Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/13, 08:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Forkmachine
I have clear bra on the entire front fenders, hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors, A-pillars, first 10 inches of the roof, full doors, splash areas on the rear fenders both in front and behind the rear tires, and the trunk loading area. I would say it is over 3/4 of the car. It was a little under $3k after tax and some special car care products from these Speed Shield guys in Dallas. They did a great job and the Shelby was harder than their usual stuff because they had to trim the material around all of the stripes.

I have had it on the track and driven it quite a bit on sandy/dirty roads on windy days and it has kept my paint looking wonderful. There are a few seams/edges that I wish had been done a little better as they have a little dirt under them, but overall I am very happy with it. Next time I have a car done I might consider removing some parts to make it easier to wrap around to avoid seams.

It is well worth it, and it will save me big moneys on not having to do a paint job down the road. Having the full doors done has even prevented some minor door dings (non-denters).

I have a rock chip right above my driver's window on the roof and now I am kicking myself for not doing the whole car!
you could get the entire front clip painted for $3k or less!! This is hardly a good investment IMO
Old 7/31/13, 09:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

what about after waxing the car, won't there be a difference in shine between the waxed portions and the film covered portions?
Old 7/31/13, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan S.

you could get the entire front clip painted for $3k or less!! This is hardly a good investment IMO
what about after waxing the car, won't there be a difference in shine between the waxed portions and the film covered portions?
Most people given the choice never want their car painted. Not only is there a value concern but quality. It is extremely difficult to find a quality painter that also uses a quality paint.

And no you do not wax the film. It is glossy and blends perfectly.
Old 7/31/13, 03:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just find that a bit hard to believe... You mean to tell me the film doesnt develop any type of marks or swirl marks on it? This is why you wax the paint, to help fill those imperfections.
Old 7/31/13, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I just find that a bit hard to believe... You mean to tell me the film doesnt develop any type of marks or swirl marks on it? This is why you wax the paint, to help fill those imperfections.
YouTube xpel ultimate. It heals itself.
Old 7/31/13, 08:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nope, after 7 years on my 2006 it still looks great and this is not the new 3M, its the original clear....
Old 7/31/13, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by typesredline
YouTube xpel ultimate. It heals itself.
So does the new Nano 3M. Its crazy the stuff they come up with...
Old 8/1/13, 07:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

well alright, I guess I should start calling around to see how much I can get my car done for. Ugh, I'd so much rather spend $1k on go fast mods than this haha. But paint is important.
Old 8/1/13, 02:00 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
Nope, after 7 years on my 2006 it still looks great and this is not the new 3M, its the original clear....
Same here, installed 2.08. Perfect. Although I do not drive it in the winter snow & ice, I have a horrendous bug problem along the lake during summer.
Wish I would have installed a 3" strip on the roof just above the windshield.
Old 8/1/13, 10:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got expel ultimate and it is supposed to self heal, but overall I'm pretty impressed. Got some bird s%*t on it the second day at work. Seem to wipe off easily.
Old 8/3/13, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Same here, installed 2.08. Perfect. Although I do not drive it in the winter snow & ice, I have a horrendous bug problem along the lake during summer.
Wish I would have installed a 3" strip on the roof just above the windshield.
Me too! Got a chip right above the windscreen, go figure....
Old 9/5/14, 07:28 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
So my car had Xpel Ultimate installed yesterday. It's the front bumper, partial hood, and mirrors. I noticed this morning on the nose (not the hood) it looks like the installer creased or pinched a small area. Looks like a scratch from a distance. Is this something that might work itself out say on a hot day like today? The other thing I noticed this morning is that the top of the front bumper is not done. Is that common?

Thanks!

Last edited by VidPro; 9/5/14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 9/5/14, 08:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by VidPro
So my car had Xpel Ultimate installed yesterday. It's the front bumper, partial hood, and mirrors. I noticed this morning on the nose (not the hood) it looks like the installer creased or pinched a small area. Looks like a scratch from a distance. Is this something that might work itself out say on a hot day like today? The other thing I noticed this morning is that the top of the front bumper is not done. Is that common?

Thanks!

That doesn't sound like the best job... You might want to take it back to them. The entire bumper should be covered, shouldn't it?
Old 9/5/14, 08:20 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I just called them and I'm awaiting a return call.
Old 9/5/14, 08:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Well I just talked to the installer. The kit that I got does not come with the top of the bumper. I think it's ridiculous that piece is left off and only available as a custom or full wrap. The crease is another issue. I need to send a picture. I'm calling bull because he had to know he left it there and hoped I wasn't picky enough to care. It's never easy.

Can you guys who've had the partial done tell me if your front bumper is done?
Old 9/5/14, 09:28 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Well I just talked to the installer. The kit that I got does not come with the top of the bumper. I think it's ridiculous that piece is left off and only available as a custom or full wrap. The crease is another issue. I need to send a picture. I'm calling bull because he had to know he left it there and hoped I wasn't picky enough to care. It's never easy.

Can you guys who've had the partial done tell me if your front bumper is done?
I have a 12 and had 3M done 3 years ago. The front bumper is complete wrapped, except the top horizontal surface of the lower bumper (the surface perpendicular to the headlights. This was how the "templates" were designed and laser cut. My guy does excellent "custom" work too, where he just cuts it freehand. This goes back to my emphasis on you need to make sure the INSTALLER is top notch. That's where it's at. If he's top notch, you won't see any creases, bubbles, scratches, etc... it's all perfect.

As to that horizontal surface not being covered, I think it's by design... the main purpose is to protect it from being chipped from rocks, i.e. the perpendicular to the road - surfaces. But yes, I agree, cover it all. I probably should have done that surface too.
Old 9/5/14, 10:07 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks for the info. These guys are supposed to be one of the best but who knows who they send out top the dealers. Waiting for them to look at the pic.
Old 9/5/14, 10:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Thanks for the info. These guys are supposed to be one of the best but who knows who they send out top the dealers. Waiting for them to look at the pic.
Where's the pic? Can you post for me to see?
Old 9/5/14, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I have a 12 and had 3M done 3 years ago. The front bumper is complete wrapped, except the top horizontal surface of the lower bumper (the surface perpendicular to the headlights. This was how the "templates" were designed and laser cut. My guy does excellent "custom" work too, where he just cuts it freehand. This goes back to my emphasis on you need to make sure the INSTALLER is top notch. That's where it's at. If he's top notch, you won't see any creases, bubbles, scratches, etc... it's all perfect.

As to that horizontal surface not being covered, I think it's by design... the main purpose is to protect it from being chipped from rocks, i.e. the perpendicular to the road - surfaces. But yes, I agree, cover it all. I probably should have done that surface too.
I had my 13 done about a month ago and the upper surface of the bumper was not covered. Total cost with tax included the entire front bumper, headlights, leading edge of the hood and front fenders (10-12") plus the mirrors was $642. You can't paint a front clip for less than several thousand dollars these days...well worth the money.

John
Old 9/5/14, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
I had my 13 done about a month ago and the upper surface of the bumper was not covered. Total cost with tax included the entire front bumper, headlights, leading edge of the hood and front fenders (10-12") plus the mirrors was $642. You can't paint a front clip for less than several thousand dollars these days...well worth the money.

John
+1..

Quick Reply: Clear bra