Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Care for a vinyl convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/10, 05:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Care for a vinyl convertible top

This really belongs on the Car Care forum . . . but nobody seems to go there, so . . .

I'm waiting (and waiting . . . ) for my '11 convertible to arrive. I don't have a garage, so the car will always be outside. Pops talked me out of ordering the "stone" top after his trials trying to keep a white top clean, and the cloth isn't available on the V6 , so I imagine it won't get too dirty, but . . .

How do you clean/protect a vinyl convertible top? Never had one before, so the group's wisdom is much appreciated!
Old 5/8/10, 07:39 PM
GT Member

My convertible will be parked in our garage but I am very interested in this post because I have the Stone top. Talk to us, all you experts!
Old 5/8/10, 08:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
303 protectant!
Old 5/8/10, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Yup. I use 303 cleaner and protectant for my 2005. great stuff. still trying to find out what I need to do with the cloth top I'm getting.
Old 5/8/10, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently met someone at a car show that uses the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges to clean her white convertible top. That same afternoon, I used some on my tan top, and I couldn't believe how well they worked with just plain water! My top is over 4 years old, and up until now, nothing would take out those annoying black marks! I went through about 6 sponges because they do start to crumble from scrubbing, but I got almost every spot off of my top. They work great on door panels and leather seats, too.

I think my wife got a bucket of 12 sponges at Sam's Club. If you have a light colored vinyl top, you HAVE to try these!
Old 5/9/10, 01:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by topoffGT
I recently met someone at a car show that uses the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges to clean her white convertible top. That same afternoon, I used some on my tan top, and I couldn't believe how well they worked with just plain water! My top is over 4 years old, and up until now, nothing would take out those annoying black marks! I went through about 6 sponges because they do start to crumble from scrubbing, but I got almost every spot off of my top. They work great on door panels and leather seats, too.

I think my wife got a bucket of 12 sponges at Sam's Club. If you have a light colored vinyl top, you HAVE to try these!
my old 89's white top was dirty as all get up when i first got...i tryed magic eraser by chance and what a difference! not sure if it would be good to use on something new...but for the old fox..it was perfect...
Old 5/9/10, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
my old 89's white top was dirty as all get up when i first got...i tryed magic eraser by chance and what a difference! not sure if it would be good to use on something new...but for the old fox..it was perfect...
I AM sure....mine's an '06. I scrubbed pretty hard, and I see no damage to the vinyl.
Old 5/9/10, 11:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Centurionusa
Yup. I use 303 cleaner and protectant for my 2005. great stuff. still trying to find out what I need to do with the cloth top I'm getting.
I am getting the cloth top also. I've had a black cloth top on my Vette for over 4 years and it still looks like new and is easy to care for with just regular washing. The cleaner of choice for cloth tops on the Corvette Forum is Raggtop, but I haven't needed it yet. The cloth top has been much easier to care for than the vinyl top I had on my '03 Stang.
Old 5/9/10, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess "303 protectant" was the answer to maintaining a vinyl top, eh? I've been using it on mine, and it seems good. I will say a few words in support of good ol' original Armorall; I bought a TR7 convertible new in 1979, and followed the instructions on the bottle about twice a year for the ten years I had the car. It seemed like a new top, including the vinyl windows, when I sold it. The instructions were, more-or-less: "Spray liberally to ensure complete coverage. Let it sit 12 hours or overnight. Wipe with an absorbent cloth." That's pretty much what I've been doing with the 303 product, as well. Sometimes following directions pays off, even if they are someone else's directions.

303 has a well-thought-of set of products for cloth tops, too. That's where I'd start.