer did the same thing a while back. It would get so damned hot it was burning your legs and ****, then it quit working.
Had the same thing happen in my Explorer as well!
Old 1/16/15, 10:32 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gobraphil
Has anyone had any issues with the heated seats in these cars? During this recent cold snap, I turned on my heated seats and it got really hot on my skin, to the point if burning my back. I turned off the seat and checked when I got to work and there is a nickel size burn hole on my seat! My sweater had singe marks where it had also gotten hot , almost to the point of combustion. This is a serious safety issue in my book!
Originally Posted by gobraphil
This is the pic of said fire hazard.
Attachment 167421
Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer, gobraphil? Also, will you please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number?

Deysha
Old 1/17/15, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, there definitely has to be something amiss there! After 18 months or so of owning my '14, the only thing that has been more disappointing than the lackluster performance of the heaters in the seats (really, I gave up Recaros for THIS) is the slow speed of the windshield wipers!

For sure, as Deysha suggests, I would visit the dealer on this one!
Old 1/18/15, 07:43 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Ouch....defect for sure.

My late father always bought "practical" cars....not necessarily cheap, just basic rides with a few amenities. A year before he passed away he asked me to go with him to look at a new Taurus at a Ford/L-M dealer. He fell in love with a Lincoln LS instead that was on the floor but he didn't want to pull the trigger because it had heated seats.

He explained to the salesman (and me) that as a radio-gunner on a B17 in WWII the crew had to wear heated flight suits because the planes weren't pressurized. On one mission the heating element in his suit malfunctioned and it burned his **** over Berlin. He told us how he had to operate the radio and shoot at German planes in between electrical shocks to his butt. It was a really funny story, one that I'd never heard before, and he had me and the salesman ROLTF.

For that reason he refused to get the car so I suggested that the heated seats in the Lincoln be disconnected. That convinced him it would be OK, and he took delivery later that day.
Old 1/18/15, 09:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Ouch....defect for sure.

My late father always bought "practical" cars....not necessarily cheap, just basic rides with a few amenities. A year before he passed away he asked me to go with him to look at a new Taurus at a Ford/L-M dealer. He fell in love with a Lincoln LS instead that was on the floor but he didn't want to pull the trigger because it had heated seats.

He explained to the salesman (and me) that as a radio-gunner on a B17 in WWII the crew had to wear heated flight suits because the planes weren't pressurized. On one mission the heating element in his suit malfunctioned and it burned his **** over Berlin. He told us how he had to operate the radio and shoot at German planes in between electrical shocks to his butt. It was a really funny story, one that I'd never heard before, and he had me and the salesman ROLTF.

For that reason he refused to get the car so I suggested that the heated seats in the Lincoln be disconnected. That convinced him it would be OK, and he took delivery later that day.
Thanks for the story
Old 3/18/15, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually starting to have the same problem! My drivers seat got so hot this morning that it felt like someone was poking a cigarette into my back, but I shut it off as soon as I smelled burning. I am completely out of factory 3/36k warranty so when I called my local Ford dealer they told me that I was out of luck and that I would have to pay to get it repaired...

My issue is that I feel that it's a safety issue that could start a fire if left unchecked, and after seeing your seat it kinda scares me...
Old 3/18/15, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
This thread name reminds me of a Weezer song... which in turn reminds me of my ex girlfriend ... which kind of makes me want to set myself on fire... anyway... back to the thread.
Old 3/18/15, 08:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
This thread name reminds me of a Weezer song... which in turn reminds me of my ex girlfriend ... which kind of makes me want to set myself on fire... anyway... back to the thread.
Would that song be Hash Pipe ?
Old 3/19/15, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Would that song be Hash Pipe ?
Undone. You know, "if you want to destroy my sweater" song.
Old 3/24/15, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just tried mine out for the first time. TOO HOT!!! The car had not even warmed up either.
I can still feel it.
Ditto for my Fiesta.
I usually turn them off before that.
Any easy way to disconnect them?