Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

FR Short Throw Shifter/Bracket Installed- mixed review...

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/14, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FR Short Throw Shifter/Bracket Installed- mixed review...

On Friday evening, I installed the Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter & Bracket (from AmericanMuscle- delivered super quick).

The install was relatively easy (if not for my stupidity, it would have been very easy). I watched the install video on CJPony about 8 times till I could recite the steps in my sleep, and then dove in.

My Review:
The Shifter- Nice piece (almost a shame most of it is where you can't see it). It really shortens the throw. First to neutral on the stock shifter is now the distance first to second. Definitely makes power shifting far easier. Also, you definitely know you are in gear (due to a nice loud "CLICK"). For the reverse lock-out (which is retained with this shifter- along with your rear-camera activation), be sure to read the directions and point the guide on the shifter in the right direction. Even so, it is a bit harder to get in reverse- you definitely will no longer be "accidentally" shifting into reverse at a light! I also purchased the rubber padding from AM- to reduce noise at the shifter.

The Bracket- I understand the concept of removing the slop of the stock shifter, but the bracket is a bit on the overkill side, IMO. It definitely connects the shifter to the tranny- so much so that every vibration is routed right into the cabin. If I had gone with just the Track Pack and Recaros, I probably wouldn't have minded the extra noise (sounds sort of cool), but I decked my Mustang out for performance AND luxury- and the sound of the tranny spooling up and down just isn't copacetic with the latter objective!

Also, the feel of the shifter is firmed up so much that I actually missed a shift for the first time in this car on the test drive (no more lazy rowing through the gears with this baby, you will get a workout). All in all, I might could have gotten used to it, but I decided since I was going to be removing the bracket to replace a bolt anyway (see below), I would just reinstall the factory bracket.

Conclusion- love the shorter throws (and the white ball means I won't be burning or freezing my hand on the aluminum shifter anymore ), but you can keep the bracket (literally, you can have it- if you are going to the Charlotte MCA 50th event, just PM me and I'll be happy to give you the bracket if you've been wanting one- I won't be needing it). I did modify the factory bracket a bit (below), and am very happy with its performance now.

The only hiccup occurred during the installation of the bracket. As I was giving one of the bracket bolts just "one more quarter turn" I felt that sickening loss of resistance that means you've broken a bolt. All the instructions I've seen stress not over-tightening the bolts up at the shifter, but you should also be careful with the bolts at the bracket- they are relatively weak.

If you do break a bolt, its not that big of a deal. Just go up top (where you've removed the center panel for the shifter install), figure out where the bolt is under the car (there are two bolts sticking up- these are NOT connected to the bolts underneath- which are about 1" diagonally forward and outboard to these bolts), and drill through the metal and the broken bolt. Then get a good, grade 8 bolt and nut with washers and create a far more robust connection point for the bracket.

As I looked at the factory bracket, it does look- well- rather cheap! Its just a firm piece of rubber literally zip tied to an inexpensive piece of bent steel (come on, Ford- I paid $40k for this car, and you gave me THIS). However, the shifts were never all that sloppy in my car, so I decided to just firm it up a bit. I did this by installing a strip of stiff weatherproofing foam (left over from the resto of my '65). I snipped the zip ties, cut a length of foam, installed it, and re-zipped everything back together. The result- the shifter is a bit firmer, but transmits no additional noise to the cabin.

Anyway, to each his own- I know a lot of folks like the bracket more than the shifter... I just happen to be the other way around. Just my $0.02. It is definitely more fun to row through the gears with the short throw- it just takes a bit of getting used to (the H pattern narrows as well- so the gears are really on top of each other)!

Pete
Attached Thumbnails FR Short Throw Shifter/Bracket Installed- mixed review...-shifter-bracket.jpg   FR Short Throw Shifter/Bracket Installed- mixed review...-shifter-installed-2.jpg  

Last edited by Varilux; 4/6/14 at 12:11 PM.
Old 4/6/14, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how's the notchiness??

#1 thing I hate about the car is the notchiness of the shifter. I always grind the 1-2 when going all out because of the resistance going into gear. Makes me hate the MT-82. I long for the days of when I was shifting with a Tremec T56.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 4/6/14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 4/6/14, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Still just as notchy as it was from the factory- in fact, the FR bracket seemed to make it more so for some reason.

I've done some reading on the subject, and it seems some of the notchiness might be resolvable with different transmission fluid. The 370Z and Audi crowds routinely complain about notchiness as well, and there are several positive reviews from people who have swapped out the trans fluid with Redline products. I'm hesitant to replace the fluid in a car with only 8k on the odometer (and lots of factory warranty left), but I imagine in time I might give it a shot.

The biggest improvement with the short throw is 1st to 2nd. With the 3.73 rear in mine, my time in 1st is almost a blink- and the shifter does reduce the time it takes me to get to 2nd. Now I can get there as fast as it takes me to quickly punch and release the clutch.
Old 4/13/14, 07:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
how's the notchiness??

#1 thing I hate about the car is the notchiness of the shifter. I always grind the 1-2 when going all out because of the resistance going into gear. Makes me hate the MT-82. I long for the days of when I was shifting with a Tremec T56.
Couldn't agree more. I have an MGW and do not suffer from lockouts or anything anymore, but the notchiness... Good god it's terrible. I feel like I'm tearing up my synchros.

I've taken it to the dealership before and they told me it's all fine. I might just throw even more money at this thing in the form of an upgraded clutch line, whiteline mount, and fluid swap.
Old 4/13/14, 09:03 AM
Cobra Member

Nice review! The Barton shifter with 2-post bracket is the loudest of them all. It also has the shortest throws but I wasn't willing to trade that for the noise. If you want to help with the notchiness than change the fluid to Royal purple, Amsoil or redline. It helps a lot. I'm about to install the clutch fluid line next to help it out even more.
Old 4/13/14, 12:30 PM
Banned

ill see if I can find a performance shop in the area so they can change the fluid for me as well as install the MGW when I get to it.

thanks for the advice, folks.
Old 5/12/14, 08:49 PM

Notchy isn't so bad but...

...but the whinny, swishing sound isn't normal is it? The stealership says it's a normal sound. I've driven short throws before and this is not normal! I dropped it off at a different stealership this afternoon to check...it's still under 4000M and under warranty. Anyone else have this issue?

UPDATE: Picked it up this afternoon and the 2nd opinion is that the sound is normal... going to have it checked by independent mechanic

Last edited by Auburn Tom; 5/13/14 at 10:56 PM.