2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

glass roof?

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/12, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moustang
Funny thing though, not one person ended up "just about dead". But then again, they all seem to have had a metal roof over their head.
Funny thing, though, notice that in every single one of those pictures the windshield is unbroken. The glass roof is thicker than the windshield, and - unlike the back window, and like the windshield, has a safety layer in it. Again, if it is strong enough to punch through the glass roof, it is likely strong enough to punch through the metal roof.

Find another excuse. Being cheap/poor is a valid excuse; fear-mongering is not. Just admit that you are too cheap to get it.
Old 7/19/12, 08:00 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18

Funny thing, though, notice that in every single one of those pictures the windshield is unbroken. The glass roof is thicker than the windshield, and - unlike the back window, and like the windshield, has a safety layer in it. Again, if it is strong enough to punch through the glass roof, it is likely strong enough to punch through the metal roof.

Find another excuse. Being cheap/poor is a valid excuse; fear-mongering is not. Just admit that you are too cheap to get it.
Old 7/19/12, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

And the roof is more than twice the size of the windshield with no added support and reinforcement, and unlike the windshield, the roof is relatively flat and horizontal. Laws of physics says it would be much easier to shatter and crush.

Surely you understand the basic principles of deflection, right? How a glancing blow does less damage than taking the full force of the blow, right?

But believe what you want if it makes you feel better.
Old 7/19/12, 10:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Do you REALLY think Ford hasn't tested the glass roof in states with this kind of weather??
Old 7/19/12, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Do you REALLY think Ford hasn't tested the glass roof in states with this kind of weather??
Do I think Ford shot softball sized pieces of ice at the glass roof at over 100 MPH?

No.

And if you don't think hail can smash your front windshield in, then skip to 1:15 and..... enjoy.

Do I think that everyone having a glass roof is bad? Not at all. But I do happen to live someplace that does get softball sized hail storms every 3-4 years. One of the hail storms we had earlier this year was large and strong enough to demolish the roof of my house, which required a replacement of not only the shingles and padding, but also the plywood underneath. That roofing is strong enough that you could stand on it and jump up and down, which I wouldn't advise trying on the glass roof of a Mustang.

Call me crazy if you like, but I've had glass T-tops shattered above my head, I'm not getting another car with glass above my head.

Last edited by Moustang; 7/19/12 at 10:52 PM.
Old 7/20/12, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I think Ford shot softball sized pieces of ice at the glass roof at over 100 MPH?

No.

And if you don't think hail can smash your front windshield in, then skip to 1:15 and..... enjoy.

Extreme Hail / Car Destroyed - Ogallala, NE - June 27, 1999 - YouTube

Do I think that everyone having a glass roof is bad? Not at all. But I do happen to live someplace that does get softball sized hail storms every 3-4 years. One of the hail storms we had earlier this year was large and strong enough to demolish the roof of my house, which required a replacement of not only the shingles and padding, but also the plywood underneath. That roofing is strong enough that you could stand on it and jump up and down, which I wouldn't advise trying on the glass roof of a Mustang.

Call me crazy if you like, but I've had glass T-tops shattered above my head, I'm not getting another car with glass above my head.
1) Notice in that video, it's the thin rear window that broken open; the front windshield did not break through, it "dented" and caved in, much like your steel sheet does too. only difference being steel sheet does not show crack marks, if it breaks it just tears. it is worth mention that glass can have better resistance to piercing than metal when a point force is applied.

2) You get caught in a hail storm like that your car is gonna be a mess either way. Saying that the steel sheet roof is more protective than a glassroof is like saying: I have a lessened chance of catching AIDS if i wear double/tripple-condom - it's the fuking same as just wearing one.
Old 7/20/12, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glass roof is awesome but chances are if u drive any car out during hail the windshield will break making it impossible to see so having glass roof shouldn't be the major issue here
Old 7/20/12, 10:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
The little tin metal above your head isn't going to protect you any more or any less in a rollover. People who use that as an excuse haven't got a clue - if safety were a problem, it wouldn't be approved for sale.
Um, just because they can both be sold to the public doesnt mean theyre of equal safety value, but everyones got their priorities. Mine is keeping my head on at WOT, not impressing girls with my car. I got that covered without it.

Last edited by wheelman; 7/20/12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 7/20/12, 12:51 PM

K the argument that the glass roof isn't strong or would shatter in a roll over is a bs argument...I found this on another forum, look at post #43. The guy was IN THE CAR when a tree came down and he had the glass roof.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ss-roof-3.html
Old 7/20/12, 01:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alot of valid points

but i would still be like OMG...hail and glass don't mix...and i would hate to scrape it in the winter
Old 7/20/12, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 11883
K the argument that the glass roof isn't strong or would shatter in a roll over is a bs argument...I found this on another forum, look at post #43. The guy was IN THE CAR when a tree came down and he had the glass roof.

Good find! Personally, I love my glass roof... I like having the sunlight come through, and it gives me the extra head room I need (I'm 6'4'').
Old 7/20/12, 05:29 PM
GT Member

No.

Extreme Hail / Car Destroyed - Ogallala, NE - June 27, 1999 - YouTube

You're crazy (just kidding). Really, there's much more to be concerned about in your average (major) wrecks than glass above your head shattering. You do realize that all glass in autos/trucks is tempered - when it shatters, it does so with rounded edges so as to minimize cuts. And complete shattering is rare - it tends to hold together due to the bonds formed by the glass molecules in the tempering process. I've been in a wreck where I shattered the windshield with my head (the days before shoulder belts and airbags), and I barely felt it - I'd much rather hit that then unforgiving metal.
Old 7/20/12, 09:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
Um, just because they can both be sold to the public doesnt mean theyre of equal safety value, but everyones got their priorities. Mine is keeping my head on at WOT, not impressing girls with my car. I got that covered without it.
Lol cool, happy for you. And as has been mentioned, the glass roof is stronger than the metal roof. It's a lot thicker, and tempered. It sure as hell wouldn't be a $2k option if it wasn't just as safe, if not safer than the regular roof. Let's get a Ford Customer Service Rep's opinion in this thread!
Old 7/20/12, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

Wait till ya go through softball sized hail. Couple years ago we had a stormcut loose on us softball sized hail slamming into the brick walls of your house is not a nice sound. That storm not only blew out rear glass it punched holes through front glass. Lotta cars were destroyed in a half mile by quarter mile strip includin some new cars on lots. Same storm threw softball sized haill through house windows too. A storm thatmaes hail that big has some power to it and can do anything including punch through the laminated front glass.
Old 7/21/12, 12:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Anything capable of severely damaging the glass roof is going to ruin the thin sheet metal roof too. But here's the thing. That sheet metal roof is going to have to be cut out and replaced or pounded back into shape, filler, welding, painting. There's a lot of body work involved. Glass roof? It's a window replacement. Much easier.

Safety wise, thin sheet metal doesn't do much of anything. The layered glass is going to be far tougher. The Mustang's roof structure is roll cage form. What's in the center is meaningless from a car structure point of view.

See a glass roof after a tree fell on it:

Last edited by 97GT12; 7/21/12 at 01:53 AM.
Old 7/21/12, 02:16 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
If you are afraid of dying in a hail storm you might want to rethink driving at all. You are far, far more
likely to die driving to the store for milk.
Old 7/21/12, 04:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
If you are afraid of dying in a hail storm you might want to rethink driving at all. You are far, far more
likely to die driving to the store for milk.
Lol. Thats what I've been thinking this entire thread. What if there is an earthquake and a giant crack opens in the ground and your car falls in!! what about a meteor shower or tornado? not buying a glass roof due to fear of giant hail is ridiculous.
Old 7/21/12, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I have wanted a glass roof ever since I saw one on a Saleen Mustang....which correct me if I'm wrong, was the first "tuner" company to offer it.

But I regress...

I love the reaction I get from people when they realize I have a glass roof. That’s because the roof blends in with the Kona so well, that people don't realize I have it...So I'll invite them to sit in my car and tell them to look up…some of the reactions are priceless. And when I visit Dallas, and drive downtown around at night, WOW!
Well, that's my two cents…Lou
Old 7/21/12, 08:00 AM

the mustang has about a zero risk of roll over..
Old 7/21/12, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by krypton
the mustang has about a zero risk of roll over..
Under normal circumstances, yes. But if it gets sideways, then hits a curb, it's going to flip. No car is immune to that. All that energy has to go somewhere.

Quick Reply: glass roof?