Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good lord I can't handle this seatbelt, its sawing into my neck!

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/14, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good lord I can't handle this seatbelt, its sawing into my neck!

I have tried about every adjustment with my seat but the friggin seat belt is still gnawing through my jugular vein!!
I am 6'1" and 275 so by no means a small guy.

Anyone got a trick to get the belt to sit better across the shoulder?
Old 8/2/14, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you tried raising or lowering your seat?
Old 8/2/14, 05:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I am 5'9 and it does it to me too. Drives me crazy. I have a 2006 and a 2014 both do the same thing. I was thinking about getting a seat belt pad? Any one use one before?
Old 8/2/14, 06:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It is very annoying. I don't want to use a pad, and the seat is as low as it goes and I don't want to change that just for a seatbelt (although I'd make it lower if I could...).
Old 8/2/14, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Heh, I'm 5'11ish and it doesn't both me at all...
Old 8/2/14, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might try one of those sheepskin pads they use on golf bags' straps.
Old 8/2/14, 09:38 PM
V6 Member

I bought a couple seat belt clips off ebay they let you move the strap down keeps it off my neck. Work well but they are plastic and do break over time
Old 8/2/14, 10:33 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech
I have tried about every adjustment with my seat but the friggin seat belt is still gnawing through my jugular vein!!

Lose 75 pounds. Your neck will thank you, your body will thank you and you'll feel better all around.

I did, mine did, and mine does.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 8/2/14 at 10:34 PM.
Old 8/2/14, 11:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I use a microfiber pad and it's a big help, lemme tell ya.

The only thing I don't like about using that thing is the seatbelt is always loose when retracted, but smallish price to pay to not have my neck sawed off.
Old 8/3/14, 04:11 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm just 5'9", 150 lbs. My seat belt doesn't rub my neck or bother me in any way. I have my seat lowered all the way.

Last edited by David Young; 8/3/14 at 04:13 AM.
Old 8/3/14, 04:18 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 6'2" and have the same problem with the seatbelt in my 2014, then again my 5'3" wife has the same issue. I was surprised there was no way to adjust the belt up or down on the pillar. Might as well post to be around for a possible solution.
Old 8/3/14, 04:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Lose 75 pounds. Your neck will thank you, your body will thank you and you'll feel better all around.

I did, mine did, and mine does.
Grifftech, I have the same problem (6', 300lb) and I hate to say that Rather B. Blown is right.

It is immediately apparent in this video I saw on Reddit. A tiny dude gives a giant a lift in his GT500...

Next door Neighbors Reaction to GT500:

But you need a short term solution like me. I bought two Sparco seat belt pads from UPR and they work two ways. You can place it where the seat belt meets your neck (thus decreasing the sharp edge), or you can place it across your chest where friction will keep it place for the most part.

I read on another thread (I think here?) that the seat belt extender you can get from Ford for free also helps. I just picked mine up today but haven't had a chance to test it. I will let you know if it works. I believe it might because it allows you to move the attachment point further forward on your body, which is where it attaches for a skinny guy as well...
Old 8/3/14, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Grifftech, I have the same problem (6', 300lb) and I hate to say that Rather B. Blown is right.

It is immediately apparent in this video I saw on Reddit. A tiny dude gives a giant a lift in his GT500...

Next door Neighbors Reaction to GT500: http://youtu.be/7LFviiJotDo

But you need a short term solution like me. I bought two Sparco seat belt pads from UPR and they work two ways. You can place it where the seat belt meets your neck (thus decreasing the sharp edge), or you can place it across your chest where friction will keep it place for the most part.

I read on another thread (I think here?) that the seat belt extender you can get from Ford for free also helps. I just picked mine up today but haven't had a chance to test it. I will let you know if it works. I believe it might because it allows you to move the attachment point further forward on your body, which is where it attaches for a skinny guy as well...
Yes I want to lose some weight which has many benefits. But even that little guy in this video you can see the edge of the belt is right close to his neck still.

I have always been a big guys and the 4 cars I have had over the last 10 years the 2 Mustangs had the worse seat belts.

Gonna try those plastic clips for now. Heck I may even find the right spot where that plastic clip would make it comfortable for me and wrap a bit of Gorilla Tape around it there to hold it
Old 8/3/14, 09:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980

Next door Neighbors Reaction to GT500: http://youtu.be/7LFviiJotDo
now that is some awesome **** right there LOL!
Old 8/3/14, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT

now that is some awesome **** right there LOL!
LOL, I thought it was also a good excuse to share the video.

But since I got my car I've been like "WTF seat belt?" When I saw this video I understood. My wife is a similar build so regardless of what we should do (and are doing) with our health, I needed to find a solution so we could enjoy the car. The seat belt pads are an excellent start. Still haven't done the extender to see how that works. Busy weekend away from the car.
Old 8/3/14, 12:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech

I'm 5'7" 158# and it bugs the **** out of me. It is my only complaint. My 2010 Chrysler winter car does not pull any where near as tight so its just a Ford screw up.

Originally Posted by houtex
I use a microfiber pad and it's a big help, lemme tell ya.

The only thing I don't like about using that thing is the seatbelt is always loose when retracted, but smallish price to pay to not have my neck sawed off.
Even with the pad it still bothers my shoulder/neck.
So now I slide the pad all the way back against the slider and clamp one of those metal paper binder clips to hold it in place, leaving about an inch of slack across my chest. The belt still locks up when you hit the brakes hard so there is no reason for Ford to ignore driver comfort this way.

Yes the slack belt is a pain gettin in and out but worth it like you said.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/3/14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 8/3/14, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'm 5'7" 158# and it bugs the **** out of me. It is my only complaint. My 2010 Chrysler winter car does not pull any where near as tight so its just a Ford screw up. Even with the pad it still bothers my shoulder/neck. So now I slide the pad all the way back against the slider and clamp one of those metal paper binder clips to hold it in place, leaving about an inch of slack across my chest. The belt still locks up when you hit the brakes hard so there is no reason for Ford to ignore driver comfort this way. Yes the slack belt is a pain gettin in and out but worth it like you said.
so is the seatbelt of death just 05 up or what? I have no problems with mine.

Last edited by Supersnake04; 8/3/14 at 03:14 PM.
Old 8/3/14, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
5"9" and I don't even notice it...maybe it depends on the seat settings...
Old 8/3/14, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
so is the seatbelt of death just 05 up or what? I have no problems with mine.
Yes. The 94-04 was bad enough. They made it WORSE in 05. I can't believe that. The stupid plastic arm thing feels so cheap. I'm SO careful with it if I need to move it. I feel like it's going to break every time I put my seatbelt on. And where I sit, I can barely reach it. It's literally the dumbest thing on these cars.
Old 8/3/14, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Yes. The 94-04 was bad enough. They made it WORSE in 05. I can't believe that. The stupid plastic arm thing feels so cheap. I'm SO careful with it if I need to move it. I feel like it's going to break every time I put my seatbelt on. And where I sit, I can barely reach it. It's literally the dumbest thing on these cars.
could someone post a picture of it? I don't really think the sn95s seat belts are too bad, the loop holds it pretty well unless you want to move the seat foreword to let someone in that cramped fabric covered shelf they call a rear seat, then it's enough to **** you off, Ha.

Quick Reply: Good lord I can't handle this seatbelt, its sawing into my neck!