Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembo / Track Pack Spare Tire Summary and Question

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/14, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaFoam
Looks like I'll be making a spare. Walked out from work this morning... 1600 miles on it. Completely flat.
I think I will use califsp's solution.

Hey califsp, how tight is the fitment diameter-wise? Is there room for another 2mm so one could use 255/45 or 285/40? This should match the Brembo tire diameter exactly if I didn't screw up the math.
Old 6/9/14, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SeaFoam
I used the mobility kit, it worked - took it to the dealer and they didn't change out the pressure monitor or anything. Is it going to need replaced?

I assume you used the slime. I would think if your sensor were hosed you'd be getting TPMS errors.

I would be interested in knowing what the dealer has to say. It'd be nice to know if the goo were generally TPMS safe.

Incidentally, the Slime company claims theirs are TPMS safe, but I have a feeling this depends a lot on the manufacturer of the TPMS system.
Old 6/9/14, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I assume you used the slime. I would think if your sensor were hosed you'd be getting TPMS errors.

I would be interested in knowing what the dealer has to say. It'd be nice to know if the goo were generally TPMS safe.

Incidentally, the Slime company claims theirs are TPMS safe, but I have a feeling this depends a lot on the manufacturer of the TPMS system.
It went straight to the dealer, then sat most of the day getting the undercoating done and it didn't lose any pressure. They took the tire off, couldn't find anything, so they filled it back up with Nitrogen and sent me on my way.

I told them I used the mobility kit, they didn't seem concerned... Didn't balance it or take the tire off - I'm going to call Ford tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Guess that takes care of it going to the track this weekend, unless they give me the OK.
Old 6/10/14, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

According to the manual, I have to have the stem and TPMS replaced on that wheel. Customer service couldn't tell me if that's covered under warranty (which I'd hope so, being as the car is a little over 2 weeks old), so I may have to eat the cost of it. I'm guessing since the sensor is $50, the stem is probably $20, I wouldn't be shocked if it came out around $120...
Old 6/10/14, 10:26 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey berzerk. The wheel and tire size I posted is about all the spare well will accomodate. Can't stress enough what I said about the jack fitting under the side skirt when you have a flat. It's pretty low.
Old 6/10/14, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by califsp
Hey berzerk. The wheel and tire size I posted is about all the spare well will accomodate. Can't stress enough what I said about the jack fitting under the side skirt when you have a flat. It's pretty low.
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess I your original post I stopped reading after "if your Mustang is lowered" because mine's stock. Think the oem jack would work?
Old 6/15/14, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I went to Discount Tire and got my hands on a 225/50R18. It looks like it still sticks up about a half an inch or an inch when placed in the spare tire well. I stupidly didn't bring my trunk liner with me so I can't tell for sure but does it fit height wise without a bump?

Also those AR wheels definitely clear the Brembos, right? When comparing the offsets to the OEM track pack tire, the Discount Tire guy was quite skeptical.

And has anyone tried using the regular GT spare tire with a wheel spacer? This is my favorite idea but the lack of availability of parts and information has made it hard to research. If anyone knows the tire and/or wheel size of the OEM 13-14 spare tire (for GTs), I'd appreciate the info.