2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Coyote Motor confirmed for MY 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/08, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Very interesting read. I didn't know boost & NA hp were that linearly related.. I always figured there was alot more complicated thermodynamics/fluids/physics equations involved. Seems pretty simple after reading that.
Old 9/22/08, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by turbo05gt>
lol are delicious. mmmm...

Sorry, I fixed your post for you.

Last edited by krnpimpsta; 9/22/08 at 06:01 PM.
Old 9/22/08, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Very interesting read. I didn't know boost & NA hp were that linearly related.. I always figured there was alot more complicated thermodynamics/fluids/physics equations involved. Seems pretty simple after reading that.
We can get into that as well, but I dont really see the need.
Old 9/22/08, 06:06 PM

We can get into that as well, but I dont really see the need.
Yeah, no need, I'm showing pleasant surprise that such a simple calculation is such a good approximation. I wasn't being sarcastic.
Old 9/22/08, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, no need, I'm showing pleasant surprise that such a simple calculation is such a good approximation. I wasn't being sarcastic.

It will get you close!
Old 9/25/08, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
its really all about the tune. Mustang people seem like wusses when it comes to boost.

the evo and supra guys push 50-60psi in their engines, heck even stock an evo runs 20lbs of boost.

i don't see any reason why you couldn't push 15psi with 9.5 compression without direct injection.

It’s not about being a wuss, it’s more about practicality and reliability.

I agree that supras and evos can run some nasty amounts of boost but they where design from the factory with boost in mind.

The 9.5.1 compression is ok with pump gas + boost, I see no problem there as long as the internals hold..

But when you start with a compression ratio that is 11: and above from the factory you’re Limited to the boost that you can run, it’s usually around 5-6 PSI on pump gas.(as long as the gas is good or other wise detonation occurs)
At anytime that you decide you want to up the boost you need up the gas rating. You can blend or use C16
note: (Upping the gas isn’t going to guaranty you that detonation will not happen but it helps.)

Last edited by TTS197; 9/25/08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 9/25/08, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

The problem with that article is that those engines where run on C16 in a controlled (Engine Dyno) environment and also set to an even PSI.
Never once did they push the low compression engines to a higher PSI,
And that’s where the article start to be somewhat misleading.
Not that I disagree with everything.

I don’t know if you missed these parts where they made these statements.

Quote:
The compression formula is fairly accurate, although it should be mentioned that the gains in power are actually greater in the 8.0:1 to 11.0:1 range and tend to diminish slightly thereafter. This means that upping the compression ratio from 8.0:1 to 9.0:1 will likely yield greater gains than going from 12.0:1 to 13.0:1.

QUOTE:
Boost pressure is a multiplier effect, essentially increasing the gains achieved normally aspirated. Remember, this 5.4L 4V was destined for a drag-race vehicle running a steady diet of C16 (high-octane) race fuel. Attempting to combine a high static compression ratio and elevated boost levels is a dangerous affair on pump gas.

I don’t know about you but it seems that the average person that has a high compression engine can only achieve a certain boost level based on octane; even then it’s still a gamble.

But what happens when you take away the C16 from the high compression engines?
How much boost do you think you can run on pump gas?

I have a question?
Would you rather run C16 and risk your engine just to match the output of low compression engine on pump gas @15 PSI?

Old 9/25/08, 07:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't Ford testing an Ecoboost 5.0? So obviously you can get some amount of worthwhile boost
Old 9/25/08, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Isn't Ford testing an Ecoboost 5.0? So obviously you can get some amount of worthwhile boost
Jason,
I really haven't looked at the effects of DI with high compression+boost.
But I can tell you that I have rode in few V6 vehicles with DI and low compression+boost and those seem to run really well.

If it is true that Ford is testing a 5.0 with turbos or some other form of FI(force induction) I think it's safe to say that it's probably a low compression engine.
Most factory engines that are design to hold boost usually are.
(Meaning that the internals are probably different than the one that was mentioned before)
Old 9/26/08, 12:30 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TTS197
Jason,
But I can tell you that I have rode in few V6 vehicles with DI and low compression+boost and those seem to run really well.

If it is true that Ford is testing a 5.0 with turbos or some other form of FI(force induction) I think it's safe to say that it's probably a low compression engine.
Most factory engines that are design to hold boost usually are.
(Meaning that the internals are probably different than the one that was mentioned before)
Makes sense. Also, from the rumors we hear there appear to be two 5.0 engines. The first one introduced will not have DI, and the DI model will come later with more power and efficiency. Maybe the non DI version has to have the high compression ratio to make the power, and therefore does not respond well to boost like you say....
Old 9/26/08, 07:55 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jason,
DI helps because it cools the mixture in the cylinder to allow higher compression without detonation.
Old 9/26/08, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree that the z06 engine makes good power under 5-6 psi but the reason that it does, it's because of the it's displacement.

If that car had 281 C.I with a high CR running at 5-6 psi tops, I'm sure the number would not be all that impressive.

Now if you had another vehicle displacing the same as the Zo6 with a lower compression say 8.1 and running 25 PSI.
It would completely dominate.
Actually high Compression engines on boost lose low end torque.

Comparing apples to apples,
which one do you think is better for boost and will make more power before and after FI?

5.0 4V doch 400HP 375TQ CR 11.1
or
5.0 4V doch 400HP 375TQ CR 8.1<---------this one
Yeah, but who says at 8.1 CR it would get 400HP and 374 TQ NA?

And if it could get 400/375 at 8.1 CR when NA, then the 11.1 CR when NA could probably see much better HP and TQ that 400/375 with some minor tweaking/tuning and basic aftermarket parts before FI for a lot less $ than FI.
Old 9/26/08, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

High compression or low compression it doesn't matter to me. I'll never supercharge another Mustang again since I quit racing. I actually had more fun with my '04 GT just with a catback and gears.
Old 9/26/08, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Makes sense. Also, from the rumors we hear there appear to be two 5.0 engines. The first one introduced will not have DI, and the DI model will come later with more power and efficiency. Maybe the non DI version has to have the high compression ratio to make the power, and therefore does not respond well to boost like you say....

It’s not that it does not respond well to boost, it’s more of a practicality and safety issue.
You can run the boost to 5-6 PSI but you have to take in consideration the fact that you’re limited based on octane. (And that still does not insure a safety net)

I personally would not add FI to high compression engine if it is going to be a daily driver.

Now DI+ Boost+ High compression, I’m still learning about.
Old 9/26/08, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
DI helps because it cools the mixture in the cylinder to allow higher compression without detonation.
Thank you for the insight,
At this point I’m still learning.
The only info I have been able to research are from our VTEC friends.
Old 9/26/08, 02:10 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I personally would not add FI to high compression engine if it is going to be a daily driver.
It really has a lot to do with the tune. With forced induction you just have to be extremely careful with your air/fuel ratios. You just gotta make sure then engine never gets close to the lean side.
Old 9/26/08, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlueDiamond
5.0 DOHC 4Vwill be the best stock mustang GT engine in a long time.

+1!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9/26/08, 02:49 PM

Do you guys think the 2011 5.0 will be upgradeable to have DI?
Old 9/26/08, 07:03 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Definately not
Old 9/26/08, 11:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Do you guys think the 2011 5.0 will be upgradeable to have DI?
Unless you mean swapping the whole motor out for the DI unit later, no.

Quick Reply: Coyote Motor confirmed for MY 2011?