Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buy 2014 now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/14, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great information everyone. As far as the GT's go. I really don't think I need one. sure, it would be fun to have, but I would honestly never take advantage of it's power. I drive a 2009 jeep patriot right now (quite possibly one of the worst vehicles ever developed, I've had all sorts of problems with it...) and find myself maybe once a year needing to put the pedal down and accelerate as quickly as possible (usually to merge in front of some jerk on the freeway) anyways, to make my point, any way you look at it a GT will cost 6-8k more for something I don't think i'd use. I just can't justify it. I would much rather take that extra money and invest it in the market.

As for options, I just want an automatic base model. They all have power windows/door locks, that's all I really care about.

For others who are in the same or similar situation I am in: I just recently requested 2 mustang brochures from ford (one using my first name and one my middle name) I hear sometimes you can get a 750 dollar coupon with them when mailed to your address.

Once I again, I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to share your opinions and information with me they've really helped.
Old 2/15/14, 04:19 AM
Cobra Member

If a base V6 has all the power you need and and you don't need a lot of options, consider finding/ordering one with the tech package. Adds sync & Bluetooth which really is a must on modern vehicle for pairing your cell phone. The cost is minimal and will help the trade in value later.

Consider also that you could get a loaded used V6 premium, for the price of a new one. If you really want to do your homework on this purchase, you owe it to yourself to test drive a loaded model and see if you like the leather seats, power seats, stereo, Nav, glass roof, Recaros, upgraded wheels on the performance package, etc.

Sites like cars.com can quickly find just what you are looking for in your area and give you a chance to evaluate different color and option combos with an auto/V6. Good luck.
Old 2/15/14, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All off the advice offered was sound. The only thing I found suspect was the suggestion that you would average 21 mpg with the GT. I occasionally average 21 if I'm on the freeway for an entire tank of gas. I expect 17ish combined mpg. If you have the discipline to get 21, you are more focused than I could be.

You have a lot of great opportunities available for you and I salute your choice to get a car you can afford instead of putting yourself in a squeeze every month. If a v6 has all the power you want (and 300+ ponies is respectable) then by all means go that route. If you think you'd enjoy more the suggestion to go slightly used is a really smart way to go....

When you finally make your selection be sure to post pics of her.
Old 2/15/14, 12:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
All off the advice offered was sound. The only thing I found suspect was the suggestion that you would average 21 mpg with the GT. I occasionally average 21 if I'm on the freeway for an entire tank of gas. I expect 17ish combined mpg. If you have the discipline to get 21, you are more focused than I could be. You have a lot of great opportunities available for you and I salute your choice to get a car you can afford instead of putting yourself in a squeeze every month. If a v6 has all the power you want (and 300+ ponies is respectable) then by all means go that route. If you think you'd enjoy more the suggestion to go slightly used is a really smart way to go.... When you finally make your selection be sure to post pics of her.
It's not suspect in the least. I've owned my '11 GT and daily drove it for 2.5 years and 45,000 miles to date. I track the mileage religiously and am averaging 21.7.
Old 2/15/14, 01:32 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Look into used GTs. Trust me, the V6s are great but once you get a taste you won't be satisfied until you have the V8. Don't buy new. Let someone else take the hit as it depreciates the moment you drive it off the lot. I speak from experience. The original tag on my LOADED GTCS was 43k in 2012. I bought it gently USED with roughly 6k miles on the OD for 26k. It still has a new car smell! Not a scratch on her. The payments are roughly the same as my NEW boring BASE traded v6 purchased in 2011. Sure I started the loan term over but I'm driving the car I've always wanted!! Tomorrow is not a guarantee. Life life to the fullest.
Wow... You really dislike your v6 now eh? I bet you're loving your gtcs

Originally Posted by kylerohde
It's not suspect in the least. I've owned my '11 GT and daily drove it for 2.5 years and 45,000 miles to date. I track the mileage religiously and am averaging 21.7.
That's because you drive her like a gramma, Kyle

Op, my advice is go with what makes sense to you financially. Only you can dictate what you can afford.
Old 2/15/14, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one said that you didn't or that it was suspect that you do. What was suspect wasn't that you as an individual might get 21 mpg combined. I have absolutely no reason to doubt you, I'm sure your a very honest and responsible individual. What was suspect was that you said, "Figure it like this. You're going to average about 21 MPG with a GT " MANY DO NOT.

EDMUNDS got 16 on their long term test http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/...0-wrap-up.html

CAR AND DRIVER got 18 5.0 and 21 for the V6 http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang

So to say, "You're going to average about 21 MPG with a GT" is a little suspect. As I said I salute your discipline.
Old 2/15/14, 06:41 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Wow... You really dislike your v6 now eh? I bet you're loving your gtcs That's because you drive her like a gramma, Kyle Op, my advice is go with what makes sense to you financially. Only you can dictate what you can afford.
Lol it's not that I dislike my old sixer, I just really love the new ride. It really is a step above in performance, sound, and handling.
Old 2/16/14, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
No one said that you didn't or that it was suspect that you do. What was suspect wasn't that you as an individual might get 21 mpg combined. I have absolutely no reason to doubt you, I'm sure your a very honest and responsible individual. What was suspect was that you said, "Figure it like this. You're going to average about 21 MPG with a GT " MANY DO NOT. EDMUNDS got 16 on their long term test http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/...0-wrap-up.html CAR AND DRIVER got 18 5.0 and 21 for the V6 http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang So to say, "You're going to average about 21 MPG with a GT" is a little suspect. As I said I salute your discipline.
Fair enough. Gearing has something to do with it, as a lot of you guys averaging 18 have 3.73s I think. I've got 3.31s. I don't baby my car for sure, and my driving is probably 2/3 highway 1/3 city. But the worst mileage I've ever had on a tank was about 18.5...and that included 30 mins of lapping Road America at fairly high speeds.
Old 2/16/14, 08:05 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woodzusa
It took 3 to 4 weeks for me to get my coupon. Just depends.
Also another vote for a GT. I had a V6 and there is certainly nothing wrong it and it is a strong motor. Having said that, the GT is a jump ahead.

My insurance went up 10 dollars per month when I went from a 11 v6 convertible to a 2014 GT convertible. But I am getting old
My coupon came via email. Just printed it out.
The salesperson said if you want to buy a V6 don't even think about driving a GT. I test drove the GT and game over. The V6 is terrific but this Coyote V8 is world class.

Last edited by todcp; 2/16/14 at 08:07 PM.
Old 2/16/14, 10:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The combined rated mpg for the v6 is 22-23. The combined rated mpg for the 5.0 is 20 mpg. Not that big of a difference.
Old 2/17/14, 02:56 AM

I saw an advertisement this presidents day weekend for a grey v6 automatic advertised at 15790 after the sale price/rebates. I was ready to buy it. Unfortunately when I got there the dealer made a "mistake" in the advertisement and it was a manual. I really want an automatic so, it looks like i'm back to the waiting game. I'm sure i'll find something eventually. I'll make sure to post pictures once I do.
Old 2/17/14, 04:27 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by todcp
My coupon came via email. Just printed it out. The salesperson said if you want to buy a V6 don't even think about driving a GT. I test drove the GT and game over. The V6 is terrific but this Coyote V8 is world class.
The v6 is a terrific engine. However, when I decided to crossover into the mustang world 2.5 years ago, I didn't even consider the V6. I test drove the v8 from day 1. I still remember that test drive to this day.

Years of being an import lover, 4 bangers to v6s... They were nice. But when I drove that v8; that combination of power and oh that sound. All I needed was 1/2 hour in that demo car, and I renounced all that I regarded as "holy" in the import v6 world and I've never looked back.

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/17/14 at 02:41 PM.
Old 2/17/14, 04:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Fair enough. Gearing has something to do with it, as a lot of you guys averaging 18 have 3.73s I think. I've got 3.31s. I don't baby my car for sure, and my driving is probably 2/3 highway 1/3 city. But the worst mileage I've ever had on a tank was about 18.5...and that included 30 mins of lapping Road America at fairly high speeds.
The 3.31 gears will make a difference. I legitimately got 20+mpg on the highway with the Trinity until I changed the exhaust; I can believe that 21 combined is possible in the 5.0 with that much highway driving.
Old 3/25/14, 05:20 PM
V6 Member

ofcourse they will drop in price, but the dealers inventory will quickly diminish and your options will become limited.