2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Does ESC really work in the rain/ice?

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/11 | 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Agent
+1 and that is why I stuck with the standard brakes, to get the spare tire.
I was right there with you.

I did not need the Brembos, nor did I want to buy winter tires when I would only need them for maybe 2 months of the year, with 1 or 2 snowfalls.
Old 10/29/11 | 07:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
You can always check with the local wrecking yard for a 2010 or 2011 GT that has been wrecked, and buy the spare tire and jack. If the weight gain is a problem, only use it when travelling or during the winter.

I am still not sure about the corporate thinking on leaving a spare tire out of a car. It might be fine when you are in a Metro area, but believe me, when you are on a two lane 100 miles from the nearest town, with no cell phone coverage, you really, really want a spare tire.

oh crap, you are absolutely right, in the middle of nowhere im screwed if the tire pops

why did they remove the spare tire if you add the brembo pack anyway?
Old 10/29/11 | 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by TOGAN

oh crap, you are absolutely right, in the middle of nowhere im screwed if the tire pops

I believe it's because the spare won't fit over the wider Brembo calipers. For people who've bought aftermarket spares, if their front goes flat, they'd need to move the rear tire forward and put the spare on the back.
Old 10/29/11 | 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Frosty the Snowman
I believe it's because the spare won't fit over the wider Brembo calipers. For people who've bought aftermarket spares, if their front goes flat, they'd need to move the rear tire forward and put the spare on the back.

Duh!...I forgot about that little procedure. I think that was discussed a while back on another thread.

But, again why would you not put a spare in the car that fits or at least make it an option that could be ordered with the car? This isn't only Ford, it is across the board. my 2005 Crossfire did not have a spare, but had the lame air pump. When I retired and came back to South Dakota from Texas, I traded it for my 2007 GT/CS, with a spare!
Old 10/29/11 | 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ohhhh...don't ever downshift in snow or ice. You'll end up in a ditch for sure. Having lived in snowy Rochester my whole life, I learned that little lesson my first year driving in my first 5 speed manual. I was picking up my cousin for school and as I was approaching his driveway I downshifted and ended up going sideways into a ditch. My cousin asks what the hell are you doing and I said I just downshifted, and he replied, you don't ever downshift on snow you idiot. And I'm like...how the hell am I supposed to know that...lol.

But yes, your brakes are your best friend in snow. On a side note, I don't mind the ESC on snow as that really helps for traction for sure. I'm not a fan of ABS in snow and ice though. I feel as though it removes some of the feel that I need when "testing" the brakes to see what the roads are like and can actually cause you to have no ability to brake when on pure ice.
Old 10/30/11 | 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by TOGAN

No you're defintely not screwed. You have a tire repair kit in the back which is much better than nothing, even if a real spare is preferred.
Old 10/31/11 | 12:23 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dafreeze
from what I gather, those summer compound tires turn to stones in the cold and offer no grip, becoming dangerous
Yes, they lose alot at or below 40 degrees, you just need to treat them with respect when it occurs. I drive my car year round and with all the power it has I dont have to many problems. Mostly on broken or rough pavement creating axle hop otherwise its very managable.