Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

DORA the Explora; What do they look like? Here you go!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/10, 12:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Centurionusa
The one thing that confused me when I ordered my 05' and confuses me now with ordering my '11 is why exactly is there so much difficulty or even tom foolery (haven't used that phrase in a while) understanding if an order is in or when you might estimate receiving it. At the dealer level is there any benefit to them not prioritizing orders as they get them? Is it hard for the dealer or ford to estimate your build date because different dealers get preference over other dealers?

I know car production is complex but I sure would like Ford to manage my expectations like the computer companies do when I order something online.
Hey bud, its all based on allocation, and right now, the fact that Ford is NOT scheduling any retail orders. Only stock units. This goes for the entire country. Sure, a dealer could order a car for "john smith" and then turn it into a stock unit for him, but he may not get the car any quicker. Like Paul said in another thread, the stock units will be built 1st, and then they sit while they do quality control. If a retail is parked in several rows deep, that car won't be moving for some time till they get all the cars behind it out. Slow and steady always wins the race.
Old 3/15/10, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is serialization? "submit an order for serialization, they give the order a "01" on a Thursday night. This means they are previewing the order for serialization"

In the attachment the date of the DORA processed is 2/11 but the order receipt date is 2/3. Later in the thread you say the DORA is printed the day after the order is placed. Well 2/11 is not the day after 2/3, or is the DORA processed date different than the DORA date? What is the difference in the two DORA's?

A question on the order number. Is the order number predetermined by the computer when you fill out the order or is it a number that your dealership is allotted by Ford or by the region?
Old 3/16/10, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RMS70
What is serialization? "submit an order for serialization, they give the order a "01" on a Thursday night. This means they are previewing the order for serialization"

In the attachment the date of the DORA processed is 2/11 but the order receipt date is 2/3. Later in the thread you say the DORA is printed the day after the order is placed. Well 2/11 is not the day after 2/3, or is the DORA processed date different than the DORA date? What is the difference in the two DORA's?

A question on the order number. Is the order number predetermined by the computer when you fill out the order or is it a number that your dealership is allotted by Ford or by the region?
Hey Roger,

I'll answer your questions the best I can. Serialization is when they assign your order a VIN number. This means your order is now controlled by the factory and a build date (a week of date) will be assigned to it.

The DORA date? The date of 2/3 is when you placed the order and the date of 2/11 is when they have one printed. DORAs can be re-sent to the dealer every time something is changed on the order (priority, an option, etc). The dates from when the DORA you have to your order date isn't really significant, except that they didn't have the original one from the day after your order.

As for order number. The 4-digit order number is a random number that each dealer uses. Nothing the computer makes up for retail orders. My order numbers this year started with 1450. We just change the 1st digit to correspond with the model year. Last year we started with 0450 (for 2010). Its all dealer choice there. Hope this helps answer your questions.
Old 3/16/10, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Jeff.

For the past 10-12 years I have been dealing with 1960-1970 Corvettes. That older style ordering system was much different than Ford's system of today. Dealers used preprinted paper forms to order the cars that had subsequent letters/numbers on them. The dealers did not use their own order numbering system. Also, the cars were assembled in VIN sequence number order. Coming back to today can be a bit confusing since I try to make things too hard. Also, trying to learn Ford's sytem with total different nomenclature is at times confusing.

I appreciate your help.
Old 3/17/10, 03:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RMS70
Thanks Jeff.

For the past 10-12 years I have been dealing with 1960-1970 Corvettes. That older style ordering system was much different than Ford's system of today. Dealers used preprinted paper forms to order the cars that had subsequent letters/numbers on them. The dealers did not use their own order numbering system. Also, the cars were assembled in VIN sequence number order. Coming back to today can be a bit confusing since I try to make things too hard. Also, trying to learn Ford's sytem with total different nomenclature is at times confusing.

I appreciate your help.
Always glad to offer a helping hand Roger.
Old 3/21/10, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey bud, if you have trouble getting the price I am selling them for now, when your ready come summertime, let me know. I can have a car drop-shipped to you, and all paperwork is done using FedEx overnight envelopes.

Are you saying that I could buy a car from you and then just have it delivered to me? I live in Jackson, MS.
Old 3/21/10, 09:12 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by train21reb
Are you saying that I could buy a car from you and then just have it delivered to me? I live in Jackson, MS.
Yes he can do that for you. Jeff is awesome
Old 3/24/10, 06:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by train21reb
That is correct.
Old 3/24/10, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Yes he can do that for you. Jeff is awesome
Thanks for the kind words Jason. I really appreciate it.
Old 3/24/10, 06:35 PM
GTR Member

That is correct.
Jeff, how does the drop-ship work, shipped to the closest dealer?

Extra cost?

And what if the closest dealer wants to be a turd about taking the delivery for you?
Old 3/24/10, 07:21 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Thanks Jeff. Always thought a DORA looked like this...

Old 3/24/10, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Extra cost?

And what if the closest dealer wants to be a turd about taking the delivery for you?
From what I've pieced together from other posts, there's no additional costs to you or the dealer that receives the car (and yes, it's your closest dealer). And from what I gather, they have no choice but to accept the car, and they can't sell it to anyone else but you.
Old 3/25/10, 11:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Extra cost?

Hey bud, how it works, is you pay for the car and only the car with me (i.e finance, cash, etc). The car is delivered to the dealership of your choosing. Ford ships it there instead of to me. You give me their dealership name, and I get their dealer code and their drop ship code and contact someone there. The car arrives and the dealer will prep and detail the car and do your state paperwork and collect your sale tax and tag fees from you.
There is a fee to be paid to the dealer. Its a fee that covers their prep and delivery (they don't do it for free, lol). Fee usually is anywhere from $250 to $400 depending on dealer. That can be paid to them by the buyer when they pay for the sales tax and tag fees, or the fee can be paid by the dealership where your buying it from. We collect it from you in the financing and we send them a check. Its easier to pay it directly when your there.
But you have to let the selling dealer know what dealership you want it to go to, so we can co-ordinate with the dealership and get things on the same playing field, in regards to logistics.
Old 3/25/10, 12:09 PM
GTR Member

Hey bud, how it works, is you pay for the car and only the car with me (i.e finance, cash, etc). The car is delivered to the dealership of your choosing. Ford ships it there instead of to me. You give me their dealership name, and I get their dealer code and their drop ship code and contact someone there. The car arrives and the dealer will prep and detail the car and do your state paperwork and collect your sale tax and tag fees from you.
There is a fee to be paid to the dealer. Its a fee that covers their prep and delivery (they don't do it for free, lol). Fee usually is anywhere from $250 to $400 depending on dealer. That can be paid to them by the buyer when they pay for the sales tax and tag fees, or the fee can be paid by the dealership where your buying it from. We collect it from you in the financing and we send them a check. Its easier to pay it directly when your there.
But you have to let the selling dealer know what dealership you want it to go to, so we can co-ordinate with the dealership and get things on the same playing field, in regards to logistics.
Cool, this will answer the questions we all had about buying a car from you and having it drop-shipped.
Old 7/31/10, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why is this a sticky? LOL
Old 9/29/10, 03:32 PM
V6 Member

I ordered my car on 9/10 and have been trying to get a DORA. My dealer just e-mailed me back with this:

"The Dora code is no longer available in the order bank. This will not allow
me to request a dora. I guess it is a new thing for the 11 year. We tried
all the codes we had and then went into Ford's system and could not find
anything else that would work. Here is a copy of the order confirmation we
received from Ford. "

Anybody else experience anything like this or is it just my luck?