Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does anyone know how to change ext. temp. display from °F to °C ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/14, 11:50 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how to change ext. temp. display from °F to °C ?

Or vice versa. This is the outside temp displayed in the center console "radio" display (i.e. not nav system), with the compass and sound system info.

It's not important, but I'd still like to know how. And I know it can be done because somehow I changed it, maybe while poking at the "radio" buttons but I didn't notice. Maybe there's a "secret code", a preset-button combo like for adjusting the compass zone. FWIW all the other stuff is displayed in metric in the small color LCD display, so it's not a metric/non-metric display selection thing (which I do know how to change).

Please, I only want to hear how to do it, exactly for a 2013 Mustang (or extremely close in year), not guesses from people who haven't done it, or how for some other Ford etc., I've heard too many of those.

It's not in the manual, nor apparently in the Mustang forums from what I can find. Strange, because most things like this are in the manual if you look carefully, though a half-decent index would help people a lot more... (I search in the pdf doc instead). Thanks.
Old 1/14/14, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=changing+the+te...a+2013+mustang
Old 1/14/14, 12:47 PM
GT Member

^ Very cute! That's almost the exact thing I typed into google myself yesterday, and not surprisingly, the exact same responses (in a different order), most of which are useless (as was the dealer's...got Edge, Focus, F150 I think). I say "most" because one guy said the metric/non-metric "switch" will work if you do it enough times, glitchy. Guess I didn't do it enough times...so thanks, I'll try it a few more times.

It's a bit weird, because as best I can recall, nothing else you change via the small LCD screen and cursor-pad affects things in the "radio" unit and display, and that's maybe why it's a bit of a kludge and glitchy, and why the displays become "unsynched" (i.e. metric on one, non-metric on the other)?

The odd thing is, I actually prefer °F. I'm an old fart and most of my electronic thermometers/thermostats are set in °F. So I'm a bit torn that I can't adjust the thermometer degrees type separately, the only way I can have metric for distance etc. and non-metric only for temp is via "the glitch". Makes me wonder if there isn't another way to change the ext. thermo reading separately like on most other current Fords. From the "engineering menu" maybe?

Last edited by cfraser; 1/14/14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 1/14/14, 01:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by cfraser
^ Very cute! That's almost the exact thing I typed into google myself yesterday, and not surprisingly, the exact same responses (in a different order), most of which are useless (as was the dealer's...got Edge, Focus, F150 I think). I say "most" because one guy said the metric/non-metric "switch" will work if you do it enough times, glitchy. Guess I didn't do it enough times...so thanks, I'll try it a few more times.

It's a bit weird, because as best I can recall, nothing else you change via the small LCD screen and cursor-pad affects things in the "radio" unit and display, and that's maybe why it's a bit of a kludge and glitchy, and why the displays become "unsynched" (i.e. metric on one, non-metric on the other)?

The odd thing is, I actually prefer °F. I'm an old fart and most of my electronic thermometers/thermostats are set in °F. So I'm a bit torn that I can't adjust the thermometer degrees type separately, the only way I can have metric for distance etc. and non-metric only for temp is via "the glitch". Makes me wonder if there isn't another way to change the ext. thermo reading separately like on most other current Fords. From the "engineering menu" maybe?
There might be a menu somewhere that you cannot get to that would allow you to change it, however I feel like that would at least require some software and an OBD2 to USB cable to make the changes with a laptop.
Old 1/14/14, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can also find how to do it in your owners manual. See:

Temperature conversion:

To switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius,

refer to

Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter.
Old 1/14/14, 03:03 PM
GT Member

^ Not in mine, nor in my pdf file. What version do you have? Are you sure what you're thinking is what I asked about? There is very little in this car I haven't tried re options, including some (officially) undocumented ones. I have manual version 3 (print and pdf).

This is a question that probably only people who live outside the U.S. would ask, mainly Canadian owners I'd guess. The GF likes °C, and I don't mind that much which it is, but when somehow all the important things were in metric and only the ext. temp showed up in °F (by some glitch/mistake), I thought cool, we can both have our preference since it can be changed all by itself.

I am still 99% certain I changed it by poking at the radio buttons when trying to do something else lol. Least I noticed it then, when I was finished poking, but can't remember what I did. Yeah, I did try more poking a la compass zone setting, but nada.

Last edited by cfraser; 1/14/14 at 03:15 PM.