2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/14, 09:57 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Yeah. I think on certain colors it looks very cool.
Old 9/18/14, 05:54 AM
Legacy Tms Member

So I ordered the 3M piece to cover the top of my bumper from AM. That went pretty well. At least the whole bumper is covered now. I also added the MMD grille blackout. I really love the look but the fitment could be a tiny bit better. On the driver's side the piece fits perfectly. On the passenger side as you can see in the pic that the gap is a bit much. Too bad because it's a really nice look at least to me.
Attached Thumbnails Clear bra-nose_3.jpg   Clear bra-nose_2.jpg   Clear bra-nose_1.jpg  
Old 9/18/14, 07:27 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
So I ordered the 3M piece to cover the top of my bumper from AM. That went pretty well. At least the whole bumper is covered now. I also added the MMD grille blackout. I really love the look but the fitment could be a tiny bit better. On the driver's side the piece fits perfectly. On the passenger side as you can see in the pic that the gap is a bit much. Too bad because it's a really nice look at least to me.
Good call on the Clearbra piece, but I'm sorry but I don't care much for the mmd piece. It's tacky. Sorry. Just my 2 cents. Your natural paint piece is perfect for that.
Old 9/18/14, 07:34 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Yeah I feel much better having the top covered. It would suck to spend money on all that coverage to have a chip happen there.

I know that piece wouldn't be for everyone. I've been looking at it for a while. Anyway I like being different.
Old 9/21/14, 09:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Saw plenty of bad clear bras at Cars and Coffee this weekend. You can see them every time!!
Old 9/21/14, 09:52 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Saw plenty of bad clear bras at Cars and Coffee this weekend. You can see them every time!!
Bad installs or just really noticeable as a clear bra?
Old 9/22/14, 07:10 AM
I Have No Life

Saw plenty of naked paint, covered in rock chips, scratches, marring, and etching/stains from bug splatter at Cars and Coffee this weekend. You can see them every time!!

I think one of them was red.

Old 9/22/14, 07:15 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I'd rather clear bra lines than chipping. I know I can still get some chips since I'm not covering the whole car but there is the more relaxed feeling I have driving around now that I've got as much covered as possible for me. That's good enough for me.
Old 9/22/14, 07:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

hahaha nice counter-troll Zto5!!

And VidPro, I was referring to the noticeable seam on the hood
Old 9/22/14, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

And VidPro, I was referring to the noticeable seam on the hood
As a clear bra owner this bothers me too. I've seen cars with the entire hood and fenders done and the clear bra is truly invisible. This would have doubled the cost though ($1600) and I just couldn't afford it.

Maybe someday the price for this stuff will come down.
Old 9/22/14, 08:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
As a clear bra owner this bothers me too. I've seen cars with the entire hood and fenders done and the clear bra is truly invisible. This would have doubled the cost though ($1600) and I just couldn't afford it. Maybe someday the price for this stuff will come down.
Same. I had my whole hood done, but the front fender precut pieces were $150, full fenders was $800 lol. Custom cut pieces, they remove the fender emblems, tuck the film inside the gender edges, then reinstall the emblems. It's a lot more labor.
Old 9/22/14, 09:32 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
As a clear bra owner this bothers me too. I've seen cars with the entire hood and fenders done and the clear bra is truly invisible. This would have doubled the cost though ($1600) and I just couldn't afford it.

Maybe someday the price for this stuff will come down.
That's why I bit the bullet and did the full bumper, hood, fenders, the whole 9 etc. I had the installer extend the edges of the Xpel bra so they could be rolled underneath at the body seams where possible. The fenders have the cutouts for the 5.0 emblems. Sure, there are small defects in the bra here and there as it was a complex install. But for the most part it looks like the paint. Cleaning the whole front of the car is so easy as I don't have to worry about instilling scratches/swirls like I do with the rest of the bare paint. Anything on the front that gets scratched self-heals and looks perfect again. So awesome to not have to worry about rock chips anymore.

Can you tell?

Old 9/22/14, 09:35 AM
I Have No Life

^ beautiful. Nope, can't tell. But be careful, someone on here might chime in and say they can lol.

Mine's not full hood/fenders, and you can't even tell...how much more yours.

Again, nicely done.
Old 9/22/14, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ beautiful. Nope, can't tell. But be careful, someone on here might chime in and say they can lol.

Mine's not full hood/fenders, and you can't even tell...how much more yours.

Again, nicely done.
Thanks, FromZto5. Only place you can really see the seams is the tops of the A-pillar and roof sections but I don't really care. The benefits certainly outweigh the minor cost in aesthetics to me.
Old 9/22/14, 10:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

when the entire front clip has been done, yes its extremely hard to tell. But at a cost that is typically more than having the front clip resprayed. Just two schools of thought on clear bras.

Be honest, how much was the entire front clip to get clear bra'ed? Probably almost enough for a new set of wheels
Old 9/22/14, 11:17 AM
GT Member

when the entire front clip has been done, yes its extremely hard to tell. But at a cost that is typically more than having the front clip resprayed. Just two schools of thought on clear bras.

Be honest, how much was the entire front clip to get clear bra'ed? Probably almost enough for a new set of wheels
Without a doubt it's enough for a set of wheels. Initially I had expectations to pay around 7-800 dollars for a clear bra setup. I'm a detail fanatic/enthusiast so I like the look of detailed bare paint as much as the next guy. It took one nasty chip on my new car for me to say, "that's it, no more."

I worked out a full package deal with my installer for $1700, so it saved me a few hundred had I done sections separately here and there. The full hood, full front fenders, grille surround, extended coverage front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, A-pillars, roof leading edge, full rocker panels/front facing rocker caps, and the lower portion of the rear bumper right behind the tires were protected.
Old 9/22/14, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
when the entire front clip has been done, yes its extremely hard to tell. But at a cost that is typically more than having the front clip resprayed. Just two schools of thought on clear bras. Be honest, how much was the entire front clip to get clear bra'ed? Probably almost enough for a new set of wheels
Do you stop making money after you pay for a mod? Why would you want you repaint your car? Not that the factory does that great of a job...

You have a non metallic paint. Much easier to match than metallic. Go for it. I don't want my car to look like sh*t from my daily commute.
Old 9/22/14, 12:03 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Without a doubt it's enough for a set of wheels. Initially I had expectations to pay around 7-800 dollars for a clear bra setup. I'm a detail fanatic/enthusiast so I like the look of detailed bare paint as much as the next guy. It took one nasty chip on my new car for me to say, "that's it, no more."

I worked out a full package deal with my installer for $1700, so it saved me a few hundred had I done sections separately here and there. The full hood, full front fenders, grille surround, extended coverage front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, A-pillars, roof leading edge, full rocker panels/front facing rocker caps, and the lower portion of the rear bumper right behind the tires were protected.
Originally Posted by laserred38
Do you stop making money after you pay for a mod? Why would you want you repaint your car? Not that the factory does that great of a job...

You have a non metallic paint. Much easier to match than metallic. Go for it. I don't want my car to look like sh*t from my daily commute.
Exactly. Not sure really what he wants out of the discussion. He hates clear bra. ummm. ok. We hate chipped paint and respray/repaints. ok. Check. Done.

This is borderline that KonaBlue guy who loves to hate the 2015 and tells people over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

and over and over

and over and over

oh one more, and over and over.
Old 9/22/14, 01:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

haha nice.

$1700 for a full front clip, thats a hell of a deal. I'd do it for that cheap, but most places around here want a LOT more.

And I don't daily drive mine, LaserRed.

And regarding toughness of the factory paint...this weekend I was behind a semi that drifted into a concrete barrier and spewed out a cloud of dust and rock chips (I could hear them hitting my car). I tried to move over to the side as quickly as I could as it happened, but it was inevitable. I got home and did a thorough investigation...no chips. Just my experience
Old 9/22/14, 01:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

How many anti-clear bra posts do I have to make before I get banned?

Quick Reply: Clear bra