2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/13, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
If you guys are paying 2 or 3K for these covers to be installed, isn't that almost approaching the cost of correcting problem areas and doing a respray?
Old 6/28/13, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
If you guys are paying 2 or 3K for these covers to be installed, isn't that almost approaching the cost of correcting problem areas and doing a respray?

IMO respraying is a waste of money Vs. a clear bra, the chips will come right back making a new sprayed bumper look sand blasted again.

Get a clear bra and be done with it.

I have the the bumper, 1/3 of the hood, mirror and lights protected with a Clear bra... I think I paid somewhere in the $900 range.

money well spent. IMO
Old 6/28/13, 11:31 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by shiazv@gmail.com
^ how much did it cost.. thinking about doing this.
Shiaz, it depends on installer and how well you negotiate. One time I got everything done for 500, another car it was free, so as long as I gave out his installation cards during the car show season. Normal prices range from 600 to 1500 depending on amount of coverage.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Kyle, 2k to 3k is wayyyyyy too much to pay. Those folks who did pay that much got severely ripped off. A professional, top of the line, excellent installation for your typical covered areas (hood, bumper, etc) can be had for around 1k.
Old 6/28/13, 03:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I think I just need to pull the trigger and get it done. I'm about to roll over 1k miles so the car is broke in now and ready for some aggressive driving. For you all that had the clear bra done do u have to keep the car out of the rain for a few days after install? I need to plan out a day when it's not raining.
Old 6/29/13, 12:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I paid $1500 for mine, but that also included the window tint. I think it was $1200 for the film I chose (don't remember off the top of my head which one it was), but it's peace of mind. I don't have to worry about checking the car for chips every time I hear a rock ping off the body. I know the film keeps it protected. It's no harder to wash, wax, care for than the paint. It does, however, make removing bugs from the front end easier.
Old 6/29/13, 12:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy cow guys! I paid $400 for the complete nose, hood, headlights, mirrors and even a spot on the back of my wing where I close the boot. 3M Nano Tech. Why is it getting so expensive??
Old 6/29/13, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by jacostang
Holy cow guys! I paid $400 for the complete nose, hood, headlights, mirrors and even a spot on the back of my wing where I close the boot. 3M Nano Tech. Why is it getting so expensive??
Don't know, might be the install. I've told countless people that it's wearing a clear bra and they don't believe me until they start looking under the edges of the panels. It's invisible and it's installed as well as I could possibly hope for. Way I figure it, I got every penny's worth out of it. I also get it replaced gratis if it exhibits any defects at any time over the next ten years, and if it tears or comes up they will replace it no charge. I'm not complaining.
Old 6/29/13, 01:11 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger

Don't know, might be the install. I've told countless people that it's wearing a clear bra and they don't believe me until they start looking under the edges of the panels. It's invisible and it's installed as well as I could possibly hope for. Way I figure it, I got every penny's worth out of it. I also get it replaced gratis if it exhibits any defects at any time over the next ten years, and if it tears or comes up they will replace it no charge. I'm not complaining.
I need to drive up and have your guy do mine.

What about the stripes though?
Old 6/29/13, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I need to drive up and have your guy do mine.

What about the stripes though?
He's told me it can be removed from the car without removing the stripes, but it has to be done carefully. He said there is no damage to the surface of the stripes from the material. He did say that he can't guarantee the stripes will remain in place, but he'd do his best and if there were any issues, he'd help take care of it (replacing/reinstalling stripes).
Old 6/29/13, 02:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
He's told me it can be removed from the car without removing the stripes, but it has to be done carefully. He said there is no damage to the surface of the stripes from the material. He did say that he can't guarantee the stripes will remain in place, but he'd do his best and if there were any issues, he'd help take care of it (replacing/reinstalling stripes).
I would think if you pulled it off in the opposite direction of the stripe edge - so you don't lift the edge of the stripe - it would come off fine.
And if they use a soapy solution when they remove it - like they do when they position it for applying it (the alcohol solution is for removing the soap so the mask then sticks in place), it would help avoid lifting the stripe.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/29/13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 6/29/13, 02:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I would think if you pulled it off in the opposite direction of the stripe edge - so you don't lift the edge of the stripe - it would come off fine.
And if they use a soapy solution when they remove it - like they do when they position it for applying it (the alcohol solution is for removing the soap so the mask then sticks in place), it would help avoid lifting the stripe.
I would imagine that's correct. He told me he can't guarantee the stripes on vehicles will not be affected for legal reasons. He said that the size of the stripes on our cars make them almost impossible to screw up; it's the smaller, thinner stripes or lettering that is more of a risk. I stopped by his place the next day to answer a question he had for me and I watched his guys work on the hood while I was there. It's fascinating stuff.
Old 6/29/13, 02:51 PM
I Have No Life

You didn't have the front entire bumper done... Sounds like.

For what you mentioned, 400 seems about right. Add the entire bumper tho (which is really important) and that should put you in the 800 - 1000 category.
Old 6/29/13, 02:55 PM
Post *****

I always thought yours was much lower price than average.
Mine was $1089 in 08 through the Dealer for 3M (& window tint): full front, hood, mirrors, rockers, edge of fenders and doors, top of bumper at truck lid.

Heck the 3M do it yourself kit for my PT Cruiser was like $250 (pattern plus a few additional rolls for cutting pieces) in 2010.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/29/13 at 03:19 PM.
Old 6/29/13, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5

For what you mentioned, 400 seems about right. Add the entire bumper tho (which is really important) and that should put you in the 800 - 1000 category.
The entire front bumper cover, A Pillars, Mirrors, hood and lights... The Challenger, Both Mustangs... Challenger was $425.. The 3M on my 2006 is first generation and still looks great 7 years later (5 year Warrantee) even in this 115 + Heat...

Its well worth the money but $500 is where it should be at..

Atlas Armor in the Phoenix Area..
Attached Thumbnails Clear bra-pace-car.jpg   Clear bra-p1010874.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 6/29/13, 03:12 PM
Post *****

Maybe it was more available throughout SoCal and AZ so better pricing. Up here there was only one 3M approved guy that did all the Dealerships in S. OR. (And he went out of biz during the crunch because the Dealerships couldn't get him enough biz when their sales fell off).

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/29/13 at 03:21 PM.
Old 6/29/13, 03:29 PM

That could be it, if there is only one or two people doing it, supply VS Demand and it is a bit time consuming. Like to dip my whole car in it...
Old 6/29/13, 04:38 PM
I Have No Life

The entire front bumper cover, A Pillars, Mirrors, hood and lights... The Challenger, Both Mustangs... Challenger was $425.. The 3M on my 2006 is first generation and still looks great 7 years later (5 year Warrantee) even in this 115 + Heat...

I stand corrected then, Jaco... You got a hell of a deal. Not sure I could find a deal like that nowadays.
Old 6/29/13, 07:02 PM

I stand corrected then, Jaco... You got a hell of a deal. Not sure I could find a deal like that nowadays.
I guess, but that is what they are charging around here, when I read how much in the posts, I was blown away. Thats alot of money for the product. Yes it takes talent to apply it correctly. Its less than $100 for the material for most cars and thats right from 3M when I talked with them at SEMA. Sounds Like there is a need in your area.
Old 6/30/13, 03:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
First off 3M clear bra is not very good at all. It's extremely thin and will yellow. Also the install itself is expensive. Someone who knows they do good work is going to charge for it. The M3 I spoke of has the same coverage as me but paid $300 less. His install shows it too.
Old 6/30/13, 03:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That's true. The top flat part of the bumper adds a lot to the cost. But then again 3M film is cheap. It doesn't hold a candle next to Xpel. Now they are working on a new film to compete but until then. Just like anything if you want the piece of mind and need to go cheap, 3M should work for you. But that doesn't mean there isn't a significant quality difference. I'd rather pay a bit more for the best.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/30/13 at 03:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Clear bra