2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Camaro 5 guys are now conspiracy nuts

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/10 | 05:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Of course it's staged, what could ever beat a camaro with it's superior engineering

Last edited by fdjizm; 4/3/10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 4/3/10 | 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

If there wasn't a Camaro with 422hp there probably wouldn't be a Mustang with a 412 hp 5.0. Maybe or maybe not but it sure couldn't hurt.

I'm a Mustang guy, have been since I was 15, but I'm happy Mopar and GM are producing cars like these.

Maybe my priorities are messed up but I like FAST cars, not just Ford or GM. It doesn't matter who builds them ..they all get my respect.

IMHO, all of these cars are close enough that it depends on the track and the driver. I've seen tests that put the 5.0 between 12.8 and 13.2 and 0-60 between 4.2 and 4.5. So which is it? Does really matter?

Put a good driver in an SS and he probably will beat an average driver in a 5.0. Switch cars and the good driver in the GT will beat the average driver in the SS.

If these guys get their rocks off bench racing..fine!
Old 4/3/10 | 06:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
If there wasn't a Camaro with 422hp there probably wouldn't be a Mustang with a 412 hp 5.0. Maybe or maybe not but it sure couldn't hurt.

I'm a Mustang guy, have been since I was 15, but I'm happy Mopar and GM are producing cars like these.

Maybe my priorities are messed up but I like FAST cars, not just Ford or GM. It doesn't matter who builds them ..they all get my respect.

IMHO, all of these cars are close enough that it depends on the track and the driver. I've seen tests that put the 5.0 between 12.8 and 13.2 and 0-60 between 4.2 and 4.5. So which is it? Does really matter?

Put a good driver in an SS and he probably will beat an average driver in a 5.0. Switch cars and the good driver in the GT will beat the average driver in the SS.

If these guys get their rocks off bench racing..fine!
I see and agree w/ your point.

I just want to remind everyone that without the success of the '05 generation, there would be NO CAMARO period. Every one always credits the 'maro for the stang's new powertrains but forgets that fact.... carry on
Old 4/3/10 | 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very typical for C5. Styling is subjective so I'll just say the Camaro ain't the best looking car.

Regarding the race, the only thing I can see Ford doing is putting 87 octane in the Camaro. I cannot see them doing much else. Granted the driver sucked in the first race. All of the journalists got to drive both cars several times to get the best time. The Mustang was .2 to .6 and 3 to 6 mph faster depending on the driver.

About the whole who owes who things, the Mustang invented this segment and the Camaro was made to compete with it. The 2010 Camaro was made because of the 2005 Mustang's success. I remember seeing a 2005 Mustang GT seating in the GM design studio so I think we know what GM was comparing the Camaro with. The 4.0L and the 4.6L where both coming up due for replacement. We probably got the 3.7L instead of 3.5L V6 thanks to the Camaro. We probably got the 5.0L 2 years early thanks to the Camaro.

Competition is a good thing and the Camaro has been good for the Mustang. I just wish the C5 community would show a little more class and/or objectivity in their posts.
Old 4/3/10 | 06:45 PM
GT Member

Of course we all want competition amongst the automakers. But we still have to call a spade a spade.
Old 4/3/10 | 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Gotta love the wishful thinking over there. they actually convince themselves of things like this.

Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS
They got 13.2 in the 1/4 mile? Hmm, like we all thought. It's a driver's race. Good news for Ford guys, they finally got something that can compete right off the show room floor. It's about freaking time.
Originally Posted by Merlin
Exactly, driver's race and they said it was a 6-speed manual - 13.2@109 and they ran the Camaro SS with the 6-speed manual and got a 13.0@111 so go figure - the video looks more like what a V6 Camaro would run versus a Mustang GT.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Last edited by fdjizm; 4/3/10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 4/3/10 | 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I just want to remind everyone that without the success of the '05 generation, there would be NO CAMARO period. Every one always credits the 'maro for the stang's new powertrains but forgets that fact.... carry on
No doubt about that.

Without much competition, Ford would have no reason to come up with an engine like the new 5.0. We all know the 3v 4.6 does really well.

Long live HP wars. All of us benefit from the rivalry regardless where it originates.
Old 4/3/10 | 08:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Of course it's staged, what could ever beat a camaro with it's superior engineering

Isn't that a pic of their output shaft failure.
Old 4/3/10 | 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

as much of a ford person i am of course the chevy guys could post a picture of broke 2 piece spark plugs in the head to answer the better engineering remark
Old 4/3/10 | 08:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by trick25
as much of a ford person i am of course the chevy guys could post a picture of broke 2 piece spark plugs in the head to answer the better engineering remark
Yes they sure can, It can go both ways, but after the hype of the camaro. you wouldn't expect two recalls, toy shop fixes and broken trannies so quickly ya know?
Old 4/3/10 | 08:22 PM
Post *****

Old 4/3/10 | 08:24 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by trick25
Really? Did they break in operation? Nope.

Haven't you seen the numerous posts here on TMS of the successful removal and installation of the 2 pc plugs? I have.

While not perfect, they did not fail and leave you stranded waiting for a tow. Apples and oranges.
Old 4/3/10 | 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I just want to remind everyone that without the success of the '05 generation, there would be NO CAMARO period............

Well, maybe or maybe not. But without the intervention of the US government, there would not have been a new 'maro for sure.
Old 4/3/10 | 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

what's the brake pic showing? looks like the caliper is split in 2
Old 4/3/10 | 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
Stick on wheel weights from GM to combat brake squeel on a nice hot brake caliper. a few reports of them flying off also.

This was actually approved as a permanent fix, then they switched to roller skates...

Last edited by fdjizm; 4/3/10 at 08:37 PM.
Old 4/3/10 | 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

just read up on GMs engenuity with the brake squeal
why not just retrofit when they came up with the dampening weights on the pad backings?
cheap company, they wouldn't even spend the money when us taxpayers gave them the money

don't see them on the Mustangs brembos

Old 4/3/10 | 09:25 PM
Post *****

If they were on Mustang Brembos, which of course they're not, we'd go ape**** over it. Instead of searching for excuses or trying to ignore it like some other car enthusiasts do.
Old 4/3/10 | 09:31 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
The calipers are split in two, the two halves bolt together.

Brembo does make a mono-block caliper but the ones in that pic and on the Mustang are the two piece variety.

The mono-blocks are a bunch more expensive.
Old 4/3/10 | 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Good discussion. My only thing with the camaro folks is that they have gone to making outrageous assumptions regarding the journalists who review our cars. Guys like Matt Farah and Wes Siler are not going to skew tests and results. They are going to call things as they see and feel them. Now the regular car magazines, who knows, they're a different story.

I'm probably in the minority but I actually think the Camaro does look good. It's design is not for everyone, though, I get that. Regardless if you like it or not, it is a very striking design and it turns heads. I know I always check them out when I see them on the road.
Old 4/3/10 | 10:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by whysoserious
I'm probably in the minority but I actually think the Camaro does look good. It's design is not for everyone, though, I get that. Regardless if you like it or not, it is a very striking design and it turns heads. I know I always check them out when I see them on the road.
Yeah, I saw a metallic red one yesterday that looked pretty nice in my rear view mirror.
The woman driving it wasn't bad either.

Quick Reply: Camaro 5 guys are now conspiracy nuts