2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Frostbitten from Shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/14, 08:20 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by conv_stang
Two more cylinders would equal more heat Would get that checked...bad thermostat or something keeping the engine from getting to operating temperature or coolant too low
Still dont know what it is. It looks like theres still enough coolant in the tank though. Probably a dumb question but what if i added water to the coolant tank even though theres already some coolant there?
Old 2/3/14, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another vote for the Boss shift ****. My aluminum shift **** was retired after 1 winter and 1 summer season. It is now a decoration in my office.
Old 2/3/14, 08:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Lol... I wasn't the only one who thought this right off the bat. Granted, I was ON the sh**ter when I read it
I bet you were nervous to get up though ... Wondering am I going to be frozen to this or not
Old 2/4/14, 12:09 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
My heater doesnt like to blow hot air unless i keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear and keep the revs above 2k-2.5k
I know thats not normal, can someone please tell me what might be goin on?
Hi CCTking,

I think you should have a Ford Dealer check it out to make sure there’s nothing else going on. Your service manager is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Also, remember most repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 2/6/14, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Op, I bet these cars are like the old ones that have an upper cosmetic shifter boot and a lower environmental shield boot. Maybe that lower one is leaking air.
Old 2/6/14, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
Well that might be a slight exaggeration, but dang if the stock aluminum shift **** in my GT doesn't get freaking freezing cold (and blistering hot in the summer)! On the drive home from work, my hand was numb from holding the shifter (bumper to bumper traffic for 18 miles).

It'd be nice if someone developed something similar to a drink cozy for those round shifters!
Old 2/6/14, 12:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Hurst used to make a T-handle shifter **** for just that reason. It was covered with a material so that it wasn't too hot and wasn't too cold. It was like an early Alcantra leather wrap on it. I still have one somewhere, and when I find it will show a picture. They actually worked rather well.
Old 2/6/14, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
It looks just like this one but has the leather wrap. Also Hurst has the leather style for the shifter still available in the roundish design.
Attached Images   
Old 2/6/14, 09:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
This is the weather today, and my heater just isnt working
I burn so much unneed gas by keeping it at 2.5-3k rpms in order to finally get some heat. Its gone from being annoying to downright frustrating. My 02 never had problems
You should have started a new thread with your heater problem as this thread is about the shifter ****. You'll get better replies that way.

I will try to suggest possible solutions;

Check your antifreeze level; Check antifreeze strength for -35 - 40F.
Do you have dual heat where maybe your turning the wrong controls?---
read owners manual---
Do you have an aftermarket tune which may have the fans set to come on at too low an engine temperature and are running constantly?
You may have a thermostat that is stuck open. Replace with an OEM one.
Has any work been done to you car recently and what was done that might involve the HVAC system?
It is possible the blend air door actuator is malfunctioning and the door is stuck in the cold position. You'll need to troubleshoot for that. Some blend air doors will break at the actuators pivot post but I've never heard of that with the Mustangs yet. I'd be more inclined to think the actuator is defective.

That's what I can think of at the moment. Good Luck.
Old 2/7/14, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope the heater problem gets fixed... that is definitely more annoying than just having a cold shift ****. By way of another first world problem, I found the heated seats to be pretty weak at first- but they seem to be getting warmer lately.

I think I'm going to replace the torture-**** with a Hurst 2 shifter. Should take care of two problems at once (poor shifts and torture ****). There is a note on the description of the Hurst that the shift lever will not accept just any shift ****. I assume a Hurst shift lever will accept any Hurst **** (or T-Handle), right?

Also, while I'm at it I'm considering throwing a shift bracket in there as well...
Old 2/9/14, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Hurst shifter comes with two shafts. The flat 'hurst' chromed old school classic style shaft accepts hurst thread pitch ***** . The other is a black round shaft that fits stock ford ****.