2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

glass roof?

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/12, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glass roof?

ive noticed a lot of people, if not just about everyone here doesnt have the glass roof option.

why?

justify spending the 2gs on something else? added weight? afraid of it breaking? whats the deal?

i ordered one with mine(hopefully its gonna be here when they say it should be here) and this is one of the things that im most excited about
Old 7/17/12, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2g was alot for somethin i would be more worried about during hail storms lol
Old 7/17/12, 10:52 AM

2k is definitely not something you can just dismiss for what is essentially a cosmetic upgrade (especially when you can get wheels and tires for under that price that radically transform your vehicle under that price point) - however, having said that - I have the glass roof on my '13 and thoroughly enjoy it. I feel that it is worth every penny.

A few things that swayed me:
1) X-plan pricing essentially made it a 'free' upgrade.
2) It is a stellar compromise for those who don't want to spend the 5k+ on the convertible, and don't want the hassle of maintaining the cloth while still going for an open view.
3) It certainly opens up the car in a big way. I was dead set on purchasing a Camaro - I loved the exterior and I was fine (to a degree) with the retro interior. However, I felt trapped in that drivers seat and the windshield narrowness further added to that feeling. When I sat in the '13 and pulled back the mesh covering for the roof, it felt like I was driving an entirely different car. It's certainly not something a driver should be paying attention to (as passenger's can - it has been the #1 complimented item on the car above the new wheels and tires) - but you feel it there really adding a whole new dimension to the feel of driving. It can get hot sometimes especially with leather, but having the sun come in through the roof is a pretty neat feeling.
Old 7/17/12, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 2K it was either the Electronic Package or the Glass Roof. I decided for the EP since the I didn't like the fact the glass doesn't open.
Old 7/17/12, 11:23 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
2k is a lot of money

but aside from that, it's a flippin sweet option. Plenty of sunshine when you want it, pull over the shade when you dont, and if you're like me, it actually gives you more headroom in the vehicle. I badly wish I could have one in my 04.
Old 7/17/12, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by krypton
ive noticed a lot of people, if not just about everyone here doesnt have the glass roof option.

why?
Because I want to live through our next hail storm.

Old 7/17/12, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Truthfully for me its a cool option but I like a coupe to be a coupe. I can see how it def makes you feel more open, however my budget just did not allow for that kinda option and much rather save the money to change out the Driveshaft, install a good CAI etc...
Old 7/17/12, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

I got one, it's great! It makes the interior feel much more open and bright. Passengers love to lay back and stare out.
Old 7/17/12, 12:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have the Glass Roof and I'm very happy with it. It was money well spent in my book.
Old 7/17/12, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

i love mine, it makes the whole car feel so much nicer
Old 7/17/12, 12:23 PM
V6 Member

It's not really $2000, right? I thought it was more like $1700. I love my glass roof. So glad I added it last minute!

The only thing I regret sometimes is not getting the Electronics Package. But right now I'm convinced that I don't need it and it's too expensive. My next car will definitely have it though. lol
Old 7/17/12, 01:21 PM

i sat in a couple 13 mustangs with out the option.. and i thought it was an awesome car as it was.. then the one i test drove had the glass roof, once i sat in it.. i couldnt wipe the smile off my face.. it wasnt an option for me to NOT get the glass roof.. i would have been cool with a regular sun roof.. but the glass roof is cool.. a little bummer that it doesnt open like someone else mentioned.. but i guess that would have made it more than 2gs to make it like the other companies do..(being 2 parts and the front one opens)

as the days pass, the more excited i get about the car.. and become more antsy
Old 7/17/12, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got it. I love it. The hailstorm excuse is BS. If it's strong enough to break through the glass roof, it's strong enough to break through your windshield as well, and at that point you're about just as dead with or without the glass roof.

I live near an air base at all times, as I'm in naval aviation, and it's very fun being able to look at the airplanes above. I can never go back to a moonroof.
Old 7/17/12, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
Because I want to live through our next hail storm.

Old 7/17/12, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I got it. I love it. The hailstorm excuse is BS. If it's strong enough to break through the glass roof, it's strong enough to break through your windshield as well, and at that point you're about just as dead with or without the glass roof.

And this one belongs to my neighbor.

Dallas, Texas. June 13, 2012

Funny thing though, not one person ended up "just about dead". But then again, they all seem to have had a metal roof over their head.
Old 7/17/12, 08:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Its awesome...just didnt fit into my vision of how a muscle ar should be optioned.

More power to the guys who have them...there are days when i'm envious!
Old 7/17/12, 09:15 PM
GT Member

I think they're really cool looking. We almost bought a Cali special with one, but I really didn't like the fact you couldn't completely block the sun. If it had a blackout shade, we probably would have gone for it. I really wish they offered a regular power sunroof in the Mustang. Never could understand why every other car made just about has one available but the Mustang.
Old 7/17/12, 10:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I love the glass roof, and wish I could have afforded one for my '11 5.0L. Budget just wouldn't allow for it.
Old 7/18/12, 05:30 AM
Cobra Member

If I wanted sun, I'd go the route of a convertible. It's Africa hot here in Florida during the summer, so glass roofs and convertibles are not my thing. If I lived in climates that allowed the sun to warm the day under 100 degrees, I'd be more apt to buy one with the glass roof.
Old 7/18/12, 12:40 PM
GT Member

Ford says that if you get a 300A car, you cannot even have the option of getting the glass roof. Otherwise, I would have gotten it.

Quick Reply: glass roof?