Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buzz from instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/14, 09:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzz from instrument cluster

I am getting a buzzing sound from the silver circle encasement around the speedometer. Anyone else experience this? Solutions? Thanks
Old 12/9/14, 03:31 AM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

some black electrical tape wrapped around the gauge usually will reduce/eliminate the noise. Obviously the dash/cluster need to be pulled to get at it.
Old 12/9/14, 09:58 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DrDisney
I am getting a buzzing sound from the silver circle encasement around the speedometer. Anyone else experience this? Solutions? Thanks
Hey DrDisney,

It’s been a while! Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer yet?

Deysha
Old 12/9/14, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I also hear a buzzing sound somewhere from dash near passenger side (or at least it sounds like its coming from there) every time I go over a crack in the pavement. It's super annoying.
Old 12/9/14, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

For a temp solution, pull on the loose cluster ring slightly toward you with your thumb and index finger and the loose clips from behind the ring will "lock" against the cluster housing...it will eventually get loose again.

But here is a permanent fix...download the pdf:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tle-fixed.html

Last edited by magnido45; 12/9/14 at 11:57 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 12/10/14, 09:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lakersfreak
I also hear a buzzing sound somewhere from dash near passenger side (or at least it sounds like its coming from there) every time I go over a crack in the pavement. It's super annoying.
Originally Posted by magnido45
For a temp solution, pull on the loose cluster ring slightly toward you with your thumb and index finger and the loose clips from behind the ring will "lock" against the cluster housing...it will eventually get loose again.
But here is a permanent fix...download the pdf:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tle-fixed.html
Magnido45 has some great information, lakersfreak. You should address this rattle with your Ford Dealer first, and let me know what they say.

Deysha
Old 12/14/14, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Thanks everyone. Tha PDF probably is the path to the solution.
Old 12/21/14, 09:00 PM
GT Member

Magnido45, thanks for that detailed solution! I think I'm going to get that done.
Old 12/22/14, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DrDisney
Magnido45, thanks for that detailed solution! I think I'm going to get that done.
Let us know how it went if you try the fix yourself...
Caution...I tried messing around with my cluster a while back and it was easy to pull out...but it was a pain to put back in because the steering wheel was in the way...you have to get it in at a specific angle to push it back in...but it's do-able...
Old 12/22/14, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lakersfreak
I get this at times too...still can't figure out where it's coming from unless you have a passenger sit and stick their ear towards the buzzing sound while you're driving...
Old 12/22/14, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I get a fast passed rattle from the chrome ring around my driver side AC vent when the car is cold inside. My guess is the ring contracts when its cold and leaves just enough of a gap to rattle against the housing. It goes away as the car warms up. Eventually I'll get tired of it, pull the ring out and put something behind it to keep it from rattling. We have to keep in mind that Ford does everything they can to build these cars with an eye towards cost reduction. It doesn't bother me though because the basic construction of the car is solid and with a little effort you can easily make the car better and more refined in almost every respect. So while a company like BMW or Lexus might engineer their interior components to never rattle by way of cushioning or backing I keep in mind that those cars also cost a fortune. To get even V6 level of performance at Lexus you have to spend 50 grand or so. To get Mustang GT performance you're in the 60 to 70 grand range. So I don't mind having to tinker with a few interior components here and there to keep the rattles and knocks from taking place. It's part of owning a car like the Mustang. If I wanted a mind numbingly boring car that I never interacted with I'd buy a Lexus.

Last edited by 3point7; 12/22/14 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12/22/14, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a buzzing noise sounded like coming somewhere from the instrument/dash area but turned out to be the rearview mirror. Try holding the mirror and see if buzzing goes away. Replaced mine under warranty.
Old 12/22/14, 11:34 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
All of the chrome dash surrounds in the 2010-2014 have no real absorption material. I took some foam, and, using a very small flat-head screwdriver, wedged the foam along the outside of each chrome surround. Fixed most of the rattles - permanently. If it's the rear-view mirror, or inside the instrument panel, then a real repair is needed.
Old 12/26/14, 08:17 AM
GT Member

PJRManagement, can you give more detail on what you did? Did you pull out the cluster or was this somehow done with the instrument cluster still in place?