Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Forced induction on a stock 5.0...

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/11, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forced induction on a stock 5.0...

Is it true that the stock connecting rods can't take it? Not even 5-6psi? Fi for shame!

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_25.html
Old 1/24/11, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I read different things but if FR is offering 7psi with warranty, id say you're ok. Im not sure if Roush has released a 2011 stage3 yet but if yes, check if they did any internal mods before bolting on their SC.
Old 1/24/11, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gaspi101
Is it true that the stock connecting rods can't take it? Not even 5-6psi? Fi for shame!

keep in mind the article in question was part of the March 2010 release of the magazine, which means the article was likely written in January 2010. The car had not yet quite been released and no real-world testing had yet ben done.

The Coyote is not an engine designed specifically for boosted application. It's lightweight valvetrain and rotating assembly, as well as it's 11:0 compression ratio is designed to make power and torque without the need for forced induction.

There are cars out there already with blowers on them. Some are making pretty big power. I have heard of one failure. Outfits like MMR are already releasing short and long block upgrades for the engine.

The engine was designed to meet certain requirements for strength, longevity, reliability, power and performance. It does those. To expect a factory engine to reliably withstand the added stresses of super or turbocharging is asking quite a bit more.
Old 1/24/11, 09:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce

keep in mind the article in question was part of the March 2010 release of the magazine, which means the article was likely written in January 2010. The car had not yet quite been released and no real-world testing had yet ben done.

The Coyote is not an engine designed specifically for boosted application. It's lightweight valvetrain and rotating assembly, as well as it's 11:0 compression ratio is designed to make power and torque without the need for forced induction.

There are cars out there already with blowers on them. Some are making pretty big power. I have heard of one failure. Outfits like MMR are already releasing short and long block upgrades for the engine.

The engine was designed to meet certain requirements for strength, longevity, reliability, power and performance. It does those. To expect a factory engine to reliably withstand the added stresses of super or turbocharging is asking quite a bit more.
Great answer. Thanks.
Old 1/24/11, 09:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are tons of superchargers and turbos already available. It can handle it
Old 1/24/11, 10:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually, one of the main goals of the project was to get an engine that could easily be modified later on without much expense in completely redisigning the engine later. Even if some of the internals do end up needing to be changed out, the 5.0 has more than enough ability to handle turbo or superchargers reliably. How many pounds people can get reliably, I think is still up in the air, but 7 pounds should be very resonable. If I had to change out pistons or rods to get the ability to safely and reliably handle more, the rest of the engine will hold up well to it. This is an engine designed for a Mustang. How in the world would they ever really build an engine that you cannot supercharge?
Old 1/25/11, 04:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
I just got the Email saying Roush released its Supercharger yesterday
Add serious power to your 2011 5.0L Ford Mustang with the Calibrated ROUSH 2011 Mustang Supercharger Kit. This supercharger delivers 525+ horsepower to the 2011-2012 Ford Mustang GT with the 5.0L, 4-valve V8 powertrain.

The Calibrated ROUSH 2011 Mustang Supercharger Kit belongs to the TVS (Twin Vortices Series) line of superchargers developed by ROUSH that have set new standards for performance and reliability. This line of superchargers has been used and proven for years in ROUSH-built high horsepower vehicles.
• Produces 525+ hp and 465 ft-lbs of torque
• ROUSH R2300 2011 Mustang Supercharger Tuner Kit
• Featuring Eaton TVS Technology
• Heavy duty 1st sheave FEAD system
• Twin Vortices Series features four-lobe rotors and high-flow inlet and outlet ports -- greatly enhancing thermal efficiency, resulting in greater volumetric capacity at higher RPM
• Twin 60mm throttle body
• Larger intercooler, low temp radiator, and degas bottle
• Low restriction ROUSH air induction system
• Highly refined ROUSH PCM calibration
• Designed for the 2011-2012 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L-4v engine
• For manual transmission only
• CARB E.O. Pending -- Not currently for sale in California or other "green" states
• Backed by ROUSHs 3 year / 36,000 mile limited parts warranty (See ROUSH Warranty for details)
• Part #421142
Price: $6,099.00
http://store.roushperformance.com/de...ign=newsletter

And they are claiming 525 HP
Old 1/25/11, 05:30 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Short answer: People who sell forged rotating kits pay the bills at the magazine so its in our best interest to pimp forged rotating kits.
Old 1/25/11, 08:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I just got the Email saying Roush released its Supercharger yesterday

http://store.roushperformance.com/de...ign=newsletter

And they are claiming 525 HP
Beautiful! And it's only for the low low price of a 2002 mustang gt! Would love to have it, but I really can't justify that kind of dough to the wife....
Old 1/25/11, 08:58 AM
Banned

Beautiful! And it's only for the low low price of a 2002 mustang gt! Would love to have it, but I really can't justify that kind of dough to the wife....
Save up $8,000

Buy your wife a $2,000 ring

Tell her you spent $8,000 on a ring

Happy Driving!
Old 1/25/11, 09:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Save up $8,000

Happy Driving!
Brilliant!
Old 1/25/11, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
There are tons of superchargers and turbos already available. It can handle it
The mustang world knows that there are numerous FI 5.0's out there. I think the big question is how long they will last? Yeah every tuner is claiming that their blower and tune are safe but none of them have put their forced induction solution through anything NEAR as rigorous as ford's engine dyno stress testing. I want to see one of these companies simulate 150K miles of wear and tear and do the thermal shock testing that ford does on their engines.

I can't remember where I read it or who posted it but some rod manufacturing company claims that the stock rods let go at around 450 rwhp.

by the time my power train warranty is up, we'll know for sure how reliable the rods are. That's when I'll be making a decision on whether or not to keep the car and whether to go FI or not.

I know it's wishful thinking but if there were a factory option to add the forged manley rods into the car's build for say, an extra $1000, just imagine how many guys would be jumping all over that! those manelys cost ford $55 each. The stock rods they use instead only cost them $1.60.

You can see why the bean counters are happy but surely them making an extra $600+ (if this were a build option) per car would have to please SOMEONE! .. besides the owner of the car...
Old 1/25/11, 10:00 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
The mustang world knows that there are numerous FI 5.0's out there. I think the big question is how long they will last? Yeah every tuner is claiming that their blower and tune are safe but none of them have put their forced induction solution through anything NEAR as rigorous as ford's engine dyno stress testing. I want to see one of these companies simulate 150K miles of wear and tear and do the thermal shock testing that ford does on their engines.

I can't remember where I read it or who posted it but some rod manufacturing company claims that the stock rods let go at around 450 rwhp.

by the time my power train warranty is up, we'll know for sure how reliable the rods are. That's when I'll be making a decision on whether or not to keep the car and whether to go FI or not.

I know it's wishful thinking but if there were a factory option to add the forged manley rods into the car's build for say, an extra $1000, just imagine how many guys would be jumping all over that! those manelys cost ford $55 each. The stock rods they use instead only cost them $1.60.

You can see why the bean counters are happy but surely them making an extra $600+ (if this were a build option) per car would have to please SOMEONE! .. besides the owner of the car...
Just look at the whipples FRPP offers. It's gone through the stress testing. Only time will tell, but I'd say the whipple w/ the warranty offered from FRPP is a safe bet. Or the roush mentioned in here.

I'd be weary of all kits pushing 600+hp without changing out some parts. But there's no doubt in my mind this engine is stout and was engineered w/ the aftermarket in mind.
Old 1/25/11, 10:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Who told you FI was cheap? unless you want to go ebay
Old 1/25/11, 10:28 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To expect a factory engine to reliably withstand the added stresses of super or turbocharging is asking quite a bit more.
Agreed.
This is what kind of surprised me about the 5.0 vs 4.6. The stock internals have them capped and about the same maximum limits.
Stock for stock the 5.0 is a big gain with an extra 100HP right out of the box. But due to its higher compression ratio, the maximum limits are near the same. Perhaps the 5.0 rods are slightly stronger, but not enough to get much beyond the 'safe' 500HP maximum that the 4.6 was typically stated to be. Maybe 525 or 550?
Anything much beyond that needs stronger internals on both engines to avoid catastrophic failures.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/25/11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 1/25/11, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Just look at the whipples FRPP offers. It's gone through the stress testing. Only time will tell, but I'd say the whipple w/ the warranty offered from FRPP is a safe bet. Or the roush mentioned in here.
Interesting thread... I was hoping to supercharge my 5L sometime next year; I'd like to see how this all plays out... might be taking the N/A route now
Old 1/25/11, 01:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
Interesting thread... I was hoping to supercharge my 5L sometime next year; I'd like to see how this all plays out... might be taking the N/A route now
By next year I think you'll have a good idea of what is safe and what isnt. What people don't realize about the new 5.0 is that is much more sophisticated than just its physical parts. The pcm is much much better too. I think most people will be pleasantly surprised by how much power it can make on lower levels of boost as compared to the 4.6
Old 1/25/11, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Save up $8,000

Happy Driving!
If you're not a marriage counselor, you need to be! Now about peace in the Middle East.... got plans for the week end?
Old 1/25/11, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

Expecting 150,000 miles from an aftermarket supercharger/turbocharger-equipped Mustang is well, for lack of better word, stupid.

If someone is claiming the stock rods will go at 450rwhp, well, I guess all of the guys running long tubes, intake and tunes will need to start worrying, since they put down around 430-435rwhp. God forbid someone should add the new BOSS manifold into the mix, for they will surely cause their Coyote to explode into bits!

Be more realistic here. The Coyote's rods are not forged, no, but they aren't weak, either. The GT500 has been known to hold ridiculous amounts of power on the stock block, even though it does not have (in the traditional sense) forged rods, they are basically glorified powdered rods.

tl;dr Stop feeding people this nonsense

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Agreed.
This is what kind of surprised me about the 5.0 vs 4.6. The stock internals have them capped and about the same maximum limits.
Stock for stock the 5.0 is a big gain with an extra 100HP right out of the box. But due to its higher compression ratio, the maximum limits are near the same. Perhaps the 5.0 rods are slightly stronger, but not enough to get much beyond the 'safe' 500HP maximum that the 4.6 was typically stated to be. Maybe 525 or 550?
Anything much beyond that needs stronger internals on both engines to avoid catastrophic failures.
I would have to question where exactly you are pulling these figures from? The only boosted 5.0 that I know of that has blown up so far was pushing uh, 800rwhp? Posts like these only add to conspiracy.
Old 1/25/11, 04:02 PM
GT Member

I've been a long time reader of 5.0 Magazine and still have this issue. There were a few statements in the article on the new 5.0 that now seem to be not on par. Everything I have seen is that these engines are easily capable of taking 7-8 psi. I think this will turn out to be a conservative number.

Quick Reply: Forced induction on a stock 5.0...